The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
randdom
Thats not true, I have been drunk and I just didn't enjoy it. I can understand the appeal of getting tipsy, as my friends seem to enjoy themselves when they do but surely no one can like getting properly drunk?

It seems to me you haven't experienced real drunkenness, because your body won't let you get there without vomitting first.

There is an appeal in drinking for those of us who get wrecked without first vomitting :biggrin:
Reply 61
I totally agree OP. I don't have any particular more fun when drinking, I just feel like a bit of a prat. And when my friends get drunk I generally think they look like prats and wonder why they do it.

What's the attraction in illness and mess and looking a prize fool?

I don't see it.
I don't drink... and Ive challenged/managed to convince two or three friends to go sober for a night. They enjoyed it and it saved them money.. :yy:

2 of them are giving up drinking for good..
Reply 63
One or two units per day is actually proven to be beneficial to one's constitution (particularly with regard to staving off heart disease); so, Carl [1982 iteration], I daresay it's your loss.
Profesh
One or two units per day is actually proven to be beneficial to one's constitution (particularly with regard to staving off heart disease); so, Carl [1982 iteration], I daresay it's your loss.

In more ways than one.
Reply 65
Its great at the beginning of the night there are no fit birds out but by the end of the night their all over the place
Reply 66
ah mate getting wasted is awesome. its all about doing and saying things you wouldn't normally have the courage to do.
i've never had alcohol cos my mum won't let me. lately, for some unknown reason, i've really wanted to go and sit in a pub and have a drink! i dunno why, but i really do. i can't drink though cos i'm on medication :frown: i never used to see the attraction with it and thought that my peers who go out and get drunk were stupid. but now i'm beginning to think that sitting in a pub having a couple of drinks and chatting to people is actually quite sociable and quite relaxing. maybe other people's opinions will change with time. i never expected mine to, but it has!
Anonymous
OK well when i go out with my friends they all rip me because i don't drink but i don't understand why you'd want to go out just to get drunk, whats so great about getting yourself into such a state???? :s-smilie:

Try it. You will then be enlightened.
Reply 69
Anonymous
OK well when i go out with my friends they all rip me because i don't drink but i don't understand why you'd want to go out just to get drunk, whats so great about getting yourself into such a state???? :s-smilie:

I don't drink until I'm out of it, but I do drink with friends and at parties. If you drink just to that tipsy point, it's great, because you're merry, more sociable, find more things funny and you can get much more enjoyment out of the night.
It makes me feel more open and chatty, as I'm quite an introvert.

If I'm drinking at home with parents or my partner, I drink because it makes me giggly and happy, and nothing seems such a task or problem anymore. :smile: It's just good fun.

However, getting plastered until you can't walk and throw up all over your friend's best carpet is not fun. And drinking when depressed usually ends up in me getting more depressed and emotional. So I guess whatever mood you're in will be enhanced by the alcohol, be it happy or sad, or angry. Never ever accept that drink at the party when you're angry with someone there... :rolleyes:
Reply 70
lara400
ah mate getting wasted is awesome. its all about doing and saying things you wouldn't normally have the courage to do.

That's all such *******s. It's a placebo effect. Getting drunk just gives you an excuse to say things that you WANT to say whether you're sober or not.

You're just a coward when you're sober, that's all that proves. You're afraid to say things unless the next morning you can pretend you didn't mean them.
Reply 71
The first time I got totally hammered I fell down a flight of steps. The second time was in Slovakia and when we were pissing on a restaurant wall, then a mafia boss came out with a gun, pointed it at my brothers head (who was the Stag), and then we got chased down the Danube banks by Porsches.

I therefore don’t trust myself with my health getting hammered anymore, so I just get pissed, plus I get ****ing killer hangovers if I drink too much.

Merry is probably the best way to be, but being on the pissed side of merry isn’t all that bad either. Being so drunk that you’re incapacitated is just a waste of money and you can’t enjoy your altered state of consciousness and cant say stupid things that seem so incredibly funny.

I think widespread drinking is more 'the done thing' than anything. If there wasn’t a social pressure to get pissed and people made informed decisions, free of any external subjectivity, I’d say many, many people wouldn’t actually drink.
I don't drink... and Ive challenged/managed to convince two or three friends to go sober for a night. They enjoyed it and it saved them money..

2 of them are giving up drinking for good..

What are us people that drink cos we like the taste of the drinks meant to do?
Reply 73
randdom
I have drunk more than that, most memorably would be my 17th birthday. After that experiance I tried to see how much I could get away with and the answer it not very much if any. It wasn't just smirnoff ice either as that was just an example.

As was mentioned by someone else, if what you said before is true then you probably have an allergy to alcohol. I doubt you'll ever be able to see the appeal.
Profesh

Well i don't think it is my loss, and you will never ever change me thank you.
I don't see the "fun" in getting drunk either. What's fun about losing control over what you're doing, passing out and then not remembering what happened the night before? Joyous.
Carl1982
Well i don't think it is my loss, and you will never ever change me thank you.

I'm sure you don't. However, having never been drunk nor having anything equivalent to compare it with, you are speaking from a position of complete ignorance. It is equivalent to a virgin saying they don't think it's their loss not having sex, or a blind man saying he doesn't think it's his loss by not being able to see.
hannah_dru
I don't see the "fun" in getting drunk either. What's fun about losing control over what you're doing, passing out and then not remembering what happened the night before? Joyous.

How about the actual feeling of being drunk, being more relaxed, dancing without a care, finding things funnier, having more fun with your friends, etc? That's pretty damn good fun.
Eblis_O'_Shaughnessy
I'm sure you don't. However, having never been drunk nor having anything equivalent to compare it with, you are speaking from a position of complete ignorance. It is equivalent to a virgin saying they don't think it's their loss not having sex, or a blind man saying he doesn't think it's his loss by not being able to see.

How about the actual feeling of being drunk, being more relaxed, dancing without a care, finding things funnier, having more fun with your friends, etc? That's pretty damn good fun.

Hmm, but usually drunken fun is having fun over something that isn't even funny. And involves falling over a lot.
Plus, there's the hangover the next morning.
hannah_dru
Hmm, but usually drunken fun is having fun over something that isn't even funny. And involves falling over a lot.
Plus, there's the hangover the next morning.

Just because you don't think it's funny doesn't mean it's not. Clearly the people involved think it's funny or they wouldn't be laughing. I happen to find Jimmy Carr about as funny as lung cancer, but the fact that so many people enjoy his comedy means that to some extent he must be funny.

As for the hangover, that's a price you pay for having a good time. Like getting bruises after going paintballing.
lara400

Thats a reason NOT to drink surly?? if you wouldn't do it in full conciousness then obviously your morals tell you you shouldn't do it

Latest

Trending

Trending