The Student Room Group

World record: Worlds most multilingual person...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
tequila
My old friend's grandfather was the man they based James Bond on - he could speak about 10 languages absolutely fluently........

James Bond studied Japanese at Cambridge! I remember reading it in their prospectus and thinking that I wanted to do so too. Now, I am planning on Arabic as my best route.
Reply 41
Hmm...so far i am fluent in one language only.
I will be studying japanese at uni so hopefully become fluent in that, and i also really want to learn mandarin and maybe russian! And french and spanish too, they should be slightly easier since they're latin based...
May have to move around a lot to become fluent, but i am determined :biggrin:

I cannot comprehend speaking 94/58 languages fluently though, that is pure madness :yes:
Dr. Alexander Arguelles
He speaks 58 languages, not all fluently.
Here's a link to his youtube account:
http://www.youtube.com/user/profasar
Reply 43
My old Spanish instructor is fluent in 14, I think.

Wait, lemme list it out
i) English
2) Mandarin
3) Malay
4) Spanish
5) Italian
6) Portuguese (Portugal)
7) French
8) German
9) Japanese
10) Korean
11) Portuguese (Brazil)
12) Swedish
13) Dutch
14) Croatian (?) I don't remember

That doesn't include the regional dialects he speeks: Foochow, Hokkien, Hakka, Teo Chew, Cantonese

Apparently he spent 36 years in languages.
Oh, he's trying out Hindi, if I'm not mistaken.
Reply 44
Giuseppe Mezzofanti was pretty awesome at languages too.
I doctor I saw a while back, was fluent and could treat in: Finnish, Swedish, Russian, English, Polish, Italian and German. http://www.haaganlaakarikeskus.fi/paile.html
Original post by Leonardo85
right! well if you learn French then you'll see how easy Italian is! :smile:

French, difficult? It's better than Spanish.

Lol I speak English and Chinese fluently, can get by in French and Malay, and I'm passable at Spanish (passable is equivalent to listening to Cher Lloyd). I'm fifteen. Haii.

I want to learn Russian, Arabic, Greek and German and to fluency in the next 5 years.

Also, this teacher at my school speaks 7-8 fluently, which kind of shows how not-hard (I need a better word for this :P) languages are.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 47
I can only speak English fluently :emo: Although I've been told that my knowledge of the language is better than most despite dropping all English lessons after GCSE.
I'd love to be able to speak a couple of additional languages, but unfortunately my brain is not wired for learning languages - it would seem that it's built for maths.
Reply 48
I'd love to be able to speak many languages. I'm currently learning Russian and then I plan on learning Ukranian and Polish. I wouldn't mind learning Kazakh either, sounds interesting...
Original post by Astor
Is there anything like this? Like a world record of someone who can speak the most languages, fluently?

I reckon it's about 8/9 - there's no way someone can speak 10 fluent languages discussing say, opinions on international migration, in all 10.

I have found people like to say they can speak 4 language, but this includes English and a few words in the other 2, and one fluent.

Enoch Powell could speak 12 I believe, by the time he died.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending