The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

University of Liverpool Official Rep Q&A - Here to help

Hi there and welcome to the official University of Liverpool thread on The Student Room.

We're here to help so if you have any questions you'd like to ask, post them here :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've been accepted at UOL for 2015 intake and have applied for International Business with year industry. I was just wondering how many days I would be in as I don't want to live in Liverpool but rather commute from Manchester. Is it worth commuting or shall I just get accommodation ?
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Reply 2
Original post by usman112
I've been accepted at UOL for 2015 intake and have applied for International Business with year industry. I was just wondering how many days I would be in as I don't want to live in Liverpool but rather commute from Manchester. Is it worth commuting or shall I just get accommodation ?

Hi,

First of all, congratulations on your offer!

The amount of days you will be on campus depends on your timetable, which is released just before the first semester begins. I'll get in touch with the department to see if they can provide an estimate for that course :smile:

I'll be back in touch soon!

Amy
Reply 3
I would really appreciate that.

Thank you
Reply 4
Original post by usman112
I would really appreciate that.

Thank you

Hi there,

I've spoken with the department and they can't give an estimated time at the minute, but they did advise that lectures can take place any time Monday - Friday (9am - 6pm). What we would say is contact hours don’t account for the other things you will need to be on campus for; using University resources such as the library, taking part in group work and handing in work.

Each day will be different so if you were to commute some days you may not be on campus at all, others you may be here all day. There's also the social aspect to think of too, living in halls means you will be around your friends and within walking distance of the city centre. However, if you really don't want to move here then commuting will be fine - choose what is right for you :smile:

Good luck!

Amy
Original post by University of Liverpool
Hi there and welcome to the official University of Liverpool thread on The Student Room.

We're here to help so if you have any questions you'd like to ask, post them here :smile:

Hi, I have got an offer for Maths (BSc and MMath), I am thinking of commuting as well as the other poster. Do you have an idea of a typical "timetable"?

Thanks.
Reply 6
So I will soon, if all goes to plan, graduate from college with a HNC in computing and systems development. My question is as follows:

Do i stand a chance of being accepted onto this course with all standard GCSE's including maths and I.T at a C and a distinction grade HNC ? The units we studied were OOP, EDP, Comp Systems, Software testing etc...

oh and i also graduated a level 4 diploma in management 6 months ago, but i think that's hardly relevant.....

Id only like an idea a to where i stand and what my chances of entry to this or a course similar are....

Many thanks to any one kind enough to reply in advance

Very undecided between Liverpool and UEA uni to study medicine! Any help on the social aspect of Liverpool or accommodation would be very helpful or anything I should know generally! I'm worried by the low student satisfaction from the Liverpool course and also I'm vegan and such a fussy eater and apparently I'm very likely to get catered accommodation which I don't rly feel comfortable with
Reply 8
Original post by randlemcmurphy
Hi, I have got an offer for Maths (BSc and MMath), I am thinking of commuting as well as the other poster. Do you have an idea of a typical "timetable"?

Thanks.

Hi,

Congratulations of your offer, that's great news!

I'll contact the department for you to see if they have an example timetable, I'll get back in touch soon with their reply :smile:.

Amy
Hi,

I'll contact the department for you to see if they have an example timetable, I'll get back in touch soon with their reply :smile:.

Amy

I would rly appreciate it if you were able to do the same for medicine!!
Original post by compjord
So I will soon, if all goes to plan, graduate from college with a HNC in computing and systems development. My question is as follows:

Do i stand a chance of being accepted onto this course with all standard GCSE's including maths and I.T at a C and a distinction grade HNC ? The units we studied were OOP, EDP, Comp Systems, Software testing etc...

oh and i also graduated a level 4 diploma in management 6 months ago, but i think that's hardly relevant.....

Id only like an idea a to where i stand and what my chances of entry to this or a course similar are....

Many thanks to any one kind enough to reply in advance

Hi,

I've forwarded your query on to our Computer Science department, I'll be in touch soon with their reply. In the meantime, have a look our course pages for a list of general entry requirements that we accept :smile:.

Amy
Original post by JMJ_1996
Very undecided between Liverpool and UEA uni to study medicine! Any help on the social aspect of Liverpool or accommodation would be very helpful or anything I should know generally! I'm worried by the low student satisfaction from the Liverpool course and also I'm vegan and such a fussy eater and apparently I'm very likely to get catered accommodation which I don't rly feel comfortable with

Hi,

We have a blogging website, My Liverpool Story, and on there we have a few bloggers from our Medical School who have written about lots of things, including social life at Liverpool and what it is like to study medicine here. You can read their blogs here.

In terms of accommodation, we always do our best to give students their first choice. As you have specific dietary requirements, it's best to contact the accommodation office directly to explain your needs and they will do their very best to ensure you get the right accommodation for you.

I hope this helps, if there's anything else you'd like to ask just let me know :smile:.

Amy
Hi,

We have a blogging website, My Liverpool Story, and on there we have a few bloggers from our Medical School who have written about lots of things, including social life at Liverpool and what it is like to study medicine here. You can read their blogs here.

In terms of accommodation, we always do our best to give students their first choice. As you have specific dietary requirements, it's best to contact the accommodation office directly to explain your needs and they will do their very best to ensure you get the right accommodation for you.

I hope this helps, if there's anything else you'd like to ask just let me know :smile:.

Amy

Thank you so much, the blogs are rly helpful!
Original post by JMJ_1996
I would rly appreciate it if you were able to do the same for medicine!!

Hi,

Sure, I'll email the department :smile:.

As a bit of general information, our Medical degree is a very time intensive 5 year course. Considerable academic study, including self study, is needed to graduate and the school provides this in step with your practical training.

You'll also spend lots of time on placements in local hospitals, particularly in your final years, and this will include both day and night shifts. There's loads of information on our course pages which will give you an idea of what you will be studying each year.

I'll be in touch soon with a reply from the department :smile:.

Amy
(edited 8 years ago)
Thanks very much for your reply amy. Now spoke to the uni and have said their willing to consider me !
Original post by compjord
Thanks very much for your reply amy. Now spoke to the uni and have said their willing to consider me !

That's brilliant news!
Hi,

Amy

Thanks for that :smile:
Original post by randlemcmurphy
Thanks for that :smile:

Hi,

I've spoken with the department and unfortunately they haven't got an example timetable. They did advise that timetables vary in times and days depending on which modules/subjects you choose to study as there are many different modules spread across the week.

I would say that it's worth considering the amount of time you would need to be on campus apart from lectures/seminars - things like using the resources here and group work. It's also worth considering how long your journey would take if you were to commute.

I'm sorry I can't provide you with a more definite answer. If you have any other concerns you can always post here or speak to our friendly enquiries team :smile:.

Amy
Does the university have anywhere students can park, or buy a permit for the academic year? or is it all "Pay and Display"
Reply 19
Hi there :smile:
I am putting Liverpool as my Conditional Firm for Veterinary Medicine, and I am now trying to decide about accommodation. I was wondering whether the sports clubs I am interested in (Rowing, Badminton or Cycling) are run from the main University campus, and if they are, would this make things difficult if I lived off campus at one of the Student Villages? I know something like Rowing requires a lot of training, and I wasn't sure if the buses to the student villages would run at the right times - say for any early morning training etc.
Thank you in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest