The Student Room Group

Forced Marriage/ Marriage advice

Has anyone been in a forced marriage or know someone who has?
This is a quite common practice in Subcontinent where people get forced into marrying without their will.
How to avoid forced marriage and best advice for marriage for e.g. right age.
Also if anyone is getting married or considering getting married what would you suggest?. Open for discussion. Please reply with good manners. If you want to diss someone then clearly this thread isn`t for you and you need to grow up.
Reply 1
Cultural issues... needs fixing.
Youths even in developed countries may be subtly pressured into marriage by family. Awful.
Reply 2
Original post by Drusilla
Cultural issues... needs fixing.
Youths even in developed countries may be subtly pressured into marriage by family. Awful.

Yh. There is no freedom of speech when it comes to marriage. It`s either one way or no way. The problem is that the adults consider marriage to be mandatory and as soon as you hit puberty they start asking you questions like "so when are going to marry?", "have you found a girl yet?", "its better to marry young". It pisses me off when they start quoting religious scriptures out of context and say "look, its mentioned here that you have to marry", like STFU already. My view is parents need to realize that a child means a child, not puberty means fully grown adult who can marry and raise a child. Its utterly disgusting and disturbing when you here people killed for marriages especially by their own relatives jut because they had their own opinions. I say Marry if you can, when you can.
(edited 9 years ago)
This is why everyone should be educated. Lack of education usually results in all this. There are different campaigns online by the way that help you if you feel you are forced by your family into getting married against your will. They really help out so you can look into that, also I would say the media needs to show more of this issue so people can watch it and know it is NOT right to do. Maybe educating children about forced marriage so they know whats up.
And I feel late 20's would be a good age to get married, you are mature enough to take care and understand yourself aswell and have enough experience of how life works. That is just my opinion.
Because there are alot more things which come in aspect when you mention marriage you know. Such as understanding your partner, economic status and all that.
:smile:
Original post by U33B
x

Thread has been moved to Relationships:h:

Quick Reply

Latest