The Student Room Group

Gold d of e fitness

I am doing gold d of e in a few months and the leaders recommended that everyone undertake a fitness regeem to improve core strength and ankles. Has anyone done it that can recommend anything that worked or how they prepared for the bag!!! Thanks :smile: :smile::wink:
Reply 1
I did mt Gold DofE last year, it was a fantastic few days. To make sure you are prepared, walk in your walking boots a few times before you actually set off and maybe due a few short walks with a heavy rucksack. If you pack only the essentials it shouldn't be too heavy. In terms of physical fitness swimming and rowing are good forms of exercise as they give you a full body workout
Original post by hann4h
I am doing gold d of e in a few months and the leaders recommended that everyone undertake a fitness regeem to improve core strength and ankles. Has anyone done it that can recommend anything that worked or how they prepared for the bag!!! Thanks :smile: :smile::wink:

Well, I did Bronze and Silver before I started on my Gold, so I was used to carrying all my stuff before I set off.

As the other Annie says, make sure your boots are broken in and don't take any unnecessary items. Only pack the stuff that's on your kit list and don't take any extras. Also, make sure you split the weight of the group kit evenly with the rest of your team - that includes tents and stoves.

Make sure to bring plenty of blister plasters with you and make sure your boots are high enough to provide good ankle support.

I would also say make sure you consume enough calories when you're out on your DofE, I didn't and I felt rotten the whole time. :frown: And yes, go out on some day walks to practice with the bag - although I believe you should do some expedition training before you set off which should help.

Best of luck!

EDIT: I've just realised how long ago this post was written. Hope your DofE went well!
(edited 8 years ago)
I've not done a d of e but have done a few 60-80 milers over two days with wild camp overnight so my advice would be to just do a lot of walking with your full kit beforehand. Start a decent gym circuit, but try to stay lean and bulk will just slow you down.

And remember to eat plenty of calories, on a big yomp ill normally consume about 4000 calories a day
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest