The Student Room Group
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website

University of Essex or University of Brighton?

I have interviews for both (Brighton tomorrow) and I want to know the pro's and con's of both Uni's. I'm applying to study philosophy and politics.
Reply 1
I study Literature at Essex, and did look at Brighton beforehand. I actually thought Brighton would be the university for me, but after my visit day I realised it wasn't. I didn't like how the university didn't actually have much going on. When I asked them about clubs and societies they said they were all based in town. However, Brighton is obviously a very attractive place, and I think if you're someone who's looking for a great location then Brighton might be more for you.
What attracted me to Essex however, was genuinely the feel of the place. There is always so much going on, whether it's market day, fundraising week or clubs trying to recruit you. The campus is based on squares, all interlinking. This means rain or shine, people are always hanging around after classes chatting to friends. The SU is also really active, they have services such as Student lets (so second and third years can find housing for free), restaurants (student prices, yay), a nightclub (which is probably one of the best i've been to), coffee shops, beauticians, counselling services, etc etc.
My best friend goes to Brighton and she is having a great time, but I think she's enjoying the freedom of living with 9 other people and living in brighton. Where as for me, I think I enjoy the university experience more. I work on campus, am social sec for a club, do peer mentioning... all things to add to the CV which Essex encouraged.
Housing is also an issue at Brighton, i think it's something like 40% of students are guaranteed campus accommodation. Whereas, Essex all first years are.
Essex also has a really good political background with clubs you can join and protests to partake in. The university also organise TEDtalks, where they get controversial figures in to discuss their point of view, and then students are allowed to ask and debate with them about it. I haven't been to one yet, but i'm told the turn outs are always pretty big and it's something different to do on your Tuesday evening.
Anyway, i'm pretty biased obviously going to Essex university. I would just say look around both universities and think about what it is that you want to gain from university. Do you want a great location? Or do you want to live on a campus where you're surrounded by students?
Hope that's some help and good luck with your interviews :smile:
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website
Hi Paige. I too have an unconditional offer from both Universities and am struggling to decide between the two.

As the previous post said, Brighton is more of a City University and ESSEX is more of a well enclosed Student Area on site at the university

Have you been to visit either? Can you give me any advice?

Also look into the prices. Onsite accommodation at Essex is as cheap as £80 per week, whereas Brighton is at least £120.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by lewif002
Hi Paige. I too have an unconditional offer from both Universities and am struggling to decide between the two.

As the previous post said, Brighton is more of a City University and ESSEX is more of a well enclosed Student Area on site at the university

Have you been to visit either? Can you give me any advice?

Also look into the prices. Onsite accommodation at Essex is as cheap as £80 per week, whereas Brighton is at least £120.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've been to both, and since both of my interviews I've decided Essex hands down. I have unconditional offers for both now but Essex is my firm choice, the general feel around campus is great and I love how its all based around little squares. My Brighton interview didn't go too well, and I felt like at Brighton they were trying to push me away from the university, but I've been to Essex twice and loved it both times, and my interview went really well. Also the low prices for accommodation just seal the deal! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Gover18
I study Literature at Essex, and did look at Brighton beforehand. I actually thought Brighton would be the university for me, but after my visit day I realised it wasn't. I didn't like how the university didn't actually have much going on. When I asked them about clubs and societies they said they were all based in town. However, Brighton is obviously a very attractive place, and I think if you're someone who's looking for a great location then Brighton might be more for you.
What attracted me to Essex however, was genuinely the feel of the place. There is always so much going on, whether it's market day, fundraising week or clubs trying to recruit you. The campus is based on squares, all interlinking. This means rain or shine, people are always hanging around after classes chatting to friends. The SU is also really active, they have services such as Student lets (so second and third years can find housing for free), restaurants (student prices, yay), a nightclub (which is probably one of the best i've been to), coffee shops, beauticians, counselling services, etc etc.
My best friend goes to Brighton and she is having a great time, but I think she's enjoying the freedom of living with 9 other people and living in brighton. Where as for me, I think I enjoy the university experience more. I work on campus, am social sec for a club, do peer mentioning... all things to add to the CV which Essex encouraged.
Housing is also an issue at Brighton, i think it's something like 40% of students are guaranteed campus accommodation. Whereas, Essex all first years are.
Essex also has a really good political background with clubs you can join and protests to partake in. The university also organise TEDtalks, where they get controversial figures in to discuss their point of view, and then students are allowed to ask and debate with them about it. I haven't been to one yet, but i'm told the turn outs are always pretty big and it's something different to do on your Tuesday evening.
Anyway, i'm pretty biased obviously going to Essex university. I would just say look around both universities and think about what it is that you want to gain from university. Do you want a great location? Or do you want to live on a campus where you're surrounded by students?
Hope that's some help and good luck with your interviews :smile:

Thanks for your help! My Essex interview went really well. I'm Essex all the way, just hoping to get the results I need. I'm so excited to be able to go to Essex, its definitely the clear winner :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending