The Student Room Group

Who do you unfriend on Facebook?

Well I was considering deleting people who I haven't spoken too since high school (almost 2 years ago) before I go to uni, but at the same time I remember all the fun times I once had with them and don't want too. I just don't want so many people snooping into my life once I get to uni. Also people that I've met one time but were really nice to me like at a party or something. Are they worth having as friends if I've never spoken to them since?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by em211997
Well I was considering deleting people who I haven't spoken too since high school (almost 2 years ago) before I go to uni, but at the same time I remember all the fun times I once had with them and don't want too. I just don't want so many people snooping into my life once I get to uni. Also people that I've met one time but were really nice to me like at a party or something. Are they worth having as friends if I've never spoken to them since?

Before I deactivated my FB, I would always get rid of people I didn't speak to that often/wasn't within my friend group. This way I didn't get people snooping when I wouldn't want them to :biggrin:

(If anyone would ask, I'd always reply: you and I never really talk.)
Reply 2
In all my Facebook life (since 2007 basically), I've probably only deleted about 5 'friends'... And they've all been people I didn't know very well to begin with/were mutual friends that had somehow added me etc. The reasons are normally if they 1) Randomly comment something rude/controversial on one of my posts or 2) Post lots of pointless things on a regular basis that I simply don't want to see.

I'm still 'Facebook Friends' with pretty much most of the people I've ever added and I think that's partly due to laziness on my part (I just can't be bothered to go through my friend list and delete people) and partly due to wanting to still sort of keep in contact with old acquaintances, in case I ever randomly think of one of them and decide to message them!! (Unlikely).
People from my school who I didn't even know but randomly added me.
I'm not really bothered about who I have added as a friend, because my updates only get shared with close friends and family anyway, as I have a separate group. So the high school randoms don't see a thing (other than if I change my profile picture or something).

I do think it's nice to see some updates sometimes, even though we might not talk anymore. Regardless of how much you spoke to someone it's nice to see that they're doing well when they were a part of your childhood. But I wouldn't want them seeing too much about me to be honest.
I deleted my ex, better than reading all his stuff and seeing him with another girl.
Mainly people who I haven't spoken to in 6 months or more, unless at some point we were good friends. Although I never use Facebook or update details, I like to keep my contact lists clean.
Reply 7
I delete people when they come up in my news feed and:
- I think "who is this again?"
- they post the 99th "luv ma bae omg lulz" status
- they post nude pics
- they do something else that particularly annoys me and I haven't seen them in the last 6 months

I don't go through a purge intentionally, but I'll sometimes delete 4 or 5 people in a night because I'm in a bad mood and their idiocy (and distant relationship to me) has wound me up too much
If anyone ever asked me why I deleted them, there would be 2 options only. It was a mistake, and I'd apologise accordingly. Or, as the fact that they questioned it would prove, they were just too damn annoying to keep.
Reply 8
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Mainly people who I haven't spoken to in 6 months or more, unless at some point we were good friends. Although I never use Facebook or update details, I like to keep my contact lists clean.

For me I was good friends with a lot of people who I haven't spoken to in a while (I was once very sociable lol) but I just don't have the heart to delete them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Katie_p
I delete people when they come up in my news feed and:
- I think "who is this again?"
- they post the 99th "luv ma bae omg lulz" status
- they post nude pics
- they do something else that particularly annoys me and I haven't seen them in the last 6 months

I don't go through a purge intentionally, but I'll sometimes delete 4 or 5 people in a night because I'm in a bad mood and their idiocy (and distant relationship to me) has wound me up too much
If anyone ever asked me why I deleted them, there would be 2 options only. It was a mistake, and I'd apologise accordingly. Or, as the fact that they questioned it would prove, they were just too damn annoying to keep.

I had about 700 and purged down to around 500 once and idky but I felt good about myself lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I like to keep my online presence to a minimum, especially with social media where it has my real name and my picture.

I recently went through and deleted people that I don't see regularly, I currently have just 48 friends.

I also unfriend those who constantly post rubbish, or post statuses about everything they do during the day.
The last people I deleted were the weirdos who added me and then asked me out.

Before that, it was people who just annoyed me.
Original post by em211997
For me I was good friends with a lot of people who I haven't spoken to in a while (I was once very sociable lol) but I just don't have the heart to delete them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well by good friends I mean friends I spent time with every day for certain periods of my life, and close school friends, college friends, university friends. Or people I haven't spent that much time with currently but I get along very well with.
Reply 13
i don't particularly bother 'cleaning out' my friends (i only add people if i know them/like them), so i have quite a few people on there who i havent spoken to in years. still, it's nice to see how theyre doing.

i only unfriend people when they post something that pisses me off. the most recent was a dude who posted some anti-feminist bull**** that warranted an instant delete.
(edited 9 years ago)
People who I've met on a night out and don't speak to them ever again and people who are rude
I normally delete people who I've not spoken to in several months or people that aren't in my life anymore
I apply what I refer to as "the street rule". Basically if they are someone that I wouldn't stop to talk to or even acknowledge if I past them in the street then I probably shouldn't have them on facebook!
Reply 17
Original post by randdom
I apply what I refer to as "the street rule". Basically if they are someone that I wouldn't stop to talk to or even acknowledge if I past them in the street then I probably shouldn't have them on facebook!

This tbh I know exactly what you mean.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It is painful when someone you once talked with daily decides to not only delete but block you.
Original post by Blue-Shoes
It is painful when someone you once talked with daily decides to not only delete but block you.

That is harsh. :frown: I will tend to delete someone if they've done something to piss me off. I will only block someone if they've done serious. (ie, those idiots who added me and then asked me out)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending