The Student Room Group

Tell me a story - writing prompt game thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Puddles the Monkey
I can totally see this actually :beard: There could even be a film adaptation. I reckon Tom Hanks would make a great dwarf albino nun :holmes:

hmmm i was thinking Tom Cruise... just from the height advantage...

PS i had an idea for a follow-up involving a scandal at the Vatican ?
Danger at the Beach

I awake to find myself washed ashore. Land! We were back on land. It was certainly a relief to be back where we could rest and recuperate from our arduous journey at sea. Just when I’m settling in to go back to sleep, I hear a hideous scream come from behind me. I turn slowly, fearing the worst and I see it. One of the children had been attacked. I cry out to the others but they are death to my cries. They remain sleeping, unconscious or worse. It is up to me.

I try to move but find that I am firmly stuck where I lay. I cannot move. What sort of sorcery was this? I can only watch as the native ran off crying their war cry towards their tribe whilst poor little Eleanor was still sobbing where she had been pounced upon. Why would people do this to us? We were innocent. We never caused anybody, however where ever we go we are no doubt attacked. Trodden on or prodded, it causes us the same pain.

I see in the distance a different group coming up towards my family. We are helpless and they have brought the rods. I begin to sob as I realise that there is nothing I can do to save us. With an evil glint in their eyes and a grin on their faces these people come to cause us pain. Oh, to have the life of a jellyfish!
Original post by SirMasterKey
Danger at the Beach

I awake to find myself washed ashore. Land! We were back on land. It was certainly a relief to be back where we could rest and recuperate from our arduous journey at sea. Just when I’m settling in to go back to sleep, I hear a hideous scream come from behind me. I turn slowly, fearing the worst and I see it. One of the children had been attacked. I cry out to the others but they are death to my cries. They remain sleeping, unconscious or worse. It is up to me.

I try to move but find that I am firmly stuck where I lay. I cannot move. What sort of sorcery was this? I can only watch as the native ran off crying their war cry towards their tribe whilst poor little Eleanor was still sobbing where she had been pounced upon. Why would people do this to us? We were innocent. We never caused anybody, however where ever we go we are no doubt attacked. Trodden on or prodded, it causes us the same pain.

I see in the distance a different group coming up towards my family. We are helpless and they have brought the rods. I begin to sob as I realise that there is nothing I can do to save us. With an evil glint in their eyes and a grin on their faces these people come to cause us pain. Oh, to have the life of a jellyfish!

:congrats:

That was dark.

What's the next prompt? :yum:
Next prompt: You walk down the street.
while we are waiting for the next prompt here is another "Thursday on mars"....

Jellicoe tried not to breathe deeply. the rancid gases in his helmet kept him alive but were deeply unpleasant to inhale. they tasted of week old corned beef mixed with domestos©. Looking to his right he could make out the Leisure Pod. He stumbled clumsily along the aluminum boardwalk until he reached the airlock. The ocular scanner beeped and he entered the outer chamber. A fine disinfectant spray removed all the alien dust from his suit, along with a myriad space viruses. Since the tragic events of the first Mars mission twenty years previously the administration was taking no chances. Entering the second chamber Jellicoe was instructed by the robot voice to remove his helmet and boots and place them in the rack.
Slipping on his favorite snakeskin loafers Jellicoe began to feel human again. Twelve hours on sentry duty was incredibly draining; even his favorite hologram lady had failed to cheer him up. The prospect of a hot meal was delightful.
The serving replicant was Judy-9. She was based on an actress from one of the old linear movies; a girl wizard with flawless skin and plumdark eyes. The name escaped Jellicoe. He could not be bothered to reference it on his Google implant.
"Hey stranger, what can i get you ?" asked the flirty android. "Same as last time ?". Jellicoe nodded, admiring the skilfully constructed chest region of his replicant waitress. She pressed a button on her interface module and instantly a list of food choices appeared. "Same drink too ?". "No this time i will have a Space Cider... a large one" "Coming right atcha Big Boy" she uttered in a faux Brooklyn accent.
A few seconds later a large tray appeared in front of Jellicoe bearing convincing replica food and drink. Each item was made of denatured protein and synthedrate; they were skilfully flavored to taste not unlike the original foodstuff. The Space Cider had a curious aroma which the manufacturers claimed was of Autumn Orchards. Instead of alcohol, which would be fatal to the Mars dwellers with their modified livers, it contained a mild sedative based on jimson weed.
As the yellowish liquid worked its magic on the tired Astronaut Jellicoe began to relax. He wondered if he would be lucky in the annual Earth lottery this time. It would be marvellous to be able to retire back in the States. Even after the appalling nuclear exchanges of 2018 there were still pockets of America where a man could live happily enough in a safe community. But if his number did not come up in the lottery he would be condemned to live out his final 10 years in Marsville.
Original post by the bear
while we are waiting for the next prompt here is another "Thursday on mars"....

Jellicoe tried not to breathe deeply. the rancid gases in his helmet kept him alive but were deeply unpleasant to inhale. they tasted of week old corned beef mixed with domestos©. Looking to his right he could make out the Leisure Pod. He stumbled clumsily along the aluminum boardwalk until he reached the airlock. The ocular scanner beeped and he entered the outer chamber. A fine disinfectant spray removed all the alien dust from his suit, along with a myriad space viruses. Since the tragic events of the first Mars mission twenty years previously the administration was taking no chances. Entering the second chamber Jellicoe was instructed by the robot voice to remove his helmet and boots and place them in the rack.
Slipping on his favorite snakeskin loafers Jellicoe began to feel human again. Twelve hours on sentry duty was incredibly draining; even his favorite hologram lady had failed to cheer him up. The prospect of a hot meal was delightful.
The serving replicant was Judy-9. She was based on an actress from one of the old linear movies; a girl wizard with flawless skin and plumdark eyes. The name escaped Jellicoe. He could not be bothered to reference it on his Google implant.
"Hey stranger, what can i get you ?" asked the flirty android. "Same as last time ?". Jellicoe nodded, admiring the skilfully constructed chest region of his replicant waitress. She pressed a button on her interface module and instantly a list of food choices appeared. "Same drink too ?". "No this time i will have a Space Cider... a large one" "Coming right atcha Big Boy" she uttered in a faux Brooklyn accent.
A few seconds later a large tray appeared in front of Jellicoe bearing convincing replica food and drink. Each item was made of denatured protein and synthedrate; they were skilfully flavored to taste not unlike the original foodstuff. The Space Cider had a curious aroma which the manufacturers claimed was of Autumn Orchards. Instead of alcohol, which would be fatal to the Mars dwellers with their modified livers, it contained a mild sedative based on jimson weed.
As the yellowish liquid worked its magic on the tired Astronaut Jellicoe began to relax. He wondered if he would be lucky in the annual Earth lottery this time. It would be marvellous to be able to retire back in the States. Even after the appalling nuclear exchanges of 2018 there were still pockets of America where a man could live happily enough in a safe community. But if his number did not come up in the lottery he would be condemned to live out his final 10 years in Marsville.

We should make a TSR pulp mag :yum:
We should make a TSR pulp mag :yum:

hehehe.... why don't you try SMK's new suggestion: "You walk down the street" ?
:rave: "You walk down the street" :rave:

My watch told me it was 8:37 am. I had to get into work before Smith. I'm warning you Mick, he had said to me yesterday in his nasally voice, if I don't see you sitting at your desk when I get in tomorrow I'll have no choice but to put you on a final warning. You've been late 3 times in the last 2 months already. Smith was the manager for my section, and he'd been looking for an excuse to get rid of me for months.

I couldn't afford to be on a final warning, I was barely making my rent. My cheap office suit made irritating swish swish noises as I marched. I could feel myself starting to sweat already. If only Mandy didn't make it so imporssible to leave the house. It was difficult enough as it was. I fantasised about quitting, I could be waiting by Smith's desk when he came in and walk out then and there. Wipe that smug look of his face. Me and Mandy could go somewhere else and live in peace.

8:48 am - I reached the top of the hill. I might actually make it! I caught my breath for a second. Just then I heard a smirky voice greet me cheerfully "Morning, Mick!" Smith glided effortlessly next to me on his Airwheel Q1.

"You look out of breath Mick - why don't you invest in an electric unicycle? They're worth the money... Anyway- can't be late. See me in my office at 10, won't you?" With that, he whizzed off down the hill.
:rave: "You walk down the street" :rave:

My watch told me it was 8:37 am. I had to get into work before Smith. I'm warning you Mick, he had said to me yesterday in his nasally voice, if I don't see you sitting at your desk when I get in tomorrow I'll have no choice but to put you on a final warning. You've been late 3 times in the last 2 months already. Smith was the manager for my section, and he'd been looking for an excuse to get rid of me for months.

I couldn't afford to be on a final warning, I was barely making my rent. My cheap office suit made irritating swish swish noises as I marched. I could feel myself starting to sweat already. If only Mandy didn't make it so imporssible to leave the house. It was difficult enough as it was. I fantasised about quitting, I could be waiting by Smith's desk when he came in and walk out then and there. Wipe that smug look of his face. Me and Mandy could go somewhere else and live in peace.

8:48 am - I reached the top of the hill. I might actually make it! I caught my breath for a second. Just then I heard a smirky voice greet me cheerfully "Morning, Mick!" Smith glided effortlessly next to me on his Airwheel Q1.

"You look out of breath Mick - why don't you invest in an electric unicycle? They're worth the money... Anyway- can't be late. See me in my office at 10, won't you?" With that, he whizzed off down the hill.

hehehe very good. Mick could join more social groups if he left his job.
hehehe very good. Mick could join more social groups if he left his job.

But is Mick in his twenties?
But is Mick in his twenties?

yes... but Mandy is 54 :eek:
New Prompt: MI5 slowly realises that people in their 20s aren't joining social groups
I came in from the cold into the Gentlemen's Club with a grimace on my face. It had been a difficult few days but now it was time to fill in the forms and desk duty. My colleagues hate it with a passion but for me it is enjoyable, tedious at times, but enjoyable non-the-less. I suppose it goes with my age. I am getting too old for gallivanting around the country, saving it from the dangers within. Now I see men and women coming through young enough to be my children. My one regret is that I never did have children. Ever the honourable schoolboy, I decided against getting myself involved in relationships. Too much hassle and too much danger. Instead my relationship was with the kingdom of shadows.

I order my dry martini stirred, not shaken and a wait for Humphrey to join me before we play bridge for the rest of the evening. It is a busy night but as I look around I come to one conclusion. We are all old. Some might ask what did I expect with it being a Gentlemen’s Club? Mark or Gary would not be seen dead in a place like this. I would have to ask them tomorrow what they do in their spare time. I had noticed in all of my social groups that as I’m getting older, the fewer twenty year olds are joining and staying. It is not me surely? I am not that old. Why are twenty year olds not joining social groups?
I came in from the cold into the Gentlemen's Club with a grimace on my face. It had been a difficult few days but now it was time to fill in the forms and desk duty. My colleagues hate it with a passion but for me it is enjoyable, tedious at times, but enjoyable non-the-less. I suppose it goes with my age. I am getting too old for gallivanting around the country, saving it from the dangers within. Now I see men and women coming through young enough to be my children. My one regret is that I never did have children. Ever the honourable schoolboy, I decided against getting myself involved in relationships. Too much hassle and too much danger. Instead my relationship was with the kingdom of shadows.

I order my dry martini stirred, not shaken and a wait for Humphrey to join me before we play bridge for the rest of the evening. It is a busy night but as I look around I come to one conclusion. We are all old. Some might ask what did I expect with it being a Gentlemen’s Club? Mark or Gary would not be seen dead in a place like this. I would have to ask them tomorrow what they do in their spare time. I had noticed in all of my social groups that as I’m getting older, the fewer twenty year olds are joining and staying. It is not me surely? I am not that old. Why are twenty year olds not joining social groups?

:congrats:

well played Sir !!

here is my version:

Gavin thought longingly of the bottle of single malt. Lagavulin 16 year old; he could almost feel the pungent iodine rich fumes surging down his throat. Instead he smiled politely at his companion. "Have you read many Harry Potter books William ?" she asked, her thick glasses glinting in the unforgiving strip lights of the University's Mandela Room. Gavin would rather gnaw his left foot off than admit having read one of the wizardy best sellers. Instead he replied "When i was at boarding school we pretended to be characters from the books". "Ooh, that sounds fun. Where were you at boarding school William ?". Gavin did not wish to admit having been Senior Oppidan at Eton. "Just a small place on the south coast near Bournemouth, actually."
"OMG, that is where i come from William. What was the name of the school ?"
Realising the game was up Gavin whipped out his Samsung 13 smartphone and pretended to read a text. "Must dash. The babysitter needs to get home. Lovely to meet you Sandra." "Actually it is Sarah".
Reaching the sanctuary of the street Gavin texted his controller. "Mission aborted. Target spooked. Returning to base". Instead of making his way to the forbidding riverside HQ of the security service for debriefing Gavin slipped into the nearest pub and ordered a double scotch. Cheap and cheerful, it hit the spot.
He made a mental note to avoid TSR meet-ups in future. The dowdy myopic thirty year old spinster with the Harry Potter fixation bore no resemblance to the perky twenty-something hottie he had been stalking on the website.
Where on earth could he find all the twenty-year olds ? Why were they not joining social groups ?
:lol: I liked your interpretations. :woo:

:lol: I liked your interpretations. :woo:

Message in a bottle. Message in a bottle.
Message in a bottle. Message in a bottle.

Why is it always double? Why is it always double?
Why is it always double? Why is it always double?

:dontknow::dontknow:
OK.....

Message In a Bottle

Jennifer ran her manicured fingers through her flowing ash blonde locks. She gazed out over the wildflower meadow at the back of the gîte. A sudden flash of movement by the hedgerow caught her attention. "Qui est ?" she cried, putting down her glass of chilled Chablis.
A small figure emerged from the waist high grass. It was Raymond, the son of the gîte's owner Monsieur Hublot. "Tiens mon petit, viens là" she invited.
Sheepishly the nine year old mounted the wooden steps to the verandah. He was holding something behind his back. "Montre-moi " Jennifer ordered, holding out her tanned arm.The youngster handed over a heavy dirt encrusted bottle. It was old fashioned in shape with an onion shaped body and slender neck. The glass was thick and black and clearly handblown. Any cork had long since perished.
Raymond said that he had found it under the hedgerow at the entrance to the badger sett. Jennifer and Marlon had watched the badger family at dusk several times since arriving at St Jean les Peupliers.
She poured the youngster a glass of mineral water and gave him a cookie. The ancient bottle stood on the kitchen table. It was tilted slightly due to the uneven base. Jennifer shook it gently. There was definitely something inside.
Just then Marlon drove up in the rented Citroën DS. He entered the kitchen and ruffled Raymond's curly hair before giving Jennifer a peck on the cheek. "Well what do we have here ?" he asked as his wife handed him the artefact. "Raymond found it in the badger sett at the bottom of the meadow honey. It looks real old ? We think there is something inside ?"
Marlon held the black bottle up to the window but could not see through the opaque glass. He fetched a wooden spoon from the dresser and carefully probed the neck of the bottle with the handle. Turning it upside down on the table he gently tapped the neck.
A tightly wrapped object, the size of a cigar, slid out, as well as several dead insects and various pieces of vegetation and mud.
Suddenly Raymond grabbed the object and dashed out of the kitchen. Marlon and Jennifer shouted after him but he did not turn back.
"Well whatever it was, young Raymond sure wanted it badly" said the softly spoken Texan.
(edited 9 years ago)
the bear
x

I would like the second half of this story please? :cookie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending