The Student Room Group

NCS Summer Work

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Star Light
They have application deadlines in waves - check the website for the next one, sooner is better though.
You can choose to apply for multiple roles, and if you get assessed, they choose which job would best suit you, even if you didn't originally apply for it, so you might as well apply for all the roles you wouldn't mind doing. Voluntary experience seems to go down very well with them, so milk that as much as you can.

The assessment day has 30-40 applicants at it, split into groups of 10-12. You get assessed by different assessors, doing different tasks. Some tasks are group work: planning a social action project and presenting it, role-playing challenging situations you might encounter, other stuff probably. Individual work includes telling your group about a charity visit they'll be doing but keeping them interested, running an activity whilst people misbehave, presenting a pre-planned icebreaker activity, and things I can't remember.
There are also group discussions where a question is asked and people take turns answering. The questions are about why you want to work with NCS, situations you might encounter, how young people benefit, stuff like that.

Or it might be totally different outside of Manchester for all I know!

What kind of icebreakers did people do? What kind of thing are they looking for exactly? :smile:
Original post by HellyR
What kind of icebreakers did people do? What kind of thing are they looking for exactly? :smile:

I can't say if they're asking for icebreakers in this year's application cycle or your location, but general advice for presenting icebreakers:

-Keep it simple, it's only going to be done the once, and explanation time should be minimal.
-Don't rely on props - you can throw around keys or a ball to prompt people to speak, but the icebreaker shouldn't revolve around a physical game (unless you have an awesome fun icebreaker which does!)
-Talking based icebreakers are the best, ones which could be used in a group-of-young-people situation, such as getting them to talk to each other when meeting, or getting them to brainstorm, or getting them to explore feelings about something, or use a particular interpersonal skill.
-Whatever icebreaker you go for, be completely 100% confident in explaining and leading it - if you're telling others to act like an animal, then you do your completely over the top kangaroo impression.
-If it's not working, spice it up, add a new dimension or encourage people.

Some examples - getting people to unravel a human knot (teamwork/problem solving), learning as many facts as they can about each other (first meeting), moo-off (noisiest team wins, energiser).
Basically it doesn't matter what you do, it's your style of delivery that matters. The point of asking applicants to prepare icebreakers is so they think about delivery, and you can start off the assessment on their terms, to ease applicants in and make them feel comfortable and in control before you move onto unknown tasks. It's not a massive deal, just lead it naturally. They're certainly not judging you on the 'quality' of the icebreaker itself - it's not a competition.

Best of luck!
I can't say if they're asking for icebreakers in this year's application cycle or your location, but general advice for presenting icebreakers:

-Keep it simple, it's only going to be done the once, and explanation time should be minimal.
-Don't rely on props - you can throw around keys or a ball to prompt people to speak, but the icebreaker shouldn't revolve around a physical game (unless you have an awesome fun icebreaker which does!)
-Talking based icebreakers are the best, ones which could be used in a group-of-young-people situation, such as getting them to talk to each other when meeting, or getting them to brainstorm, or getting them to explore feelings about something, or use a particular interpersonal skill.
-Whatever icebreaker you go for, be completely 100% confident in explaining and leading it - if you're telling others to act like an animal, then you do your completely over the top kangaroo impression.

Some examples - getting people to unravel a human knot (teamwork/problem solving), learning as many facts as they can about each other (first meeting), moo-off (noisiest team wins, energiser).
Basically it doesn't matter what you do, it's your style of delivery that matters. The point of asking applicants to prepare icebreakers is so they think about delivery, and you can start off the assessment on their terms, to ease applicants in and make them feel comfortable and in control before you move onto unknown tasks. It's not a massive deal, just lead it naturally. They're certainly not judging you on the 'quality' of the icebreaker itself - it's not a competition.

Best of luck!

This was very helpful. I have an assessment tomorrow.

Not worried as I do a lot of youth work as well as being an Associate Mentor with NCS before. Delivery and explanation is key. If there's questions after you've explained it. You know it didn't go well.
Hi all, I have a PRACTITIONER assessment coming up anyone had one in the past would be helpful to know what is coming
Original post by TheSammy2010
This was very helpful. I have an assessment tomorrow.

Not worried as I do a lot of youth work as well as being an Associate Mentor with NCS before. Delivery and explanation is key. If there's questions after you've explained it. You know it didn't go well.

Hi all, I have a PRACTITIONER assessment coming up anyone had one in the past would be helpful to know what is coming

Best of luck!

Best of luck!

what happens and any pointers on how to prep for it... i have to make a 5 min presentation and am not sure what I should do...?
Original post by madiqadeer

Tips I could give.

It's quite informal. As you know from the email it will be group work. I'd say that times goes fairly quickly.

As a practitioner, I'd make sure you know your role and when planning your pitch or whatever, be aware that you will be talking to teenagers. I did the challenge myself 2 years ago so I knew exactly what the assessors want to hear. Make sure you read the email thoroughly. I didn't exactly read it and I had to wing it on the day. It's a good thing I have to wing that kind of thing usually so I got away with it without them noticing. But my background with similar roles does help me with that.

I believe you need to also prepare an ice breaker so have a good one ready. You'll only have about 3 minutes to explain and then carry out.

Best tip is to have the age-range of 16-17 year olds in mind. Don't be patronising but of course, try to explain things that you think they might not know. Try to interact with the other people in the group you are doing the assessment with.
Anybody else going for assessment session tomorrow morning in Waterloo? Or went today and has any tips? Rather nervous!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anna-Jack-Hope
Anybody else going for assessment session tomorrow morning in Waterloo? Or went today and has any tips? Rather nervous!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't get too nervous, and don't show any negative behaviour (sarcasm, blaming others in groups, putting down ideas) at all.

This is an opportunity to show your fun, creative side so don't hold back - it's far better to be 'over-keen' (you can't really be over-keen though) than under-keen. They want staff who are going to work well with the kids and each other (assuming you're going for a delivery role) so be confident but not overbearing, be positive, try to have fun in your tasks.
Don't get too nervous, and don't show any negative behaviour (sarcasm, blaming others in groups, putting down ideas) at all.

This is an opportunity to show your fun, creative side so don't hold back - it's far better to be 'over-keen' (you can't really be over-keen though) than under-keen. They want staff who are going to work well with the kids and each other (assuming you're going for a delivery role) so be confident but not overbearing, be positive, try to have fun in your tasks.

Thanks :smile: my only issue with that will be sarcasm I think, the kids I've been working with the past couple of years are a very sarcastic bunch so it'll be getting that out of my system! Think the rest will be fairly okay once I get over the nerves of being there.
Original post by Anna-Jack-Hope
Thanks :smile: my only issue with that will be sarcasm I think, the kids I've been working with the past couple of years are a very sarcastic bunch so it'll be getting that out of my system! Think the rest will be fairly okay once I get over the nerves of being there.

Couple of things I forgot to mention - there are typically scenario-based assessment questions, e.g., what if a kid feels homesick, what if someone's grandmother dies, what if they don't get on with their team, so think about solutions to those kinds of questions.

Another common question for them is to give you some information on a trip you might be doing on the program, eg, visiting a community charity, and you have 1 minute to make it sound interesting to the team you're leading.

There is no limit on how fun and creative you can be, you might want to make a flipchart speech about something, or you could sing a song you made or jump around and act or whatever makes it more interesting!
Reply 31
I have a support worker assessment on Saturday. My friend had hers last Saturday and helped me out a bit but I don't know if they will be different as a lot of the tasks people are talking about on here are different to what she did! Anyone else done a support worker assessment? Thank you so much for any help :smile:
Reply 32
I have the same assessment too in Waterloo. I've seen a lot of mixed reviews on the assessments itself but I was randomly curious about what the dress code is on the day. Is it more or less casual? I'm looking forward to the experience of the day whether I get it or not
Original post by s.wil
I have the same assessment too in Waterloo. I've seen a lot of mixed reviews on the assessments itself but I was randomly curious about what the dress code is on the day. Is it more or less casual? I'm looking forward to the experience of the day whether I get it or not

People today were in everything from denim and tracksuit to shirt and tie. Not that that will help in any sense, for the record I was in smart trousers, blouse and jumper (female) which was pretty in the middle. Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Did anyone be on residental mentor/ programme administrator assesment? What do they require on assesments? Maybe someone going to assesment at 15th March in Waterloo Office?:smile:
What about Camp Beaumont or one of those types of holiday jobs>
Reply 36
Just wondering if anyone has had a practitioner assessment? I've got mine tomorrow after only getting the email inviting me today! I've come up with a little photography workshop which is what they've asked us to prepare but I read someone saying that a couple of years ago practitioners also had to deliver an icebreaker - is this true?
Anything else I should be prepared for in a practitioner assessment?Thanks!
Reply 37
Original post by Sophiavl
I have a support worker assessment on Saturday. My friend had hers last Saturday and helped me out a bit but I don't know if they will be different as a lot of the tasks people are talking about on here are different to what she did! Anyone else done a support worker assessment? Thank you so much for any help :smile:

What was your support worker assessment like in the end? I have one on Wednesday and just want to get an idea of what it will be like. Thanks!
hope you got the role :smile:
Any tips for the residential mentor assessment? :smile: I may have one in two weeks (although the alternative dates form is being a bit of a pain).

Best of luck!

Guys I have a Residential Mentor/Programme Administrator Assessment very soon. Any advice specific to this assessment, any one done it before?? I'm expecting "physical activities" but what types?
I would really appreciate some guidance and advice!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending