The Student Room Group

Battle between Kurdish YPG and ISIS

Some interesting footage from the battle between YPG and ISIS.

The Kurds have been provided with Western TOW and MILAN guided anti-tank missiles, and they seem to be quite effective on the battlefield.

I love how on the second and third operations, after the ISIS tank blows up, all the Kurdish fighters cheer "Yaaaaayyyyyy" and start clapping :smile:, rather than the mindless snackbar you hear from ISIS types.

I hope we provide them more support along these lines

[video="youtube;xXno1_AB3wk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXno1_AB3wk[/video]
(edited 9 years ago)
"mindless snackbar" lol.
Long live Rojava!
Reply 3
Original post by LordMarmalade
all the Kurdish fighters cheer "Yaaaaayyyyyy" and start clapping :smile:, rather than the mindless snackbar you hear from ISIS types.

:yes: kurds not very religious
Reply 4
I imagine if it wasn't so important to keep turkey on side, we'd do a lot more for the kurds.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aj12
I imagine if it wasn't so important to keep turkey on side, we'd do a lot more for the kurds.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If Western governments had done anything to support the Kurds pre-IS then I might believe that...
Some interesting footage from the battle between YPG and ISIS.

The Kurds have been provided with Western TOW and MILAN guided anti-tank missiles, and they seem to be quite effective on the battlefield.

I love how on the second and third operations, after the ISIS tank blows up, all the Kurdish fighters cheer "Yaaaaayyyyyy" and start clapping :smile:, rather than the mindless snackbar you hear from ISIS types.

I hope we provide them more support along these lines

[video="youtube;xXno1_AB3wk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXno1_AB3wk[/video]

Today's Taliban were yesterday's 'plucky' underdog allies against evil.

It's great that the Kurds are giving ISIS a good fight but let's be honest, you don't know who the Kurds are and nor can you make claims that their agenda and ours are 100% compatible.

It's entirely possible one-day they may decide to turn on us, or we will turn on them.

Just to be that kill-joy voice that reminds people that even though the Kurds are an alright bunch, they're not the rebel alliance from Star Wars.

Still, anything is better than ISIS right now lol.
Reply 7
Original post by mojojojo101
If Western governments had done anything to support the Kurds pre-IS then I might believe that...

Keeping Turkey onside is more a general foreign policy aim, I wasn't speaking with much regard for recent events. We'eve never given them much support, we tolerated Saddam's gassing of them. I suppose supporting them would lead to a lot more conflict in the region. No one is really willing to tolerate a Kurdish Nation.

The West's entire foreign policy for that part of the world needs a substantial rethink.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Aj12
Keeping Turkey onside is more a general foreign policy aim, I wasn't speaking with much regard for recent events. We'eve never given them much support, we tolerated Saddam's gassing of them. I suppose supporting them would lead to a lot more conflict in the region. No one is really willing to tolerate a Kurdish Nation.

The West's entire foreign policy for that part of the world needs a substantial rethink.

Keeping Turkey on side is key, especially as the EU is relying more and more on cooperation with the Turks to police the Bulgarian and Greek borders...

All I'm saying that the current support for the Kurds would seem slightly more genuine if we had supported them when they were being butchered with guns the US and UK sold to Syria and Iraq....
Reply 9
Original post by Studentus-anonymous

It's great that the Kurds are giving ISIS a good fight but let's be honest, you don't know who the Kurds are and nor can you make claims that their agenda and ours are 100% compatible.

It's entirely possible one-day they may decide to turn on us, or we will turn on them.

At least they are for the large part secular.

It's great that the Kurds are giving ISIS a good fight but let's be honest, you don't know who the Kurds are and nor can you make claims that their agenda and ours are 100% compatible

The reason that comment is utterly nonsensical is because the Afghan mujahideen were never progressive, they were always religious nutters. That we supported them doesn't change that fact.

You claim "You don't know who the Kurds are". Again, that is nonsense.

We know exactly who the PKK, PUK, KDP and YPG are; they are Kurdish anarchists, leftists and secular liberals who have the general support of the Kurdish people, and whose politics have been well known for several decades.

They've also been our solid allies since the early 1990s, and we owe them our continuing support.

Just to be that kill-joy voice that reminds people that even though the Kurds are an alright bunch, they're not the rebel alliance from Star Wars.

I'm sorry, I fail to see exactly what your issue is with the Kurds. The fact is that these people are progressive, they love their freedom, the Kurdish region of Iraq is the only area of the country that has enjoyed anything resembling civil peace and the rule of law up until the ISIS insurgency.

What I find astounding is that claimed leftists allow their hatred of the west, and the relationship between the Kurds and Israel, to drag them into a position where they are providing mealy-mouthed support for far-right ISIS religious nutbags and criticising leftist, liberal secular and anarchist progressives like the Kurds. Unbelievable.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Swanbow

More than secular, they are genuinely progressive secular liberals, anarchists and leftists who support womens rights and, in the areas they control, have created something approaching an oasis of rule of law and civil peace (at least until the ISIS insurgency)

It's astounding to me that some Western leftists allow their irrational hatred of the West and its foreign policy to pull them into a position where they provide mealy-mouthed support for ISIS and damn the Kurds despite their liberal secular and left progressive politics.

This is the schizophrenia of the modern left, and their fellow travellers
If you want to see the awful reality of the Syrian Civil War, I'd encourage you to watch this incredible footage taken by the "Abkhazian News Network" (I suspect these guys are actually providing technical support for the Russian-built tanks. Being Abkhazian, it technically allows Russia to keep its hands clean).

They mount GoPro cameras on top of T-72 tanks of the Syrian Arab Army (Assad's force) as they go into a city and blast the crap out of pretty much everything. You get an opportunity to see just how devastated these city centres are, it's incredible.

Go to 8:15 and watch for a few minutes to see the kind of thing I'm talking about (and you might want to click into youtube so you can maximise the screen)

[video="youtube;KVgHRlRqxTo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVgHRlRqxTo[/video]
(edited 9 years ago)
The reason that comment is utterly nonsensical. . .

FYI I stopped reading and chose to ignore you once I read that, and imagined (as I always do) some grump.

When I make a reasonable observation/suggestion and get met with attitude I immediately turn off from the offender. Enjoy my ignore list.

Original post by Swanbow

True, though so was fascist Germany, and pretty much every communist state.

It's encouraging, and as an atheist I am not defending religion, simply stating secularism alone won't stop us and the Kurds possibly clashing somewhere down the road.

That's always the danger of wading into an ethnic/sectarian cluster**** though.

Hopefully Syria is better off once it's all over and the Kurds (whom in their Turkish militant guise we've labelled as a terrorist group) remain 'good guys'.
FYI I stopped reading and chose to ignore you once I read that, and imagined (as I always do) some grump.

When I make a reasonable observation/suggestion and get met with attitude I immediately turn off from the offender. Enjoy my ignore list.

:lol: Someone's in a grumpy mood. Tbh it's no great loss being added to the ignore list of someone with a glass jaw and an a simplistic dime-a-dozen "good guys/bad guys" view of the world.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending