The Student Room Group

Don't want to go to uni yet - but who will employ me? (English/Writing related)

I'm currently in Year 13 and want to hold university off for another year, because I feel like if I go now I'll only regret it - my mental health isn't the greatest at the moment and I just don't feel ready. If/when I go, it'll be for a course in English Literature and French.

However this leaves the problem of what the hell I can actually do for the next year. I'd like something to do with writing but I'm quite reserved and shy, so all the phone calls and business skills that come with PR and marketing really aren't for me - I'd like something that literally allows me to sit in an office and write and get paid for it.
I'm taking A Levels in English Literature, French and Sociology and have a writing job for a magazine alongside my college work.

I've spent most of this year going 'I'll just get a job' but it's dawning on me that no magazine or similar is going to employ an 18-year-old - admittedly with some experience, but probably with average A Levels and no degree :colondollar: I really don't want to waste a year of my life working in a supermarket as I feel I'll end up feeling even worse than now, but I feel realistically that's what I'll end up doing.

I realise I'm being ridiculously naive by even thinking that a company would employ an 18-year-old, especially when there are thousands of graduates struggling for the same jobs, but I need to sort myself out and soon :confused: What are some writing-related jobs, or at least university alternatives, that you can realistically get into without a degree? Is it possible?
Hello

Sorry to hear about your health problems. It seems like a good idea to delay University until you feel ready to go. Your aim is quite tricky because to get a job as a writer you need to be an experienced writer with something to show your employers - also, I suspect many writing jobs are going to be freelance, rather than traditional 9 - 5 jobs. Perhaps you can think about doing a combination of voluntary work - to get experience - and working in another job to get some money - you could go see your local voluntary work place and tell them what you are after, they might have some suggestions where you can do something which many involve some writing, and you can get some experience before university.

You will have to give a commitment of 6 months but this might suit better than trying to get a full time job - then you will have used your year 'off' well. Good luck

Original post by asdfghjkl1234567
I'm currently in Year 13 and want to hold university off for another year, because I feel like if I go now I'll only regret it - my mental health isn't the greatest at the moment and I just don't feel ready. If/when I go, it'll be for a course in English Literature and French.

However this leaves the problem of what the hell I can actually do for the next year. I'd like something to do with writing but I'm quite reserved and shy, so all the phone calls and business skills that come with PR and marketing really aren't for me - I'd like something that literally allows me to sit in an office and write and get paid for it.
I'm taking A Levels in English Literature, French and Sociology and have a writing job for a magazine alongside my college work.

I've spent most of this year going 'I'll just get a job' but it's dawning on me that no magazine or similar is going to employ an 18-year-old - admittedly with some experience, but probably with average A Levels and no degree :colondollar: I really don't want to waste a year of my life working in a supermarket as I feel I'll end up feeling even worse than now, but I feel realistically that's what I'll end up doing.

I realise I'm being ridiculously naive by even thinking that a company would employ an 18-year-old, especially when there are thousands of graduates struggling for the same jobs, but I need to sort myself out and soon :confused: What are some writing-related jobs, or at least university alternatives, that you can realistically get into without a degree? Is it possible?
Reply 2
Have you considered tutoring English or teaching English abroad? There are a number of programs to teach abroad though I am not sure if it requires the applicant to be currently enrolled in uni. World Teach is one such program. There are a number of countries you can pick from. The French Ministry of Education also has a English Language Assistant program. They pay native English speakers to teach in their schools throughout France and its overseas department. It will give you a job and something to do, plus living abroad experience which would help your college application stand out even more when you apply.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending