The Student Room Group

Do I have enough UCAS points to apply for university?

I'm looking to apply for university to start in September 2016 (well, 2015 if they'd let me :smile: ), however I am not sure if my qualifications will be enough to get me in.

My qualifications are:
- BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma PASS first year ONLY. If I am correct, this is equivalent to a pass in a 90 credit diploma, which nets me 60 UCAS points.
- A, B, D at AS level (NOT a2). This equates to 140 UCAS points.

Giving me a total of 200 UCAS points, from pretty much 2 half courses.

I'm not expecting to get into a prestigious university with these qualifications.. I just want to know if it'd be possible. I'm looking at studying business & marketing (have a B at AS level business studies.

Do I have a hope in hell, or is it back to college for another 2 years (4 years total!) whereby I'd be entering university at age 21 :frown:

Thanks
According to whatuni, your options are very limited. Maybe you could spend next year taking a couple of your AS' to A2?
Original post by JamesGreenfield
I'm looking to apply for university to start in September 2016 (well, 2015 if they'd let me :smile: ), however I am not sure if my qualifications will be enough to get me in.

My qualifications are:
- BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma PASS first year ONLY. If I am correct, this is equivalent to a pass in a 90 credit diploma, which nets me 60 UCAS points.
- A, B, D at AS level (NOT a2). This equates to 140 UCAS points.

Giving me a total of 200 UCAS points, from pretty much 2 half courses.

I'm not expecting to get into a prestigious university with these qualifications.. I just want to know if it'd be possible. I'm looking at studying business & marketing (have a B at AS level business studies.

Do I have a hope in hell, or is it back to college for another 2 years (4 years total!) whereby I'd be entering university at age 21 :frown:

Thanks

unis usually base offers on A2 or equivalent. you need to complete these or your btec extended diploma or both. many unis give offers on specified grades rather than ucas points
Damn. This puts me in a really difficult situation. The college I did my AS levels at, I left 2 months into the second year. I really doubt they'd let me back in this year, not to mention I really disliked the college anyway.

The college that I did the BTEC in would possibly let me carry on with the course starting from the second year. The problem is that I only achieved a pass in the first year (I put no effort in at all - I didn't want to be at college at this point). This would likely leave me with a maximum achievable grade of MMM, if I were to get DDD in the second year. Is that really going to be good enough to get into university?

I can't do the second year of my a levels at the college I did my BTEC at, as they only offer one of the three courses.

I don't know what to do now. I really regret leaving college - i don't want to be stuck in a low skill/low paying job. I know I can do better than that. I also really would rather not have to start college all over again with a new 2 year course.

Advice welcomed
You'll normally need to complete a level three course (A2s / BTEC).

One thing you could consider is an access to he course, which is a one year college course aimed at mature students.

You could also look at foundation degrees, which often take people with relatively low UCAS point scores.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending