The Student Room Group

Adam Johnson arrested.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Depleted
Well that's a moral debate which I don't wish to enter (as I've chosen my side fairly clearly). Either way it's his fault for thinking with his pants and not his brain.

It's not really a moral debate, the age of criminal responsibility is 10 and 15 year olds are tried as adults normally. I'm not saying she broke the law, but the point stands that you're responsible at that age.

How was he not thinking with his brain? Leaving aside the cheating as that's irrelevant.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 81
Original post by sr90
At 15 you are not old enough to make an informed decision about having sex with a grown man.

If you tell him you're 18 you are
Original post by difeo

Nope you're not. Maturity levels at 15 are nowhere near high enough to decide on something like that (to put it into context, some girls may not have hit puberty at 15, though it's unlikely).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by difeo

You've just answered your own question there.
Reply 84
Nope your not. Maturity levels at 15 are nowhere near high enough to decide on something like that (to put it into context, some girls may not have hit puberty at 15, though it's unlikely).

Maybe I phrased it wrong. Whether you're old enough to consent to sex isn't my point, but rather whether you're old enough to know lying about your age, therefore causing someone to commit a crime and potentially ruining their life is wrong. As I said, you're held responsible at far younger ages for more serious stuff than this, so she's old enough to know better.

Anyway, the age of consent is arbitrary, in civilised countries it ranges from 13 to 18. Really it should be a case by case basis as there's a lot of 15 year olds that are mature enough, but obviously there has to be an arbitrary limit somewhere.

Original post by sr90
You've just answered your own question there.

I'm not following.
(edited 9 years ago)
Nope you're not. Maturity levels at 15 are nowhere near high enough to decide on something like that (to put it into context, some girls may not have hit puberty at 15, though it's unlikely).

Maturity levels vary. I've seen more maturity in a Year 7 sex education lesson than in this forum at times.
Original post by TornadoGR4
Maturity levels vary. I've seen more maturity in a Year 7 sex education lesson than in this forum at times.

:laugh:

I'm of the personal opinion that ignorance isn't a valid enough excuse for something like this to happen.
See this is the issue I have LP. She's still a kid, yet there's people attacking her. Now of course she has some blame attached to her, but she shouldn't have ever been in the position to sleep with a 27 year old, both through the means of being able to communicate and Adam himself. He was careless, and a lot of these excuses were made by sexual predators (and rightly not accepted).

I completely see where you're coming from and it's nice to see that you have some sympathy for the girl :smile: however I believe she carries substantial blame. Now from what I hear, she slept with Adam. She wasn't raped. If the latter had happened to her then yeah I would be on her side, ranting all sorts etc. Adam didn't force her to sleep with him, she willingly entered into intercourse on the assumption of her being 18+, it's trickery, deceitfulness and quite frankly her fault. Girls these days.

Adam was careless in a sense that he cheated on his wife. It's not sexual preditory.
:redface:

----------------------
On the argument of aged 15, I'm sorry but what is society coming to? It's a perfectly appropriate age to know right from wrong, yes maturity levels vary from person to person but 15 is a sensible enough age. There's needs to be a halt in the amount of people babying teenagers about, that's the problem. That's why this country has one of the worst behaved young people in Europe, if not the world. Bring back discipline :fuhrer:
**** man, reason I miss the Netherlands. You never hear bull**** stories like this.
Reply 89
That vine of Johnson on Sky Sports turning around pre-match is terrible in hindsight. Cocky prat.
Original post by sr90
At 15 you are not old enough to make an informed decision about having sex with a grown man.

I think there will be some people who are possible exceptions to anything legally gated by age criteria. I've seen enough knuckleheads on here aged 18 and above who are legally entitled to vote, while I've known those underaged being denied the vote by age who are more worthy.

Citing age restrictions by law becomes problematic when some of the laws make arbitrary distinctions, probably because a lot of law makers have no background, formal or informal, in philosophy. For example, there's no law prohibiting the use of male circumcision for therapeutic grounds on males under the age of 16 but they cannot get a tattoo at the same age? Then again, Romeo & Juliet situations were made illegal by the Sexual Offences Act 2008 but I bet Shakespeare's play is still on the National Curriculum.

If she 'consented' (her view, not the ruling elite) then Adam Johnson should have the Young Man's Defence available to him, if this hasn't been done away with. That said, seeing his girlfriend I don't know why he would bother anyway.
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
On the argument of aged 15, I'm sorry but what is society coming to? It's a perfectly appropriate age to know right from wrong, yes maturity levels vary from person to person but 15 is a sensible enough age. There's needs to be a halt in the amount of people babying teenagers about, that's the problem. That's why this country has one of the worst behaved young people in Europe, if not the world. Bring back discipline :fuhrer:

I never understood society with this when it comes to sex. It goes out of the window when you get teenagers of the same age who commit a crime, say, murder. Remember the case of Venables and Thompson? Suddenly they were adults because they committed murder and were afforded no acknowledgement as to their age for morality reasons. But then the law cherry picks anyway. Seriously, philosophy should be taught in schools.
I completely see where you're coming from and it's nice to see that you have some sympathy for the girl :smile: however I believe she carries substantial blame. Now from what I hear, she slept with Adam. She wasn't raped. If the latter had happened to her then yeah I would be on her side, ranting all sorts etc. Adam didn't force her to sleep with him, she willingly entered into intercourse on the assumption of her being 18+, it's trickery, deceitfulness and quite frankly her fault. Girls these days.

Adam was careless in a sense that he cheated on his wife. It's not sexual preditory.

----------------------

LP you do Law, you should know it comes under statutory rape :colonhash:

To be perfectly honest, this kind of incident highlights everything I feel is wrong with modern day society. Too much fornication.

----------------------

I'm out of rep :frown:
Instead I give you the everlasting honour of a mental +1... Hope you're honoured...
If it did happen, he deserves prison & she certainly deserves some sort of punishment too. I don't want to say too much as the finer details will only be known by the Police, but the girl doesn't strike me as an innocent young lass that was taken advantage of, but more like a scheming, cunning little weasel :colonhash:
LP you do Law, you should know it comes under statutory rape :colonhash:

To be perfectly honest, this kind of incident highlights everything I feel is wrong with modern day society. Too much fornication.

I know lovely but sometimes the Law doesn't take a moralistic view, if it does there will be many unanswered questions as to what constitutes as a crime and what doesn't.

That was my personal view. I appreciate where you're coming from but I just don't agree that Adam is the fundamental problem in this.

Original post by AdamCee
I'm out of rep :frown:
Instead I give you the everlasting honour of a mental +1... Hope you're honoured...

Awww that's okay haha, I do appreciate it. Thank you :h:
Reply 96
Original post by TornadoGR4
If it did happen, he deserves prison & she certainly deserves some sort of punishment too. I don't want to say too much as the finer details will only be known by the Police, but the girl doesn't strike me as an innocent young lass that was taken advantage of, but more like a scheming, cunning little weasel :colonhash:

What do you know about her personality?
Original post by Mackay

Nothing, I'm just impressionable.
Original post by Mackay

We know it's not nice to assume stuff but I see what he means. I know girls like that.
https://vine.co/v/O0hdz5VYBQO

In all srsness, Johnson gonna get Johnsoned at Her Majesty's Pleasure in Durham. They don't look kindly towards nonces in there.

Quick Reply

Latest