The Student Room Group

Are people who wear glasses weak?

Back in the day, waaaaaay back in the day, cavemen with poor sight would die cos they couldn't hunt.

i think there's something programmed in us that makes us think people with glasses are weaker.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Maybe the nerd stereotype with glasses?
Not sure how much scientific backing this really has.
Clark Kent wears them. He's pretty boss.
You'd have to have REALLY bad eyesight - much worse than 90% people who wear glasses - for it to affect your ability to hunt an animal.
Reply 3
The vast majority don't need to hunt nowadays, with the whole "farming" thing and all that. Glasses are cute.
I think people with glasses are weak... nope, sorry, I meant they have weak eyesight...
Original post by SuperiorityCmplx
Back in the day, waaaaaay back in the day, cavemen with poor sight would die cos they couldn't hunt.

i think there's something programmed in us that makes us think people with glasses are weaker.

And tigers would die in the artic. The environment is everything; additionally cave men did not wear glasses so we aren't hard wired to look at them as a sign of weakness.
Times have changed.

It just means your eye sight isn't good.
I just never understood where the whole "geeky glasses" as a fashion accessory stemmed from. Like the number of people who wear it when they don't even need glasses.

Since when was it fashionable to be visually impaired?!
Glasses wearing is very common in countries with a high percentage of learned and educated people. In my case, I wear glasses due to excessive reading.
Original post by stargirl63
I just never understood where the whole "geeky glasses" as a fashion accessory stemmed from. Like the number of people who wear it when they don't even need glasses.

Since when was it fashionable to be visually impaired?!

I guess it might come from how some people associate/stereotype those with glasses as being more 'intellectual' (silly, I know) and it appeals to them in a way.

It does get annoying though when you see someone flaunting unprescripted 'nerd glasses' ... Like, I wissssh I had perfect eyesight lol.
Most people only use glasses for reading.
I didn't have bad eyesight from the beginning- I had a chicken pox in my left eye, which damaged the surface of its cornea.

I don't mind wearing glasses though, it hides my dark circles :biggrin:
No. I'm a god. :pierre:
You can still hunt with less than average eye sight. It just means that their wall paintings aren't very good.
You think I'm weak? Come at me bro.
Shortsightedness is caused by the eye growing too much (making it slightly too long). This is much more likely to happen if you focus on things close to you for significant periods of time as a child (when your eyes do the most growing), which a person does when reading or using a computer.

I don't see what the above has to do with being strong or weak. Our lifestyle has changed since the days of the caveman.
I wear glasses so no :colonhash:
I wear glasses and i am strong mentally, physically, emotionally.lol. strong strong strong lool so that is so not true, PEOPLE WHO WEAR GLASSES ARE STRONGER THAN MOST after all they have 4 eyes not 2 .looool.
Original post by Mark8346
Shortsightedness is caused by the eye growing too much (making it slightly too long). This is much more likely to happen if you focus on things close to you for significant periods of time as a child (when your eyes do the most growing), which a person does when reading or using a computer.

I don't see what the above has to do with being strong or weak. Our lifestyle has changed since the days of the caveman.

Thats true. to funny

Quick Reply

Latest