The Student Room Group

Do you find slow thinkers/ individuals who can't explain things quickly annoying?

For some reason I have recently become increasingly annoyed at friends who are trying to explain something to me, or tell a story, but take an extraordinary amount of time trying to get their points across succinctly.

They'll spend ages trying to explain a poorly constructed thought and usually riddle their sentences with the word 'like' which just exacerbates my infuriation. Sometimes it involves spending 60 seconds trying to find 'the right' word. I don't know why but recently it's really started to get to me.

Does anyone else experience this?
so basically you have an intellectual superiority complex and condescend towards those who do not run at the same freight train agility that you profess your mind to be capable of?

inb4 slightly higher score than average on narcissism scale
(edited 9 years ago)
Lol
Reply 3
I am one of those people, but I get to the point slowly because of underlying issues which mean I often lose my train of thought, can't seem to find the correct phrase, or just meander when telling a story. It annoys me too because I feel like I'm wasting time, but I agree that the whole 'like' syndrome some people have is incredibly annoying.
This is a skill which many have to learn. The ability to be consice and to the point. Many people ramble on, but the older u get, the better u get at speaking effectively.
I'm not annoyed by people who need time to gather their thoughts, or take their time in explaining things. Sometimes I can be like that too. I used to get irritated by it, I think, but then I realised that it's nothing to be irritated by and I was rude to think my time and patience was more important than showing them the respect of listening and waiting.
What I find more frustrating is people who can't say what they want to say (or are too lazy to think of their wording) so they'll rush out with something unrelated, or they'll say what they mean entirely wrong and then get angry with me for not understanding. I'd rather they took the time to get their point across.
Reply 6
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
so basically you have an intellectual superiority complex and condescend towards those who do not run at the same freight train agility that you profess your mind to be capable of?

inb4 slightly higher score than average of narcissism scale

It must be wonderful to spot narcissistic personalities and those with intellectual superiority complexes so venomously quickly.

Do you have a first class honours in psychology?
Original post by RobertWhite
It must be wonderful to spot narcissistic personalities and those with intellectual superiority complexes so venomously quickly.

Do you have a first class honours in psychology?

nope of course not :frown:

I said slightly higher than average, not that you're full blown NPD

the fact you're irritated by people who think slower than you, is indeed evidence of tendencies towards superiority complex, the extent of which implied you must have interpreted as an exaggeration of what it truly is

tl;dr you can't say you don't because obviously you slightly do (like many) but that doesn't mean you're as stuck up as my OP may have suggested :smile:

With due fairness to you I have a learning disability which makes me profoundly slower orally than written or typed, hence my excessive usage of digital media such as TSR, which will provide bias to my assessment of you*

*i.e. when I was much younger and less snarky people called me retarded for thinking slow regularly among other things they called me retarded for
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Slow thinkers/slow readers/slow anything is such a frustration of mine.
Reply 9
Maybe some people actually think before they speak.

(Obviously not talking about myself).
I have a chronic lack of patience. I can't go to lectures because I get what's going on at first, then it goes slowly and I lost interest, then when I reengage I don't know what's going on. I just learn by myself at home - it's so much easier. Same often happens with friends / parents, when you know what they're trying to say and you have to listen to them take five minutes to say it.

Unless you work alone, though, most people will have to learn this kind of patience. There will always be boring talks to listen to, and inarticulate friends you don't want to hurt.

You can develop coping strategies, like learning to solve a maths puzzle whilst also keeping track of where they have got to. Or just planning / fantasising. The former isn't as hard as it sounds. It's like people who play mental chess - is sounds hard, but most people can train themselves to do it.

Most of my friends also have a hard time watching TV without doing something else at the same time.
We've all got to start somewhere...
I have this problem. I know what I want to say, but getting the words out in a coherent order can sometimes be difficult. I understand if this would be annoying for people. It's annoying for me, too. I don't use the word "like" when trying to do so, though.

I don't find it annoying, because I have similar problems.
Reply 13
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
nope of course not :frown:

I said slightly higher than average, not that you're full blown NPD

the fact you're irritated by people who think slower than you, is indeed evidence of tendencies towards superiority complex, the extent of which implied you must have interpreted as an exaggeration of what it truly is

tl;dr you can't say you don't because obviously you slightly do (like many) but that doesn't mean you're as stuck up as my OP may have suggested :smile:

With due fairness to you I have a learning disability which makes me profoundly slower orally than written or typed, hence my excessive usage of digital media such as TSR, which will provide bias to my assessment of you*

*i.e. when I was much younger and less snarky people called me retarded for thinking slow regularly among other things they called me retarded for

That's interesting I saw you mention somewhere you have dyspraxia - so do I.

I'm not going to bother debating any of my objections to the NPD/ superiority complex business.

Quick Reply

Latest