The Student Room Group
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website

Bangor PGCE primary 2015/2016

Hi all,

I've been accepted to Bangor for primary PGCE for 2015/16 and am wondering has anyone else been accepted?

How is everyone feeling about the possibility of Teaching practice being hours away from the University campus :frown:

As I am travelling over from Ireland i'd love to hear from any other Irish students heading over in Sept. :smile:

Cheers

Fiach

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi fiach,
Well done! I've been accepted too, I'm not from Ireland but am travelling from South Wales. Are you staying in halls or private accommodation?

Beth ☺️
(edited 9 years ago)
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website
Reply 2
Hi Beth,

Well done on being accepted. What age group are you gonna take?

Wow traveling from South Wales leaves you in a similar situation to me. I was thinking about taking Uni halls for the first two weeks to get my bearings then trying to get somewhere private for short term until we start teaching practice. I don't want to sign a year long lease only to find that i'm teaching hours away. There's lots of properties on the Student pad Bangor website but not many of them are short term let. Have you made any decisions yourself on what to do? It's all a bit daunting not knowing where we will be placed isn't it? :s-smilie:

Fiach
Reply 3
Hi Beth and Fiach

I have been accepted on to the Primary PGCE course too. I am going to teach the 3 - 7 age range. I am also struggling to find a place to stay. I live in Pembrokeshire, and in the interview I was told I would be placed in Pembrokeshire and as a result I definitely wont be getting a long term let. I thought of living in halls for the first two weeks and then finding somewhere else but I don't really want to have the hassle of sorting out accommodation while I am there. I was hoping to get accommodation with other people on the course but the University wouldn't provide me with anyone's details. If I was to find a short term let would either of you be interested in sharing a house?
Reply 4
hey, yeah i'm going for the 3-7 age range too :smile:
i'm not too sure what i'm going to do but it's good to know i'm not the only one with this problem! I was thinking of just staying in halls for the whole year as I don't fancy moving in and out of places :frown:
Ben, where would you rent a house? would you move around?

Beth
Reply 5
I am hoping to live at home for the placement part of the course. I was going to just look for a short term let in the Bangor area for the two 6 week blocks of lectures. Have you asked if we can just pay for a years rent in halls? If so how much does this cost? In the interview I was told we can only stay in halls for the first 2 weeks and then we get kicked out but I didn't ask if we could pay a years rent and then use halls for the two 6 week blocks of lectures.
Reply 6
awhh I was thinking about doing that, but as I live so far away I would still need accommodation for the placements as well :/ I think you just apply for halls- theres a postgraduate application, and you can stay for the year. I need to look more into it, but my friend did a masters and stayed in halls.
Reply 7
Drop them an email and ask where your placement is going to be. I asked in the interview and I was told that I would be placed in Pembrokeshire so I presume that everyone will get placed close to where they live. If this is the case you may not need accommodation in Bangor for the placements.
Reply 8
I live in south wales, they said that they can't go lower than Brecon because it's classed as Swansea/Cardiff area then :/ But I will email them and see what they say!
Reply 9
oh that would make sense, I remember them saying that in the presentation they gave us on the interview day.
Reply 10
Hi guys

I've been given a conditional offer for the PGCE so i have just got to pass my current degree!

With placements do we get to choose where we go or will they choose them for us?

Thanks
Reply 11
Hi Ffion

I don't think so, I asked if I could go to the school closest to my house and they said no. What are you doing for accommodation Ffion?
Reply 12
Oh right that's a bit rubbish isn't it but thanks :smile: I live in Wrexham so I'm going to commute for the time we are actually in university just means a few very early mornings!! See how it goes if it all fails I'll look into staying in a B&B Monday to Thursday and travel home for the weekend are you having trouble with accommodation?
Reply 13
Ye really struggling not a clue what to do. I want to live with people on the course ideally but until someone who's looking for a short term let writes on this post I haven't got anyone to rent with.
Reply 14
Aww no it's rubbish isn't it! Some people are still waiting for results so they may be reluctant to sign up to a contract incase they don't get the grades etc? You might have more luck in June when people know more
Reply 15
Hi all,

As I'm not from Wales I don't have a clue about placement locations but am I right in saying you guys are being placed where you request or at least being told where you'll be placed. I'd love to be placed close to Bangor but can imagine everyone would want that. If its only 2c6 week blocks in the college I would consider a B and B for then but would prefer a house especially if we got a few together from the course.
Reply 16
Hi I'm not entirely sure I think they'll place you a reasonable distance from where you live. For example they said because I'm from Wrexham and therefore not fluent in Welsh it's unlikely that I'll be placed near Bangor and further up that way? But I know a few people are from Wrexham and villages close to it that are going to do the course and I don't think they'll want placements up there if that helps? I emailed the enquiries department before I applied and they said that it would be possible to have placements near to where you live but don't take that as gospel :smile:
Reply 17
I looked into a B+B but it was really expensive.
Reply 18
Hi guys,
thanks for replies. I suppose ill have to go with the flow re placement as im not likely to be placed anywhere in the welsh speaking region. id love toget wrexham myself. i wonder can we swap to suit ourselves? Ben how much we talking for B and B? I know campus accommodation is fairly expensive if we could only use it for 12 weeks.
Reply 19
I only emailed a few B+B's and only one got back to me and said it was £30 a night.

30*42 (nights) = £1260,

£1260 * 2 = £2520

Quick Reply

Latest