The Student Room Group
Reply 1
60-69 is usually a 2.1, but I don't think that's universal - I know the OU operates a totally different scheme.
NOrmally it is:

70+ - first
60-69 - 2:1
50-59 - 2:2
40-49 - third
Below 40 - fail

As for how you work out your degree class that totally varies. Some use averages, others use a paper count system.
Reply 3
Lewisy-boy
NOrmally it is:

70+ - first
40-49 - third
Below 40 - fail

As for how you work out your degree class that totally varies. Some use averages, others use a paper count system.

This was how it worked at my uni.

When working out the final grade, they did the average and the paper count system, and whichever came out with the best grade was the classification you took.

Usually the average and the paper count gave the same grade, but if you have one unusually low grade, having the paper count as a back up allows it not to trash your chances of a high classification.

For example, my average was 68.75 (if I remember rightly!) thanks to a 60 and a 62 dragging it down. Luckily the paper count saved me! :smile:
The system employed at Notts runs as follows:

Every grade you get accords you a certain number of points. For example, a first class mark in a 15 credit module gives you X points, so in a 30 credit module it gives you 2X points. Starred first marks (75+), which are HARDLY EVER awarded, get you extra points... but you cant actually graduate with a starred first I don't think, no-one has ever come close anyway if you can.

Then you need to add the points up over your second and third year to see where you are... if works out as follows. Pretend that grades are broken down into 16 15 credit modules (last year i did 4x30 creds, accounting for half of this), you need 7/16 firsts and 9/16 2:1s to get a first. This may sound easy, but trust me it just isnt'... and if you have 1 2:2 ur basically buggered. All other grades you need half of the higher class and half of the lower (ie 8 2:1s and 8 2:2s = 2:1). Theoretically therefore a 55% average can be a 2:1, again this all sounds very easy but when you bear in mind that last year there were 4 firsts out of 220, and 55% got 2:1s, it isn't as easy as it sounds.

On an interesting note, my points score for last year is exactly what you need over 2 years to get a 2:2, so that;s in the bag lol. When I opened my transcript and saw numbers like "28" I was like "no way, that's so wrong", and was half way to complaining when I realised I was looking at the wrong column and that that is a first class points score for 15 creds. It's relatively wounding thought when you glance down that column and see number like that though!
I don't really know how ours works other than we're graded on a scale of 1 - 6 (1 being a faoil, 2 being a near miss, 3 being a basic pass and 4 - 6 being passess). How they work out what grade we get we don't know.

We get graded 1 - 6 for each element making up the module and an avarega is taken to get our final grade for the module.

or somethign like that anyway; they havn't been so kind as to explain the system to us fully - just that we need 3s and 6s r the best. I've had one piece back that was a 4.4 (how they arrived at that I don't know :s-smilie:)
I don't really know how ours works other than we're graded on a scale of 1 - 6 (1 being a faoil, 2 being a near miss, 3 being a basic pass and 4 - 6 being passess). How they work out what grade we get we don't know.

We get graded 1 - 6 for each element making up the module and an avarega is taken to get our final grade for the module.

or somethign like that anyway; they havn't been so kind as to explain the system to us fully - just that we need 3s and 6s r the best. I've had one piece back that was a 4.4 (how they arrived at that I don't know :s-smilie:)

http://www.rgu.ac.uk/files/ACF80B3.pdf
section 6.2
I know someone at glasgow, and there A is the best, but something like a C1 is equivlent to a 2:1, so naturally an A is like a legendary mark (when you take into account that B1-3 exists in the gap!).
Reply 8
Thanks to all. I really appreciate this.
Regardless of percentages we were told

1st - regurgitating lecture content + wider research + complete and total understanding and analysis of the subject + ability to push the concepts to their extremes and postulate new theories/future research areas.

2i - regurgitating lecture content, showing thorough understanding of all concepts, demonstrating further reading/research, ability to link in to subject content from different modules (the level of understanding, research and linking determining the difference between a low 2i and a high 2i)

2ii - regurgitating lecture content with thorough understanding of major concepts

3rd/pass/fail - regurgitating lecture content with large gaps in knowledge/misunderstanding of basic principles (size of gaps/level of misunderstanding determines the split between a 3rd and a fail)

Personally this is what I found most useful in figuring out how to improve my marks - knowing that I had to be able to include citations from research journals in exam essay answers as well as being able to thoroughly demonstrate knowledge of the subject made it much easier to focus revision/studying/essays on the areas that were important instead of getting sidetracked into regurgitating lecture notes (which is an easy trap to fall in to)
Reply 10
Lewisy-boy
NOrmally it is:

70+ - first
40-49 - third
Below 40 - fail
QUOTE]

Thats exactly the same at KCL, to add to the above grade boundaries a 75 is said to be a high first.
Why doesn't somebody with the power to do so, come and standardise it nationwide?
Reply 12
Pretty Boy Floyd
Why doesn't somebody with the power to do so, come and standardise it nationwide?

That would be convenient. Though I think Oxbridge will be opposed to such a move. The bastards have to be different in every respect lol.
Reply 13
It's marked out of 200 at Cambridge although the percentages end up being the same. 140+ in a subject is a First, 120-139 a 2:1, 100-119 a 2:2, 80-99 a Third etc.

They come up with overall grades in a weird way though!
75 is a star first at Notts, but as far as I'm aware you can't actually graduate with that... it's not listed as an overall points total anyway, they just give you more points for it... if you can they're so rare I bet it never happens anyway. They literally give out 2-3 school wide across every module per year! My 84 was the highest mark in the whole law school last year :wink:.
-1984-
That would be convenient. Though I think Oxbridge will be opposed to such a move. The bastards have to be different in every respect lol.

boo hoo. I am starting to like them more lately.:biggrin: There are some sweet people there even if they are awkward about grades.
Yeah, I don't think they wouldbe too happy... I mean, what is the justification for Cambridge's scoring system? OK, so it gives them more flexibility in the marks they can give, but what's to stop them giving .5s or something !!!!!!!!
Reply 17
Lewisy-boy
Yeah, I don't think they wouldbe too happy... I mean, what is the justification for Cambridge's scoring system? OK, so it gives them more flexibility in the marks they can give, but what's to stop them giving .5s or something !!!!!!!!

True.
Reply 18
Lewisy-boy

I think it's because the distinctions become a lot finer in a place where almost everyone is academically good. I got a first last year (seventh), and one of my best friends got a first (ranked third in the year). I will be the first to admit the HUGE gap in intellectual ability between the two of us. In a standardised system I doubt this would be recognised to such a great extent. They're concerned with academic ability, and with recruiting potential research fellows etc - and the finer the distinctions they can make, the easier it is for them to identify the best academics (that they will potentially take on). So I'd say, probably because it's in their interests to make fine distinctions like that!

RE: overall grades being weird...more info on that:
Cambridge's scoring system for philosophy (which I do) is the same as it is for law. You must have a first in two independent papers, and average a first overall - to get a degree first at the end of year exams.
Still not seeing how it benefits over giving .5 scores :wink:. Philosophers... lol.

Latest

Trending

Trending