The Student Room Group

Vauxhall Adam Finance Deal?

thx for all input
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Check out the small print with the insurance on your recent problems. You don't want to jump into something like this and get rejected on the insurance. I had one of these on test before launch, and I have to say that I didn't like it. I found it gutless, cheap and nasty. It looks great, but it's just a Corsa in posh(er) clothing. I'd suggest getting a private finance deal on a second hand car. Which for around £4,000, you will find plenty of decent stuff out there.

Doing this and sucking up the insurance premium will easily outweigh the extra cost of buying a brand new car. Also, if this gets written off too, then you're in a rather large spot of bother financially.

Let's not even go into how badly Vauxhalls depreciate...
They're so slow :frown:
Original post by Walkaah
Have you driven a Vauxhall Adam?

Yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Walkaah
Hi everyone

I had a crash a couple of weeks ago and my renewal quote has gone up to £2,000 (I'm 18) as the insurers have not come to a conclusion as to who's fault the accident was. To add, if they decide it was the other drivers fault my insurance will drop to around £1,000.

My car is a VW Polo 1.4 and has been classed as a write off (I believe a CAT C). Ingenie, my insurance company have offered to buy the car off me for £1,070. As my car (prior to the accident) was already a CAT C and there are some other faults with the car, such as the locks fail to work, the car is dented and the boot will only open with the key, I have come to the conclusion that I will probably accept the offer.

As I need a car ASAP in order to commute to and from work, I am looking into finance deals.

I visited a vauxhall dealership today and I'm looking at financing a Vauxhall Adam, I want it completely blacked out (image below).

Here is a link to the deal I'm looking at (the top one on this link): http://www.lookers.co.uk/vauxhall/offers/new-car-offers/vauxhall-adam-offers/

Now, as the top car is Red and I have spoken to the dealership and that car at that price will only be sold in red, its going to cost me more to get it blacked out how I want it.

Originally the deposit was £169 and the monthly fee for 2 years was £169, however as I want to personalize it the deal is looking more like £2,000 deposit and £240 a month, but obviously the more I deposit the lower the monthly fee will be.

The reason why this deal seems to be so good is:
1. I've managed to negotiate a 2 year deal which originally was 3 years
2. I pay £99 for insurance for the first year
3. Brand new 15 plate car which I can decide to either keep or get rid of in 2 years time, and either buy another car outright OR choose another vauxhall and do the same deal all over again and pay £99 for insurance again.
4. With the £1,070 I will get from my insurance company if I decide to sell them the car I can put that towards this deal.
5. I would just like to add around a 5th of my monthly income would go towards this car so that's also something to think about.

The specs of the particular Adam I want are:
ADAM Capital Black 1.2i 16v VVT
I’ll be Black exterior paint
I’ll be Black roof colour pack
17” Hurricane Wheels (black gloss)
Extreme Carbon Pack
Black Morocanna (Superheroes)
Piano Black interior trim
Sports pedals
IntelliLink
Rear parking sensors

Summing up all the above factors, I would really appreciate it if any of you could provide me with some advice as to A) What I should do, B) What you would do in my situation.

Thanks so much, have a good day :smile:

P.S. Also tell me if you like the car? Here are some more pics of the one I want: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2014-Vauxhall-Adam-1-2I-Slam-3Dr-Petrol-Hatchback-/251858011586?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3aa3e845c2
P

You're literally willing to part with about £4000 over a two year period to get the thing in black? It won't stop it being a pretty basic car...
Original post by Walkaah
Actually the dealer has now said to me it is a 3 year deal. So £200 deposit + £200 a month for 3 years, then an extra £3,000 if I want to keep the car. Remember, I get free insurance for year one so saving up to £2,000 as I've just had a crash.

Ok. You previously said £2,000 deposit for the black compared to £169 for the red!
I personally do love the adam, but I'm biased as I have one. I've only ever seen one adam in black and it did look pretty smart, and I don't think it's seen as much as other colours.

I do have to admit they are a bit slow, which is a bit annoying. Mines a 1.4 tho yours may be different.

I don't have much experience with finance deals I let my stepdad do the negotiating with mine haha. But if you can afford it and you're not paying over the odds or can't get a better deal elsewhere then it probably could be good. I personally preferred the hire purchase finance options as I wanted to own the car asap really. I paid £3000 deposit (£1000 of that was in part exchange) and £275 a month for 2 years, which I don't think is much different to your overall price if you chose to buy the car after the deal ended.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Get GAP insurance if you are scared of writing off a new car..

GAP insurance is there to top up your comprehensive insurance settlement if your car is written off/ a total loss (accident, theft, fire, flood damage)

It's useful because almost all cars depreciate in value, which means any payment from your insurer is likely to be less than you originally paid for your car. The top up from the GAP policy means you're back in the same position you were in when you first bought the car. It's especially useful if you have finance, as sometimes your insurer's settlement won't be enough to cover the finance balance and it means you're not left with money to pay on a car that has been written off.
Would it not be cheaper to get the red one and get it wrapped?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Walkaah
thanks for your reply! I was actually going to get a 1.2 Adam, so if you think the 1.4 is slow then wtf am I dealing with here!!!! xD

Tbh, I think the 1.2 Adam will be roughly the same speed as your old 1.4 Polo, maybe a little slower. I've driven both.

I'm not trying to put you off! The lack of power was something that really stood out to me when I was helping a family member buy a car.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Walkaah
Yes sorry, thats what I was originally quoted. Since then, I have discussed a little bit more with the dealer and they've said its now a £200 deposit as I will be taking a car already created as appose to a car customized by me. What do you think about the deal then? :smile:

Seems good because of the insurance. I'm old enough not to have to worry about insurance costs so I'd never get a small car, but as you're still in a high insurance age bracket it makes some financial sense. Make sure you can afford to pay it for the next three years though as things like moving house or going to uni can have more of a financial impact than you think - if you are likely to potentially struggle to pay down the line then avoid getting a car on finance. Also have you passed your credit checks/got a willing guarantor?

Probably a decent enough car for what it is though, and if you're comfortable with the terms of the credit agreement then go for it!

Although it does look nicer in black, I wouldn't pay a load extra just for a colour. Would you pay a balloon payment at the end or would you give it back? Because if it's the latter, remember that you'll have parted with a considerable amount of money and have nowt to show for it after three years.

Some finance deals automatically cover gap insurance (my GFs Fiat 500 does) but if it doesn't, then make sure you do this - it only takes 5 minutes of googling to realise what a mess you can get into if you write it off without gap insurance...
Those saying don't pay extra for the colour do have a fair point. But then again, if you're willing to take out a finance deal for a brand new car on hire purchase, then might as well blow your cash on something you want. Soon as it's already made, then that will help you to swing a deal. On a three year deal, that isn't too bad really. Bare in mind that you will be paying £7,200 in monthly payments alone over the 36 months. So be sure that you want it!
Reply 12
Original post by monkeyman1990
-

Original post by live_a_life
-

Original post by shaymarriott
-

-

Original post by NatashaLee
-

Original post by Feraz
-

Original post by MrWhosane
-

Original post by live_a_life
-

-

Original post by monkeyman1990
-

Hi everyone. I have updated the first post of the thread just in case you were interested. Thanks!
- - -

Definitely no balloon payment at end?
At the end you have to pay the balloon payment or hand back the car.
+ you have to stick to the amount of millage you agreed you would do in a year otherwise there is extra charges, if i was you i would read everything before signing.
£260 a month for an Adam? You could get a <10k miles Volvo c30 r design for £240 a month :|
Original post by Walkaah
thanks for your reply! I was actually going to get a 1.2 Adam, so if you think the 1.4 is slow then wtf am I dealing with here!!!! xD

I think some times it's just a bit slow at taking off (but I'm always comparing it to my old corsa which was very nippy) Once I'm off it usually picks up speed quick enough then.

I'm assuming you was happy enough with it to go ahead though, and if I had the choice again I would still have picked an adam :smile:

As for extras you could ask for, I got a full tank of petrol (they were adding on an extra £20 to just half fill it originally) and I got some car mats thrown in, you could ask for something like that? Always worth a try ey

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by ToastyCoke
£260 a month for an Adam? You could get a <10k miles Volvo c30 r design for £240 a month :|

...and how much would the insurance be on that for me??

Original post by NatashaLee
I think some times it's just a bit slow at taking off (but I'm always comparing it to my old corsa which was very nippy) Once I'm off it usually picks up speed quick enough then.

I'm assuming you was happy enough with it to go ahead though, and if I had the choice again I would still have picked an adam :smile:

As for extras you could ask for, I got a full tank of petrol (they were adding on an extra £20 to just half fill it originally) and I got some car mats thrown in, you could ask for something like that? Always worth a try ey

Posted from TSR Mobile

Will do. Tysm!!
Original post by Walkaah
...and how much would the insurance be on that for me??

I don't think you quite understand how insurance works. Insurance works on facts and figures, not common sense; unfortunately. For us, we would think that a 1.4 car that costs £1,000 would be cheaper to insure than a car that's got a 2 litre engine and is £12,000 - yeah? Fair assumption?

What you'll actually find that is LOADS of people your age bracket have the £1,000 car so it's, statistically, involved in more accidents. This makes the £1,000 car high risk and expensive to insure. Now, not as many people will have the £12,000 car and those that do, are more inclined to take care of it and so, this car is lower risk - hence cheaper.

Obviously, post code, mileage etc come into it and what worked for me won't necessarily work for you, but here's something that surprised me.

My first car was £850 to insure; 1.4 Corsa C exclusiv (worth maybe £1900 at the time)
A car I bought 3 months after passing, a 1.9 astra H was £30 cheaper. (worth maybe £7000 at the time).

Honestly, if you haven't signed the dotted line. DO NOT pay this for such a small, low power car. ESPECIALLY A VAUXHALL! And that's coming from someone who's owned four! You could get yourself something far better to drive with that price! Of course, if it's more about the look of the car and you love the Adam, then I hope you enjoy it!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Walkaah
Thanks for replying.

Now, let me further explain my point. I, a couple of weeks ago had an accident. My renewal premium prior to the accident was sent to me quoted at £1,165. Post accident, I received another renewal quote priced at £2,262.

The specific deal that I have gone for with the Adam enables me to pay for the car on finance but also receive free insurance therefore saving money. Now, if I were to choose the Volvo you have mentioned, that would cost me a bomb.

So yes, I do understand insurance and this deal as mentioned enables me to receive it free of charge.

To add... If your theory is correct then how come I typed in a quote for my old VW Polo 1.4 '03 and these were the quotes:

Then I did the same thing for this exact volvo (not even brand new, still worth about 10k)

and here was the price.....

Maybe im not the one who doesn't understand insurance:wink:

Because you're using comparison websites. Comparison websites are for the lazy people that can't be bothered going direct to insurers. Contrary to popular belief, most of the time, comparison websites are nowhere near the cheapest.

And yes, I do understand insurance. And I also understand not to drive into other cars. And if I did, but wasn't at fault. I'd be getting the details of witnesses and/or harassing the insurance companies making sure they know every little detail to prove my innocence.

And I thought you only got 1 year insurance free? Which by the way, IS NOT FREE. It's just hidden amongst that hideous monthly payment for such a basic car. In life, NOTHING IS FREE, especially from car dealerships! I'd be surprised if the insurance was worth the paper it's written on, unless you've fully read the terms and conditions? There's no clause about "you must have a years no claims" etc on it? You're paying nearly 10 grand for what is, quite honestly, a very basic car with a very small engine. All because you think you're getting a free years insurance? Vauxhall dealership are rubbing their hands together at the sight of you mate. Pushing the £260 mark, you could be in a BMW M5.

If I were you, I'd buy a corsa or something outright for 2 grand, keep it for a year to build up one years no claims and then sell it for £1800. £200 loss and you can jump into a MUCH better car than the Adam in 12 months time for far far less a month and have decent insurance costs.

And no offence, but with my set of male reproductive organs, I wouldn't even ride shotgun in an Adam.

If you haven't already signed that dotted line, I URGE YOU NOT TO! You're getting absolutely taken for a ride here.

Oh and the Volvo R Design was an extreme example by the way. Volvo is now a premium brand; they've come a long way from their big heavy estate cars in the 90's. A top of the range Volvo R Design 2.2 litre with ALL the toys with a £100 deposit and say around 6k miles on it, would cost you around £240 a month. Vauxhall are a cheap but cheerful brand; why do you think 99% of hire cars are Vauxhalls? I've owned my fair share of them and for the price (except from in this case) you can't argue. But cheapo interior plastics and a boring ride in every car would certainly not get me to spend nearly £300 on it a month. Again, just trying to save you nearly 10 grand here, but if you have the car, I hope it's everything you want it to be.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest