The Student Room Group

Racial preference in attraction? Wrong or right?

I'm just curious? Because I was talking about my own preference towards somali men over other men of african descent and other men in general and the response I got was that it was wrong to prefer my own because it's prejudice to other races. I understand that point. To me I think we all are naturally more likely to be attracted to people that we have more in common with physically. That's how I am I think most people picture their children appearing to be small version of themselves. I think sometimes even if we are raised in different areas we still will gravitate to where we originally come from. I have heard people say it's racist when people of other races say black girls are unattractive. I don't really find it offensive since they aren't black therefore their sense of who attracts them is going to be different. I don't get offended. But anyhow I don't really fault people for their preferences. Nor do I see it as wrong. I understand I find it beautiful how some people can be attracted to all types of people equally. That must be lucky when finding a partner and all but I was wondering why or why not you think this is wrong or right?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Justadude14
I'm just curious? Because I was talking about my own preference towards somali men over other men of african descent and other men in general and the response I got was that it was wrong to prefer my own because it's prejudice to other races. I understand that point. To me I think we all are naturally more likely to be attracted to people that we have more in common with physically. That's how I am I think most people picture their children appearing to be small version of themselves. I think sometimes even if we are raised in different areas we still will gravitate to where we originally come from. I have heard people say it's racist when people of other races say black girls are unattractive. I don't really find it offensive since they aren't black therefore their sense of who attracts them is going to be different. I don't get offended. But anyhow I don't really fault people for their preferences. Nor do I see it as wrong. I understand I find it beautiful how some people can be attracted to all types of people equally. That must be lucky when finding a partner and all but I was wondering why or why not you think this is wrong or right?

Personally, I don't think it is racist. I myself am eastern European, yet I have dated girls that are Somalian or Turkish. I like people because of their personalities, but if you spend a lot of time together, it is a bit more difficult when you are both from different cultures and backgrounds. In a way, I feel like we have less in common. For example, I'm Latvian, and my girlfriend currently is Polish, and we get along really well as our families and customs and tastes are really similar and it's just a really comfortable relationship.

And I agree somewhat that we want to be with someone that is similar to us, and it's not racist. It was racist if you said that people of a certain race should not be in relationships with other people of another race, but if it is your own personal preference, that is your own problem. You're not really discriminating against anyone openly.
How is it wrong? It's fine to have a preference.

Only bitter people say it's wrong/racist
You don't choose who you are attracted to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Raimonds
Personally, I don't think it is racist. I myself am eastern European, yet I have dated girls that are Somalian or Turkish. I like people because of their personalities, but if you spend a lot of time together, it is a bit more difficult when you are both from different cultures and backgrounds. In a way, I feel like we have less in common. For example, I'm Latvian, and my girlfriend currently is Polish, and we get along really well as our families and customs and tastes are really similar and it's just a really comfortable relationship.

And I agree somewhat that we want to be with someone that is similar to us, and it's not racist. It was racist if you said that people of a certain race should not be in relationships with other people of another race, but if it is your own personal preference, that is your own problem. You're not really discriminating against anyone openly.

I couldn't give a crap what others do. I have always been open to interracial relationships personally and im ok with people who feel they are only attracted to their own ethnic background. It's their personal business either way. I don't care.
Reply 5
Original post by DiddyDec
You don't choose who you are attracted to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that's so true

It's a silly question that political correctness causes people ask. Perhaps we should cross breed all the dogs and ban Crufts because diversity is good innit

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
There's nothing wrong with valuing racial purity so long as you intend no harm on anybody else.

I'm white and there's a high likelihood that I will also breed with a white woman.

There is no right and wrong.

But every women loves a white guy. And every colored men loves white women the most, except white guys, who loves Asians instead.

Bagging a white is the ultimate trophy for a person of colour, please see the works of the black artist Nate Hill

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2517785/Artist-Nate-Hill-drapes-white-Trophy-Scarves-neck.html
I don't know why some people find this so hard to get through their thick heads: there is nothing wrong with having a preference. It's not racist, and I shouldn't even have to say that. End of.

NB: that's not directed at you, OP.
How on earth could being attracted to another race, wrong?!
sorry I'm actually somali descent and prefer guys with a similar background over white men. I can find them attractive but the least of all men I am attracted to them. There are a lot of them though so that's probably what you're actually noticing.

Original post by thisistheend
There is no right and wrong.

But every women loves a white guy. And every colored men loves white women the most, except white guys, who loves Asians instead.

Bagging a white is the ultimate trophy for a person of colour, please see the works of the black artist Nate Hill

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2517785/Artist-Nate-Hill-drapes-white-Trophy-Scarves-neck.html
Original post by Rakas21
There's nothing wrong with valuing racial purity

there was a bloke in germany who thought that too.
I find Somali people attractive- I'm arab+white. like, i dunno the people in k'naan's video take a minute the guy in the red jacket is really attractive to me. I also think Big Sean is o.k (he's not Somali). My fiancee (looks wise) is a mix between the two also so maybe that's why. He too is Somali. p.s. He isn't all gangster like big sean so don't worry. But yea racial preference isn't racist. I genuinely can't find white people attractive. If i had to describe it. It's like...forcing yourself to drink paint and like it. you can't force yourself to like someone you don't. :\

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APw9ES0JpZo point 2.02 red jacket :|

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-rQZ6IGhCM
(edited 9 years ago)
I've never found black women to be particularly attractive. Sure, there are exceptions here and there, but for every hot black chick, there are like 50 hot white chicks and a 100 hot asian chicks. That's just my experience.
Original post by Barack Obama
there was a bloke in germany who thought that too.

Yup. There's a difference between valuing purity and setting out to commit genocide on all non-aryans.

As yet, i've not felt many genocidal urges.
Not only should we forced races together that don't want to be, we should also face sexual orientations together that don't want to be.
Reply 17
no its not.
Neither wrong nor right - just natural. You're conditioned by the society you're brought up in to find certain features attractive, and will be attracted to people that have those features. Sometimes these features will be present across races, sometimes not.

I think that, in addition to the above, psychologically we tend to be attracted to the familiar, and studies have shown couples often look slightly alike, i.e. we are attracted to people who look like us. Evolution, vanity, whatever. Just how it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
it is not an argument for right or wrong because it is neither. No one has a control over their sexual preference.

I am most attracted to white women and i will only ever date whites. i am least attracted to black women and to a lesser extent brown women.

This is not right nor wrong because their is no logic to sexual attraction

Quick Reply