The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yes. 4 paracetamols and a cup of coffee numb my migraines. :borat:
Reply 2
Original post by Vixen47
Yes. 4 paracetamols and a cup of coffee numb my migraines. :borat:

Isn't the max like 2 tablets in 4 hours?

Anyway OP yes i can assure you they do work, but they're more effective if taken with something else at the same time like ibuprofen or caffeine.
Original post by james1211
Isn't the max like 2 tablets in 4 hours?

I'm a rebel. :colonhash:

Have you ever had a migraine? I have to force myself to stop at 4 when it's really bad. Recommended max is 2, but the max until OD/death is A LOT more so I'm fine. :h:
Reply 4
are they good for anxiety as well?
Reply 5
Original post by Vixen47

Have you ever had a migraine? I have to force myself to stop at 4 when it's really bad. Recommended max is 2, but the max until OD/death is A LOT more so I'm fine. :h:

My girlfriend has them and has something called migraleve for it which is paracetamol and codeine, that's a lot safer and more effective anyway.

Excessive paracetamol is extremely damaging for the liver over time, twice the max dose isn't safe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think it does, definitely works for me - I prefer to take the weakest painkillers available. It's great cause you can't build up a tolerance too it, but obviously don't take it too often due to the whole liver damage thing.
Works well for fever (though it wears off way before the 6 hours you can take more) but I find it totally useless for pain.
Paracetamol works by blocking the production of prostaglandins, this in turn makes the body less aware of pain and fever.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
They work through biological means; therefore they are certainly not placebos (though it is entirely possible they could have a placebo contributory effect). They can help rid you of fever and numb mild to moderate pain. They work as follows:

"Paracetamol works as a painkiller by affecting chemicals in the body called prostaglandins. Prostaglandins are substances released in response to illness or injury. Paracetamol blocks the production of prostaglandins, making the body less aware of the pain or injury. Paracetamol reduces temperature by acting on the area of the brain responsible for controlling temperature." (http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Painkillers-paracetamol/Pages/Introduction.aspx)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
I believe there are some on-going trials which show that IV paracetamol can be compared against morphine.
Original post by Vixen47

The recommended max is 2 for a reason, obviously having >2 won't kill you, but it can result in negative health effects over time
Pretty good at getting rid of hangover headaches for me.
Reply 13
It's not a placebo...it's an effective drug for relieving mild pain.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you're Asian then yes, it does. We believe it cures every disease in the world and is also the cure to cancer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by -Rainbow Drops-
If you're Asian then yes, it does. We believe it cures every disease in the world and is also the cure to cancer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So very true. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SophieSmall
Paracetamol works by blocking the production of prostaglandins, this in turn makes the body less aware of pain and fever.

Brings back memories of my pharmacology exam to life
Reply 17
Original post by Vixen47

Every time you take more than 2 in a 4 hour period your damaging your liver. Speak to a doctor about your migraines and get something prescribed.
Original post by -Rainbow Drops-

Posted from TSR Mobile

Even if you're drowning too.
Original post by queen-bee
Brings back memories of my pharmacology exam to life

The sad thing is I haven't learnt anything like that on my course :frown:

That was simple googling

Latest