The Student Room Group

Should I take Sociology A-level

Im new to thestudentroom so I'm not sure if i posted in the right section... Either way i was wondering if anyone could tell me whether taking sociology as an A level (without having taken it for GCSE) would be a good thing or a bad thing? I would be taking it instead of history and would like to know the pros and cons??? PLEASE help me choose between the two subjects.
I don't do Sociology at A-level or GCSE, but Sociology is a very rare GCSE in comparison to the A-level. At my sixth form, Sociology is offered at A-level but our school doesn't offer it at GCSE, so every student who takes Sociology now came into it new. The syllabus is designed to allow students to come into the subject without any previous Sociological knowledge, so you should be fine on that count.
Original post by loperdoper
I don't do Sociology at A-level or GCSE, but Sociology is a very rare GCSE in comparison to the A-level. At my sixth form, Sociology is offered at A-level but our school doesn't offer it at GCSE, so every student who takes Sociology now came into it new. The syllabus is designed to allow students to come into the subject without any previous Sociological knowledge, so you should be fine on that count.

thanks you!!! i do think i am going to take history instead of Sociology just due to the fact that i love history and am not sure about the sociology course... Thank you so much though this did actually help!!:smile::smile:
Original post by totorosbadacorn
thanks you!!! i do think i am going to take history instead of Sociology just due to the fact that i love history and am not sure about the sociology course... Thank you so much though this did actually help!!:smile::smile:

My 6th form was tiny and didn't offer sociology so I don't know much about it but I would say History is a lot harder, but don't let that stop you if you love it.
Reply 4
I'd rather take History than Sociology, I done both for GCSE and Sociology was a complete bore. History will so much more interesting at AS-Level than sociology (at my college anyway)
I took sociology at a level and I hadn’t studied it before so I’ll give you my pros and cons
Pros
- very interesting you learn alot of things that you didn’t think you’d be learning out
- a lot of the things I learnt also crossed over in my other subjects which was nice
- if you know how to answer the questions correctly it’s easy to start to gain marks

Cons
- very very content heavy there is a lot of content you need to learn For the exams Including theorists names of people , statistics so be prepared
- it is alot of writing and in the exams it can be exhausting as your having to write 3-4 essays
- it can be overwhelming with the amount of content If you don’t stay on top of it

Overall I would recommend if you love writhing and learning about different peoples viewpoints but bare in mind that there is an awful lot to learn !
Original post by fashion_1427
I took sociology at a level and I hadn’t studied it before so I’ll give you my pros and cons
Pros
- very interesting you learn alot of things that you didn’t think you’d be learning out
- a lot of the things I learnt also crossed over in my other subjects which was nice
- if you know how to answer the questions correctly it’s easy to start to gain marks

Cons
- very very content heavy there is a lot of content you need to learn For the exams Including theorists names of people , statistics so be prepared
- it is alot of writing and in the exams it can be exhausting as your having to write 3-4 essays
- it can be overwhelming with the amount of content If you don’t stay on top of it

Overall I would recommend if you love writhing and learning about different peoples viewpoints but bare in mind that there is an awful lot to learn !

I think you're seven years too late
It may help someone else who discovers this !
Reply 8
it helped me !! thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest