The Student Room Group

Top American official blasts Nethanyahu

[h="2"]Rice: Netanyahu’s Congress address destructive to US-Israeli relations[/h]

A top American official has blasted Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu for deciding to address Congress, saying the planned visit is destructive to relations between the US and Israel.

<strong style="box-sizing: border-box;">[video="youtube;L6bKlFOrhEY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6bKlFOrhEY[/video]

President Barack Obama’s National Security Adviser Susan Rice said the decision has “injected a degree of partisanship, which is not only unfortunate, I think it’s destructive of the fabric of the relationship.”She criticized the Israeli leader in an interview with PBS television on Tuesday.

Netanyahu will address a joint meeting of Congress next week in order to put pressure on US officials to stop a comprehensive nuclear agreement between Iran and the five permanent members of the UN Security Council and Germany.On Tuesday, Netanyahu once again defended his trip to Washington, saying he would do everything to prevent a nuclear deal with Iran."It is my obligation as prime minister to do everything that I can to prevent this agreement. Therefore, I will go to Washington... because the American Congress is likely to be the final brake before the agreement," he said.In a strong public rebuke on Tuesday, US Secretary of State John Kerry criticized those officials who are speaking against a potential nuclear agreement.“Anybody running around right now, jumping in to say well we don’t like the deal, or this or that, doesn’t know what the deal is,” Kerry said.Senator: Netanyahu's private meeting refusal 'disappointing'

Democratic Senator Richard Durbin said he is disappointed by Netanyahu after he refused to meet with a number of Democrats in a private session.Two high-ranking Senate Democrats invited Netanyahu for a separate closed-door meeting, but he turned down the request.“We offered the prime minister an opportunity to balance the politically divisive invitation from Speaker [John] Boehner with a private meeting with Democrats who are committed to keeping the bipartisan support of Israel strong,” Durbin said in a statement Tuesday.“His refusal to meet is disappointing to those of us who have stood by Israel for decades,” he added.President Obama, Vice President Joe Biden, and John Kerry would not meet with the Israeli leader during his next month’s trip.A number of Democrats announced that they would skip the controversial speech.Democratic Representatives James Clyburn of South Carolina, Earl Blumenauer of Oregon, John Lewis of Georgia, G.K. Butterfield of North Carolina, and Steve Cohen of Tennessee are among them.
Reply 1
So they should. Netanyahu should not be giving this speech, it is incredibly damaging to the Israeli-American relationship. Frankly Israel's behavior over Iran has been completely counterproductive and is making the situation worse.
Reply 2
Original post by Aj12
So they should. Netanyahu should not be giving this speech, it is incredibly damaging to the Israeli-American relationship. Frankly Israel's behavior over Iran has been completely counterproductive and is making the situation worse.

Peace be with you,

Do you think there's any truth in the quite wide-spread idea that Israel hold a lot of power in US politics?

I highly doubt Iran will ever build a nuclear weapon, when the majority of its inhabitants are shia's , when it's one of the big centre's for ulema and religious scholarship, and in shi'ism it is forbidden to build nuclear arms and weapons.

I know this because i am shia, i know people world wide who follow the rulings of ayatullah khamanei, and i know for certain both him and khomeini would never tolerate nuclear weapons actually used.

Israel know this. But they see an Iran less dependent on fossil-fuels, an Iran stronger economically, and hence it would compromise them.

These are my current views.
Reply 3
Original post by Tawheed
Peace be with you,

Do you think there's any truth in the quite wide-spread idea that Israel hold a lot of power in US politics?

I highly doubt Iran will ever build a nuclear weapon, when the majority of its inhabitants are shia's , when it's one of the big centre's for ulema and religious scholarship, and in shi'ism it is forbidden to build nuclear arms and weapons.

I know this because i am shia, i know people world wide who follow the rulings of ayatullah khamanei, and i know for certain both him and khomeini would never tolerate nuclear weapons actually used.

Israel know this. But they see an Iran less dependent on fossil-fuels, an Iran stronger economically, and hence it would compromise them.

These are my current views.

To a point yes, Israel does have a lot of influence in the United States. Still, that there are even negotiations on going shows just how little that influence can mean at times. The two countries are generally seen as being really close, but there have been plenty of spats over the years and diverging interests.

As for what you have said about nuclear weapons, I don't think they are currently developing an actual bomb. But how they have gone about the program, the secrecy, the labs in bunkers and research into nuclear triggers is very concerning. At the very least I believe they want break out capacity, so able to build a bomb in a number of months.

Frankly despite the religious rulings, faced with a perceived existential threat or facing a severe degradation in its position within the region I could see an Iranian bomb. Given the consequences of such an outcome, the Iranian nuclear program needs to be carefully watched and managed.
Reply 4
Original post by Aj12
To a point yes, Israel does have a lot of influence in the United States. Still, that there are even negotiations on going shows just how little that influence can mean at times. The two countries are generally seen as being really close, but there have been plenty of spats over the years and diverging interests.

As for what you have said about nuclear weapons, I don't think they are currently developing an actual bomb. But how they have gone about the program, the secrecy, the labs in bunkers and research into nuclear triggers is very concerning. At the very least I believe they want break out capacity, so able to build a bomb in a number of months.

Frankly despite the religious rulings, faced with a perceived existential threat or facing a severe degradation in its position within the region I could see an Iranian bomb. Given the consequences of such an outcome, the Iranian nuclear program needs to be carefully watched and managed.

Rationally speaking, even putting side the strong religious imperatives against doing the afforementioned, would Iran honestly use a nuclear weapon when doing so will mean it will be utterly annihilated ?

Iran would destroy it's economy.

It's currently sitting in the or one of the largest oil reserves, it has so much economic potential. Pilgrims and tourism flooding.

Personally, Iran not having alternative safe and renewable energy would strengthen Israel, it would weaken Irans economy.

To address Israel's influence, in the past few decades when we have not had an Obama Administration who are marginally pro-israel anyway, and when we have had staunch republican pro-israel governments, the influence would you say, has clearly been stronger?

Do you feel an incoming republican government will be extremely pro-israel?

I think deep down Obama may be a good man, but he has his hands taken from him, with very little choice in certain matters. That's what politics can do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending