The Student Room Group

Am terrified of going bald!

I'm in my early 20s now and I'm terrified of losing my hair. I have no symptoms yet, but I'm really paranoid about it, and can't help myself. Makes me really miserable and scared about getting older. I'm terrified I'll go bald before settling down and then will find it hard to get dates. The media just presents baldness in such a bad light, it seems ok to make fun, look at them different, which I don't feel is fair.

Anyone in the same position or/and can offer advice about it?
Reply 1
anyone?
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I'm in my early 20s now and I'm terrified of losing my hair. I have no symptoms yet, but I'm really paranoid about it, and can't help myself. Makes me really miserable and scared about getting older. I'm terrified I'll go bald before settling down and then will find it hard to get dates. The media just presents baldness in such a bad light, it seems ok to make fun, look at them different, which I don't feel is fair.

As somebody that started going bald years ago i can thankfully say that most women don't care. Have a nice body, look stylish, have an okay face.. you pass those criteria and your fine.
My grandma has a bald spot in her wig
visit a doctor?
balding = sexual death sentence
Hahahaha I had no idea there was a Norwood scale for baldness. That's awesome. I'm a Norwood 2 and have been since I was ~17 but I think I might be like 2.5 at this point. I don't have any advice except maybe you should join a boyband since they never seem to lose any hair at all.
Original post by Anonymous

get a shampoo and conditioner that contain Ketokonazole- regenpure is supposed to be the best as it is sulphate free. ketokonazole lowers the level of DHT in the scalp, DHT is supposedly what prevents folicles from producing hair.
Reply 8
Original post by Zachary T-H
get a shampoo and conditioner that contain Ketokonazole- regenpure is supposed to be the best as it is sulphate free. ketokonazole lowers the level of DHT in the scalp, DHT is supposedly what prevents folicles from producing hair.

I could be naive, but I don't think something that is applied externally can effect hormonal levels. Finasteride works as it's applied internally.
Original post by elohssa
I could be naive, but I don't think something that is applied externally can effect hormonal levels. Finasteride works as it's applied internally.

Sorry, bad writing style, It cleanses DHT from the hair follicle- (i guess you can count this as lowering the level in the folicle?) I'm not a hair loss expert but from what iv'e read there have been some promising lab tests and people are reporting positive results- check it out for yourself if your interested, sorry for my poor explanation. :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Zachary T-H
Sorry, bad writing style, It cleanses DHT from the hair follicle- (i guess you can count this as lowering the level in the folicle?) I'm not a hair loss expert but from what iv'e read there have been some promising lab tests and people are reporting positive results- check it out for yourself if your interested, sorry for my poor explanation. :smile:

Ah, that sounds more plausible.
Reply 11
Original post by kaiwid23
Minoxidil is proven to halt or slow hair loss and it's topical. It is absorbed into the skin and affects blood flow more.

I've heard of that but it seems in all male studies it is used alongside finasteride; which makes its affects questionable.
Original post by elohssa
Ah, that sounds more plausible.

Yeah, i simplified it to lower levels in the scalp- I should of just been factually correct :rolleyes:
Original post by kaiwid23
When did you start balding?

Before 20.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending