The Student Room Group

What's the definition of 'I love you'?

In a clubbing, my flatmate, who we know almost six months, said 'I love you, Oliver' to me. Im 100% sure she didn't drink, she just said these words to me without any sign. I thought it was just a way of having fun between friends so I didn't thinks it seriously and just reply 'I love you too'.

Do people say 'I love you' just for fun or something like 'hello'? Or it does have the meaning of affection between boys and girls?

Frankly it confuses me. its so weird. its not the first time i met this situation. once i just met a girl in my flat and she said the same words to me 'oliver i love you' but i did not know her very much. so i reply nothing just regarded it as a kind way of saying 'hello'

So, what's the real definition of 'I love you'

Will girls say it casually to a male friend?
I use "I love you" as a kind of way to say "omg ur so awesome and what you just said just made me love your personality even more" and I do use it loosely with both male friends and my girlfriends. But when I say it properly, it will mean that I am "in love" with that person feelings wise and emotionally wise. But this is only my perspective of it.
She probably just had an oxytocin rush.
Reply 3
Depends on how you say it. Nowadays people say it all the time during any situation or at any time. But there is a big difference between 'love you man! Ha' and *cliché stare into the eyes* 'I love you, I love you so much...' So yeah really depends on the context.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by oliver377
Will girls say it casually to a male friend?

Yes. Girls can be very emotionally manipulative.
Reply 5
Original post by xylas
Yes. Girls can be very emotionally manipulative.

so she does have affection for me?

I think she meant it in a friendly way if im honest :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
To the majority of people it seems to mean 'I have a mild infatuation' with you or similar.
(edited 9 years ago)
I think our society places so much emphasis on those three words. Those words have different meanings depending on the context. You could put a plate of cheese back in the fridge and your flatmate could tell you, "Thanks, dude. I love you, buddy." I wouldn't think this flatmate's in love with you. The word love has a lot of value for some people and for others it doesn't. You hear a lot of people saying things like, "I love your shirt," and "Oh I love that." Commonly the, "I love you" phase is said when someone decides to declare their love for someone. For many people, saying "I love you" does not have much value and is synonymous with saying, "You're cool." If you told us more of the story, then we could all tell you what these girl actually meant. :smile:
Reply 9

More like a current obsession.
uh i guess it depends what the situation is...

i tell all my girlfriends i love them but it's platonic

i tell my boyfriend i love him which is evidently intimate

and if i tell guy friends i love them it's also purely platonic

i think if you have no sexual tension , there's no reason to think it isn't just platonic love
Reply 11
Only say it if you mean it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Some people say it, not in terms of romantic love, but just as some term of endearment. I personally would never say it to anyone other than a hypothetical partner or my immediate family.
Reply 13
It depends on context but there is a certain class of sentimental drinker/drug taker who like to declare their love for everything: friends, family, strangers, cities, football clubs, horses that win, kebabs etc.
Reply 14
You don't have a cat called Oliver do you?

Quick Reply

Latest