The Student Room Group

why is saudi arabia US's top ally in the middle east?

Raif Badawi, 31, was expected to serve a 10-year jail sentence, and a fine of £175,000 for offences related to his setting up of an online forum for public debate, as well as accusations he insulted Islam.

On 9 January, the Saudi writer was lashed 50 times as the first part of his sentence to be flogged 1,000 lashes over a course of 20 weeks. However, subsequent floggings were postponed due to injuries that he sustained.
Mr Badawi's wife, Ensaf Haider, has told Channel 4 News that judges in Saudi Arabia's criminal courts are wanting him to undergo a re-trial for apostasy. If found guilty, he would face the death penalty.

In a statement on Facebook, the family said that they had received information that the case would be referred to the same judge who sentenced Mr Badawi with flogging and 10 years imprisonment. The said: "[The judge's] has twice requested that Raif be charged with 'apostasy'. His request was declined at the time on the ground that the criminal court has no jurisdiction on cases that lead to death penalty.

"However, due to a new regulation issued by the Supreme Judicial Council on 19.09.2014, the penal court has now jurisdiction over major cases, which are punishable by the death penalty, amputation and stoning.
"We have reasons to believe without any doubts that the same judge has again asked the Head of the Court of Apeal to charge Raif with 'Apostasy'.
"We call on the world citizens and governments not to leave Raif dragged by such bigots to death. And we renew our calls to his Majesty King Salman to pardon Raif Badawi and allow him to leave Canada to be united with his family there."
International development minister for the Scottish Government, Humza Yousaf, said that they would continue to monitor the situation:

http://www.channel4.com/news/raif-badawi-blogger-flogging-saudi-arabia-death-penalty

Israel is US's top ally because they are the only democracy...Saudi is not a democracy but still an ally?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Oil.
Black gold AKA oil
Muslim punished for criticising islam in a Muslim country.

You know with the exception of Turkey that happens in all Muslim countrys?
(edited 9 years ago)
Cheap oil.
Also lol isreal isn't a democracy and neither is the USA
Posted from TSR Mobile

Oil and Saudi Arabia is a key ally in curbing Iran in the region.
Oil. Based on that, the US try to use it as a foothold in the middle East. It's a shame that they have to associate themselves with Saudi Arabia in order to do so.
Original post by thunder_chunky
Oil. Based on that, the US try to use it as a foothold in the middle East. It's a shame that they have to associate themselves with Saudi Arabia in order to do so.

I don't think that they feel too bad about it or have sleepless nights
The US has huge oil supplies and i relying less from overseas
Reply 9
Original post by Lionheart96

I think you'd be surprised given the massive implications that relationship has had.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lionheart96

It's taking its toll. A lot of people are becoming increasingly unhappy with the alliance.
Original post by number23
The US has huge oil supplies and i relying less from overseas

Saudi provides it at the lowest cost though. The US/Saudi alliance exists because of capitalism basically.
Original post by thunder_chunky
It's taking its toll. A lot of people are becoming increasingly unhappy with the alliance.

Who?

Shia Muslims and the 'I'll cut my nose off to spite my face because I'm going through a rebellious stage in my life' brigade.

Amazingly, the U.S. gets criticised for being an ally of saudi, yet whe it tries to topple dictates and introduce democracy the same people criticise the U.s.

Why don't you like the Americans?
:confused:
Original post by MatureStudent36
Who?

Shia Muslims and the 'I'll cut my nose off to spite my face because I'm going through a rebellious stage in my life' brigade.

Amazingly, the U.S. gets criticised for being an ally of saudi, yet whe it tries to topple dictates and introduce democracy the same people criticise the U.s.

:confused:
Come again? Whoever said anything about me disliking Americans? I like Americans.

I know the sort of people you speak of but I'm not one of those types. I'm just saying there are people who dislike the working relationship that occurs between the US and Saudi because of the way Saudi is.

By the way, you of all people should know that often when America topples a country, it isn't always just to install democracy. That's what they want people to think.
It doesn't make a person a tin foil hat conspiracy
theorist to believe governments have alternate motives when topping governments.
(edited 9 years ago)
It's not an ally at all, only it costs less to deal with friendly scumbags than to go to war with them.
Reply 15
Original post by MatureStudent36
Who?

No one hates americans, they just hate its government. heck even americans themselves hate their own government.
may be it would be better to give the whole region a dose of instant sun shine ,hmmm radio active oil any one.no ,me neither.
Original post by nearlee
Raif Badawi, 31, was expected to serve a 10-year jail sentence, and a fine of £175,000 for offences related to his setting up of an online forum for public debate, as well as accusations he insulted Islam.

On 9 January, the Saudi writer was lashed 50 times as the first part of his sentence to be flogged 1,000 lashes over a course of 20 weeks. However, subsequent floggings were postponed due to injuries that he sustained.
Mr Badawi's wife, Ensaf Haider, has told Channel 4 News that judges in Saudi Arabia's criminal courts are wanting him to undergo a re-trial for apostasy. If found guilty, he would face the death penalty.

In a statement on Facebook, the family said that they had received information that the case would be referred to the same judge who sentenced Mr Badawi with flogging and 10 years imprisonment. The said: "[The judge's] has twice requested that Raif be charged with 'apostasy'. His request was declined at the time on the ground that the criminal court has no jurisdiction on cases that lead to death penalty.

"However, due to a new regulation issued by the Supreme Judicial Council on 19.09.2014, the penal court has now jurisdiction over major cases, which are punishable by the death penalty, amputation and stoning.
"We have reasons to believe without any doubts that the same judge has again asked the Head of the Court of Apeal to charge Raif with 'Apostasy'.
"We call on the world citizens and governments not to leave Raif dragged by such bigots to death. And we renew our calls to his Majesty King Salman to pardon Raif Badawi and allow him to leave Canada to be united with his family there."
International development minister for the Scottish Government, Humza Yousaf, said that they would continue to monitor the situation:

http://www.channel4.com/news/raif-badawi-blogger-flogging-saudi-arabia-death-penalty

Israel is US's top ally because they are the only democracy...Saudi is not a democracy but still an ally?

The simplest explanation is that Saudi was the biggest oil producer in the world and Iran had the anti-west revolution. In addition while under dictatorships the Sunni's were better than Iran and the Shia's.

Its all about convenience really. In the long run there's always the chance that Iran will open its economy and with the US not needing oil and the Sunni states falling apart they may make friends so that US businesses can pour in.
Saudi Arabia hates Iran. Israel and Jewmerica hate Iran.

Saudi Arabia exchanges oil for Jewdollars (petrodollar) in exchange the Saudi's are protected by the US. If not the US would just create a regime change like they have in so many other countries.
Original post by Rakas21
The simplest explanation is that Saudi was the biggest oil producer in the world and Iran had the anti-west revolution. In addition while under dictatorships the Sunni's were better than Iran and the Shia's.

While this really isn't saying much, Iran is noticeably closer to being a democracy than Saudi Arabia. There are no Saudi elections at all apart from local councils (and prior to 2005, they hadn't even had those for 40 years) and they've only just granted female suffrage. For all that Iranian elections are heavily restricted and controlled by the clerics, they still have elections for legislature and President, which are to an extent actually competitive.

Quick Reply

Latest