The Student Room Group

Petroleum engineering second choice Dilemma

Hello everybody,this is my first post on this forum so please be gentle with me.
I am having a difficult time on choosing a second option for my ucas application.
I am trying to decide which of those 2 universities should i choose for my petroleum engineering(undergraduate)degree
(Portsmouth University or Manchester University)Will be starting my undergraduate degree this autumn 2015.I wrote down on a paper the advantages and disadvantages.

Manchester University
-good passing mark
-has 4 years of study+master included
-is very well known in the top universities(like 30 i guess,as a good and tehnical university)
-BP(british petroleum)teachers in my degree
-No placement in the petroleum industry

Portsmouth University

-not as known as manchester in top universities
-good passing mark(lower than manchester)
-decent rank university,not the best,not the worst
-has 3 years of study but no master included,however it has a placement after graduation.
-1 year placement in the petroleum industry

I am really having a hard time trying to choose one of these 2.

My main problem is the employment and the employability after i finish the university.

This second option is essential for my application because Leeds university requires a big mark in my final exam and i am not 100% sure i will be able to provide.However Manchester requires lower passing mark than Leeds.And Portsmouth lower mark than Manchester.

My first choice will be Leeds university(5 years including master and 1 placement year)i suppose,however i have a big dilema choosing one of those universities as a second choice.
I am very interested on what will happen after i finish the university,i am talking about
employment here.I would really like to know if it's possible where do i have biggest chances do get employed after i finish the university.
I would really appreciate if you could give me some advice including some argumentation or examples if possible,or possible suggestions.Looking forward for mature replies.
Thank you in advance !
Looking forward hearing from you !
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest