The Student Room Group
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website

Plymouth Optometry 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrJDCoops
Overall grade in year one was DDD, yes I am prepared for the challenge, I have started to look into researching things for the course... My accommodation wasn't cheap, but I'm sure there are a number of places that will be within reasonable price range... And no, always happy to answer questions if it helps others :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww okay. How did u pay for accomadation? Do u take loan?.
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website
Well I am using my own money and yes the student finance loan I'm using too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well I am using my own money and yes the student finance loan I'm using too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm confused . I don'tkno anything bout how u pay fees. How much loan can u take. When do u hav to pay the loan bk
Original post by NuNu4569
Hiya :smile: I'm a first year student here, i've been here a year and i'm gonna do exams soon. So far so good, I live in Gilwell and its the cheapest, but it's great fun, clean and close to the uni, plus unlike Robbins there arnt many stairs, and you get 1 key for everything!. Also the course is taught well through lectures and practicals, with some seminars. The teachers teach well but obviously some are more preferred depending on which methods of teaching you. Financially, student finance didn't go too smoothly for me because i was missing a few letters, so make sure you bring all your papers and ID!!! And make sure you get your DBS certificate too, it's very important. If your moving from up north, don't worry, i'm from London and in my class there are people from everywhere (up North, Wales, Caribbean!), many asians too so yay (Asim) ! LOL
Hope to see you lot next year anyway, i'll be happy to help with anything, last year i was confused as hell :P

Hi,

I have done a one day placement at my local Opticians.
Would you recommend I do additional Work experience?

Also, Should I try and do my work experience with a well known company such as Boots or Specsavers? or does it not matter where the work experience is done?
Reply 44
do you think optom will be on clearing this year?
Hi Julia, I'm Joshua, great to come across someone who will also be studying Optometry in Plymouth this year! Hope you're looking forward to it as much as I am! :smile:
And I got an offer from studying Applied Science Level 3 BTEC, so they do offer BTEC too

Hi Josh and Asim,

Quite refreshing to see a few fellow BTEC students getting offers from Plymouth, makes a change from all the other rejection stories I heard and got. LOL. Hope to see you guys soon.

Kav
Hi Guys and Girls,

Does anybody know when optometry at Plymouth will start?

Cheers,

Kav
Thanks Kav! And my UCAS says 21st September... But in assuming that's when freshers week starts

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks Kav! And my UCAS says 21st September... But in assuming that's when freshers week starts

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck. How much does your accommodation costs and how much do u pay in each instalmrnt
Original post by Uz25
Good luck. How much does your accommodation costs and how much do u pay in each instalmrnt

Hi mate,

My accommodation cost is £4,700. I believe it's 3/£4,700 per semester.
Original post by Snookerboy147
Hi mate,

My accommodation cost is £4,700. I believe it's 3/£4,700 per semester.

I'm a girl.... :/ but Heyya back mate!! looooooool. Ohhhh how much Maintence loan do u get per semester? like how do u manage to pay it each semester? actually you're wrong i researched it depends on the uni but it's like 40% of the amount.
Original post by Uz25
I'm a girl.... :/ but Heyya back mate!! looooooool. Ohhhh how much Maintence loan do u get per semester? like how do u manage to pay it each semester? actually you're wrong i researched it depends on the uni but it's like 40% of the amount.

Lol. Anyways what am I wrong about? Maintenance loan is based on your parents income. anywhere from 7k per year to 3.5 K. It is payed back at the end of the degree slowly over 25 years. Don't worry you wont have to pay it all back each year. How do they expect you to pay that as a student? LOL.
Original post by Snookerboy147
Lol. Anyways what am I wrong about? Maintenance loan is based on your parents income. anywhere from 7k per year to 3.5 K. It is payed back at the end of the degree slowly over 25 years. Don't worry you wont have to pay it all back each year. How do they expect you to pay that as a student? LOL.

No lol... your misunderstanding moi! I',m basically asking you how do you pay your accomadation fees per instalment? When do they give you your Maintenece loan? As i've heard you can use that to pay of you accomdation loan. HoPE THAT MAKES more sense!
Original post by Uz25
No lol... your misunderstanding moi! I',m basically asking you how do you pay your accomadation fees per instalment? When do they give you your Maintenece loan? As i've heard you can use that to pay of you accomdation loan. HoPE THAT MAKES more sense!

You pay from your bank to the uni when the government provide you with the loan in your bank like two weeks before you start.
Hello once again,

Just to ask is everyone going to go to the freshers week? Or is everyone doing other things?

Kav
I'll be going to freshers 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have people done there DBS check?
Hello everyone, I have just finished my first year at Plymouth university studying optometry. It had its ups and downs but overall, it was a good year. As part of optometry at Plymouth university, we have EyeSoc which is run mainly by the 2nd years and will be a chance for you soon to be first years to get to know the 2nd years and 3rd years. I am pleased to say that I have taken up the social sec role as part of EyeSoc for the 2015/2016 academic year. If you guys are on facebook, it would be good to get in touch soon. With A level results day approaching, I am wishing you guys the best of luck and dont worry if doesn't all go to plan, everything will be ok. Enjoy the rest of your summer holidays and I'll see you guys in September :smile:.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AdamOgidi
Hello everyone, I have just finished my first year at Plymouth university studying optometry. It had its ups and downs but overall, it was a good year. As part of optometry at Plymouth university, we have EyeSoc which is run mainly by the 2nd years and will be a chance for you soon to be first years to get to know the 2nd years and 3rd years. I am pleased to say that I have taken up the social sec role as part of EyeSoc for the 2015/2016 academic year. If you guys are on facebook, it would be good to get in touch soon. With A level results day approaching, I am wishing you guys the best of luck and dont worry if doesn't all go to plan, everything will be ok. Enjoy the rest of your summer holidays and I'll see you guys in September :smile:.

Hiya, Im starting optometry at plym next year. I was wondering whats the course structure like and what specifically were the 'ups and downs'. Could you give any tips for 1st year and things to prepare for.
Sorry for all the questions

Thanks!

**Also is there tightnit optom community (similar to medsoc)? are the EyeSoc socials any good?
Reply 59
Original post by sheepshap
Hiya, Im starting optometry at plym next year. I was wondering whats the course structure like and what specifically were the 'ups and downs'. Could you give any tips for 1st year and things to prepare for.
Sorry for all the questions

Thanks!

**Also is there tightnit optom community (similar to medsoc)? are the EyeSoc socials any good?

Hi in addition to the questions asked by sheepshap, I was wondering if there is any current first/second year students who can shed some light on the following questions please...

Is there many mature students on the course ??? As I will be 28 ....

Whats the most relevant core knowledge required prior to the course?

Which accommodation would you avoid ??

Sorry for all the questions as there is little information available from current/past students as the course has been established very recently.

Thanks any responses will be hugely appreciated.

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending