The Student Room Group

investment advice

i was looking for advice into investments to make money so i am asking for peoples opinions on the following
bullion
assets(jewellery, gemstones and cars)
property/land
stocks and shares
such as opinions of the matter
Reply 1
Real estate is always the king.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by jamesthehustler
i was looking for advice into investments to make money so i am asking for peoples opinions on the following
bullion
property/land
stocks and shares

This depends on many things including:
- How much you're looking to invest
- How risk averse you are
- Are you looking to make a long or short term investment?
- Do you have any existing debts

Perhaps tell us how healthy your finances are right now, age, what sort of background or experience do you have already, your goals and the timeframe, for starters.
Original post by NX172
This depends on many things including:
- How much you're looking to invest
- How risk averse you are
- Are you looking to make a long or short term investment?
- Do you have any existing debts

Perhaps tell us how healthy your finances are right now, age, what sort of background or experience do you have already, your goals and the timeframe, for starters.

£300 in the bank and £480/month incoming
gold/gems +cars i know well
no debts anymore
double portfolio annually in first 10 years then make a long term investment
Reply 4
You ain't gonna do much with what you got now. Save it up first.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
no debts anymore

Pretty much as mentioned above. Keep saving for now.
Reply 6
Original post by msos

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tell that to the Americans or Irish, Expats in Spain or Cyprus.
Reply 7
no debts anymore

It's not much, so I'd really advise you to open up a TSB current account, which pays 5% (gross) on balances up to £2000.
You almost qualify (need to pay in a minimum of £500 a month). At least your money will be safely earning good interest relative to the rest of the market.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cars aren't an asset by any stretch of the imagination. They are a consumer good and quickly lose their value after purchase. If you think you can buy used cars, do them up and then flip up for a profit then that's different. But buying a car will lose you money, not make you money.

If you are interested in buying bullion, I would look into Silver as it is good value right now. silver-to-go is a good website for it as you don't pay VAT.
Reply 9
Original post by The_Mighty_Bush
Cars aren't an asset by any stretch of the imagination. They are a consumer good and quickly lose their value after purchase. If you think you can buy used cars, do them up and then flip up for a profit then that's different. But buying a car will lose you money, not make you money.

If you are interested in buying bullion, I would look into Silver as it is good value right now. silver-to-go is a good website for it as you don't pay VAT.

Classic cars have actually been a very strong investment in the past and I don't see that changing.
Classic cars hit a real bubble a few years back and are selling for less than half what they previously reached. Also if you buy and sell cars you need to register for tax liabilities as a dealer. Other investments are easier to cope with tax wise

taking investment advice on a student forum is bonkers.
Reply 11
Original post by msos

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? Its not worked out too well in Japan has it?
Reply 12
Original post by The_Mighty_Bush

So you can't buy and hold a new car at a profit?

http://home.bt.com/lifestyle/motoring/motoring-news/classic-mini-van-hidden-for-47-years-because-owner-couldnt-pass-driving-test-is-expected-to-sell-for-25000-11363967952441
Reply 13
bullion
property/land
stocks and shares

Out of those only shares and reted land/property have a yeild. The rest are just speculative asset bets.

If you're going to do up the property then that'd probably be best, if you're lokoing for something passive then shares.
Reply 14
Original post by Quady
Really? Its not worked out too well in Japan has it?

We're on about the UK though ain't we? My family has made over £300k profit in the last 5 years flipping properties as a second job. I don't see why it shouldn't work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by msos
We're on about the UK though ain't we? My family has made over £300k profit in the last 5 years flipping properties as a second job. I don't see why it shouldn't work.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You want a UK example then?

Property in Belfast fell 51%, and is still 35% below its peak.

Factor in transaction costs and finance costs thats fairly painful.

The think about opportunity cost...
Reply 16
To me that looks like a great opportunity to buy and sell on with profit when market comes back up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by msos
To me that looks like a great opportunity to buy and sell on with profit when market comes back up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Perhaps, but you said real estate is always the king.

It hasn't been...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending