The Student Room Group

French grammar... Do you really need to know it

We have just been doing direct, indirect emphatic pronouns and imperatives in french and it makes me wonder...
Is it essential to know it it. If i spoke to a french person but had somewhat incorrect grammar could they still understand me?
At GCSE level, no grammar has very little importance.

In the Francophone world however, grammar is essential. French people are very much like English people, we have this expectation that a foreigner should be able to speak our language well. If you go to Paris in particular, the people there will be very unwelcoming to people with poor grammar. The countryside is a little different, but nevertheless you should learn your grammar.

If you're having problems with using grammar I recommend you identify the English equivalents to make it easier understand. So the imperative would be treated as commands like "go!" "eat!", then you work out the rule and carry it over to French. The more practise, the easier it will get. The good news is that there is a limited amount of grammar to learn so it isn't as daunting in the long term.

Quick Reply

Latest