Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

how many days out of date can you still drink milk?

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    as above?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 46 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt generally go past the date, but the thing with milk is its pretty obvious if its gone off as it a) stinks, b) is green and is c) lumpy.
    • 81 followers

ReputationRep:
    If it seems ok, then you can drink it. If it's bad you can't drink it, even if it's in date
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    If it seems ok, then you can drink it. If it's bad you can't drink it, even if it's in date
    and you know it's bad how?
    • 81 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thud)
    and you know it's bad how?
    It smells. It looks funny. It tastes horrible. Seriously, with milk you know
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes it can sty upto a week over the date, but don't go by that, use your discernment. Smell it, any sourness or funny smell not normally there, throw it. If it smells fine, pour a little out, and swish it around, and if it's lumpy at ll, throw it. Taste a little bit, if it's sour or strange tasting, then throw it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    we once bought milk from aldi's. generally, i like aldi stuff, but after a couple of days, i have never smelled anything so bad in my life! how can something smell more farty than fart?!

ooo errr....
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F1 fanatic)
    I wouldnt generally go past the date, but the thing with milk is its pretty obvious if its gone off as it a) stinks, b) is green and is c) lumpy.
    If it's a), b) and c), it's probably not worth the risk.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I seriously wouldn't advise it. You can do this with bread (toast/use for french bread and the like) and bananas (banana cake! ) but not for milk usually. Not a sensible idea if you would like to stay in top health.

I had to do this the other day: chuck, buy new.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danni_bella)
    I seriously wouldn't advise it. You can do this with bread (toast/use for french bread and the like) and bananas (banana cake! ) but not for milk usually. Not a sensible idea if you would like to stay in top health.

I had to do this the other day: chuck, buy new.
    I'm up to 3 days over the date but it still seems ok...

(Original post by sparkler)
    we once bought milk from aldi's. generally, i like aldi stuff, but after a couple of days, i have never smelled anything so bad in my life! how can something smell more farty than fart?!

ooo errr....
    mine is from Lidl. :p:
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I find if it smells and tastes ok, then its fine. I've been doing it for years. Use by dates are a guide only. You won't die. Unless it's chicken and it's green.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If it smells bad and tastes off then don't drink it any further. Sometimes food can be ok if it's been refridgerated well. It doesn't exactly look at the use-by date then say 'well i better pop my clogs then'.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Smell it. Don't trust best-by and sell-by dates. Same with meat or fish - if it's the right colour and fresh-smelling your fine but the moment it goes grey, brown or smells a bit manky just bin it. I speak from biter, gut-wrenching experience...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Urk, just pick up some fresh milk.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Segat1)
    I find if it smells and tastes ok, then its fine. I've been doing it for years. Use by dates are a guide only. You won't die. Unless it's chicken and it's green.
    :dito:

2/3 days should be fine, but smell it before you drink it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If it has began to moo and an udder is protruding from the top.

It has expired and is returning to its origonal state.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    woaah. 8 years old. LOCKED.
Updated: January 15, 2014
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.