The Student Room Group

I need help with IB course selection

Hey guys,

I will be starting IB very soon in a few months. I want to study Computer Sciences at a decent university in the US because I hope to one day become a Software Developer. What IB courses would you guys recommend for me? So far, I'm considering Maths HL, Physics HL, and Computer Science HL. Is Maths HL really extremely difficult? should I take Maths SL instead?

Thanks!
Reply 1
Hello there!

Let me first start of by saying that your chosen subjects are spot-on! You have definitely chosen subjects which are highly esteemed by all universities, including MIT (believe it or not). Nevertheless, if you're positive you can score 6s and hopefully 7s in your chosen courses then you're most definitely on the right track.

For Mathematics at a Higher Level; as far as i'm concerned, it's both tedious and rigorous. However, if you've got the flair for Mathematics, you're efforts will most definitely yield decent results.

All the best,
Reply 2
Original post by AbhiKap55
Hey guys,

I will be starting IB very soon in a few months. I want to study Computer Sciences at a decent university in the US because I hope to one day become a Software Developer. What IB courses would you guys recommend for me? So far, I'm considering Maths HL, Physics HL, and Computer Science HL. Is Maths HL really extremely difficult? should I take Maths SL instead?

Thanks!

The IB subjects you pick don't matter when it comes to US universities BUT if you're planning on applying to competitive universities for computer science (Berkeley, Carnegie Mellon, Stanford etc) then you'll definitely want to pick subjects that'll demonstrate to admission officers that you've got the mathematical capability to succeed in your intended major's core classes. So stick to the subjects you've chosen.

Maths HL is very challenging for most students but you're going to have to stick it through. To be frank, if you're not capable of handling maths HL (and do well/decently) then chances are computer science isn't the thing for you. Core classes are highly quantitative and the maths classes that are required for computer science majors are way more difficult than maths HL will ever be. So do take that into consideration!

Good luck :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending