The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCE Physics Unit 1 - 19th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Um is anyone doing AQA here?
Jan 15 IAL was a bitch
Reply 62
Original post by Achint10
Jan 15 IAL was a bitch

I knowww tell me abt it :/ do u have any notes tho? that could actually help or can u explain projectile motion??
Original post by Achint10
Jan 15 IAL was a bitch

Hi, how's your prep going? Do the IAL papers have the same spec? / where can I access them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by madmenace
Hi, how's your prep going? Do the IAL papers have the same spec? / where can I access them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

preps good, just struggle with time usually. the spec's pretty much the same. here's a folder with all the jan 15 papers:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B23NLD5L6099flZuR3hLRUdnNXJfbDBPTjJ2SWR4VlJuMzA4WS1wN3NSU1JXU3hkV0kteTA&usp=sharing

Original post by mary.k
I knowww tell me abt it :/ do u have any notes tho? that could actually help or can u explain projectile motion??

the only notes i have are the ones I got form the revision guide..i rely mostly on m1 tbh. anything specific you struggle with?
(edited 8 years ago)
Can some one explain me the materials section the properties of materials

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SOREN_TORETTO
Can some one explain me the materials section the properties of materials

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hard - Can scratch or indent, and withstands being scratched
Brittle - Breaks without plastic deformation
Ductile - Can be drawn into a wire by applying a tensile force
Malleable - Can be reshaped by applying a compressive force
Elastic - Returns to its original shape after being deformed
Plastic - Does not return to its original shape after being deformed
Strong - Widthstands large static loads (non-moving) without breaking
Tough - Withstands large dynamic loads (moving) without breaking
Stiff - Resists deforming by tension or compression
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 67
Does anyone know a page/link where it states all the formulae that we need to know/should know (especially the ones we will not be given in the exam)? :confused:
Original post by gideon123
these things come up in practically EVERY exam without fail....definitions for laminar/turbulent flow, malleable, hard, ductile, limit of proportionality,elastic limit and yield point - so memorize word for word from the mark schemes their defenitions

We've learnt about limit of proportionality, elastic limit and yield point but nothing about laminar/turbulent flow? I'm confused if I need to learn this as well now, thanks
This unit is the hardest unit :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can someone tell me how to do this
Posted from TSR Mobile
And i still dont get these graphs :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ok so gravity has no effect in horizontal component so t=s/v =2.7/31=0.087 seconds

now we have to show how the ball will fall 4cm...falling is vertical and gravity acts in the vertical component...so this is what we now know; a=-9.81, t=0.087, u=0, and we need to find s

so we use s=ut+0.5at^2

s=0 +(0.5x9.81x0.087^2)= 0.037 meters = 3.7 centimeters

hope this helps!
Original post by SOREN_TORETTO
And i still dont get these graphs :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

here i think the answer is B because the lift starts off at rest so u=0 but then accelerates until constant velocity...hence acceleration drops to zero because of newtons 1/2 law...constant velocity means there is no resultant force and therefore is there is no resultant force then acceleration is zero. the lift then decelerates when it is near to reaching the next floor ....so the graph goes negative
Original post by dezzer97
Hard - Can scratch or indent, and withstands being scratched
Brittle - Breaks without plastic deformation
Ductile - Can be drawn into a wire by applying a tensile force
Malleable - Can be reshaped by applying a compressive force
Elastic - Returns to its original shape after being deformed
Plastic - Does not return to its original shape after being deformed
Strong - Widthstands large static loads (non-moving) without breaking
Tough - Withstands large dynamic loads (moving) without breaking
Stiff - Resists deforming by tension or compression

Just to elaborate on this:
Brittle: undergoes little to no plastic deformation before it suddenly fractures. Materials tend to shatter like glass.
Ductile: can be readily drawn into wires under tensile forces - undergoes large amounts of plastic deformation and retains its strength.
Malleable: can be hammered or rolled into thin sheets under compressive forces - undergoes large amounts of plastic deformation and doesn't necessarily retain its strength.
Elastic: returns to its original dimensions once the deforming force is removed.
Strong: withstand large forces before they fracture, large breaking stress.
Tough: can absorb lots of energy before the material fractures - usually undergoes considerable amounts of plastic deformation in order to absorb lots of energy.
Stiff: materials have a high resistance to tensile and compressive forces - measured by the Young's Modulus, the higher it is the more stiff the material is. Materials exhibit small deformations when subjected to large forces.

Compressive: the length of an object is shortened.
Tensile: the length of an object is stretched.

Elastic deformation: materials will return to its original dimensions once the deforming force is removed (tensile/compressive). When a material is put under tension, the atoms are pulled apart from one another and can move a small distance relative to their equilibrium position. Once the form is removed, the atoms return to their equilibrium position.
Plastic deformation: materials wont return to their original dimensions as the atoms do not return to their equilibrium position, and so the material retains permanently deformed. Materials undergo this type of deformation when the limit of proportionality is exceeded (no longer in the elastic zone, enters the plastic zone).
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi everyone this is important.... WHERE CAN I FIND ALL THE PRACTICES WE NEED TO KNOW AND WHAT THEY ARE... Please help
I need more practice :frown:
Original post by madmenace
Hi everyone this is important.... WHERE CAN I FIND ALL THE PRACTICES WE NEED TO KNOW AND WHAT THEY ARE... Please help

not sure where you can find them but the only practicals i have seen in the exams is, an experiment for the youngs modulus and an experiment to find the value of gravity
This is the easiest unit and still not confident about an A :frown: would ocr pp help?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending