The Student Room Group

International Baccalaureate as an adult, in the USA. Possible?

I am over 30 years old, live in the USA, and have been fascinated by the IB Diploma Programme for some time. I could have requested a transfer to an IB school over here back when I was completing my US high school diploma, but I did not do that at that time. Twenty years have since gone by, and that option closed long ago.

I have been trying to find out whether or not it is possible for me to earn an IB at my age. I've done a bit of searching and it seems like all, or nearly all, IB schools in the USA are traditional "High Schools" that do not accept adults over 21 on any terms.

There are "Adult High Schools" here, but they are designed to get you out the door as soon as possible with a barebones diploma - they don't want you taking extra time or using extra resources, and as far as I can tell, none of them are IB schools anyway.

We also have institutions called "Community Colleges" that are somewhat similar to UK Sixth Form Colleges - at a US Community College, one can complete certain vocational qualifications and/or complete a two-year program leading to an "Associate's Degree" that, if completed with high enough grades, virtually guarantees admission to many US universities. What these schools do not have, however, is the IB. Many of them will accept an IB and/or individual IB credits as equivalent to some of their coursework, but you can't take or complete an IB there.

I have contacted the IB Organization (IBO), and they told me to find an IB World School that will accept me. So, are there any IB World Schools that would accept a 30-something American? If so, what do you think are the best options? Is there one that can be completed right here in the USA, or that can be completed primarily by correspondence?
To be honest, I find it highly unlikely... I read somewhere that you have to be under 18 to take the IBDP. Therefore I doubt that an adult school with IB exists or an actual school will accept a 30 year old person as a student when s/he has already graduated.

You could learn one of the subjects taught at the IB, like the theory of knowledge and teach it at a school (?)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending