The Student Room Group

Architecture (Applying post-Alevel question)

Hello!

Currently I am reconsidering my option of Fine Art to instead reapply for Architecture next year. My open question to anyone who wants to give their viewpoint or even personal experience is...

Would doing a foundation degree in Art and Design disadvantage my application to study Architecture? I plan to do that next year and was curious?

I plan to apply for the likes of Cambridge, Bath and UCL... I guess what I am interested in is if many people who apply post-a level receive positive news from these places. Please share any viewpoint you have as it will be much appreciated. :smile:
In my personal opinion not enough people do an Art Foundation these days. It gives you a chance to build a really diverse portfolio, to try out things you'd never have done otherwise and means you start University a year more mature, already used to the studio system, crits/reviews and managing your own time. All that said, you have to do your homework about the courses you're applying to. The Bartlett (UCL) are very strict about A'level Art requirement (according to the posts on TSR) and Bath have a reputation for being more maths/engineering/pragmatic than arty. All Architecture courses receive far more applicants than places, but the one's you've listed will be amongst the most competitive to get in to.
Reply 2
Original post by SebastianMesser
In my personal opinion not enough people do an Art Foundation these days. It gives you a chance to build a really diverse portfolio, to try out things you'd never have done otherwise and means you start University a year more mature, already used to the studio system, crits/reviews and managing your own time. All that said, you have to do your homework about the courses you're applying to. The Bartlett (UCL) are very strict about A'level Art requirement (according to the posts on TSR) and Bath have a reputation for being more maths/engineering/pragmatic than arty. All Architecture courses receive far more applicants than places, but the one's you've listed will be amongst the most competitive to get in to.

Thanks for the reply! Well my current A-Levels are in Art, Maths, Geography and doing General Studies as my sixth form requires to do the full A-Level in a year... and I have an AS in Business Studies. Would you think that the universities who focus less on design are more likely to reject me because of the foundation year?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending