The Student Room Group

Would you support a rise in tuition fees?

Some people argue that it's fair that the students themselves pay for their education, and not the taxpayers. As you know, the tuition fees are still a lot more for international students. Would you support a rise in tuition fees so that the tuition for British/EU students is 70-80 percent of the tuition the international students pay? What about equal tuition fees? You still have the advantage that you can get a loan from your government. Furthermore, taxpayers pay less for you education.

For comparison of the fees, here are the numbers from UCL:
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/fees-funding/tuition-fees/uk-eu
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/fees-funding/tuition-fees/overseas

I'm asking out of curiosity. I'm not affected. It's not that I'm arguing for a rise or something. It's just a natural question for people who don't support a fall.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Do you...do you think people are going to reply...that they want to double....double their student loans? What exactly are you expecting...?
Wouldn't you love to pay for exactly the same thing?
If someone thinks the students should pay a higher portion of their education, why would they support 9k over 6k/3k, but not 11k over 9k tuitions?
Original post by piotr.irving
Wouldn't you love to pay for exactly the same thing?

:confused:
I'm not an undergrad student.
After seeing threads about Labour wanting to lower the tuitions and some people disagreeing, I thought if you want the student to pay a higher portion, why not 11k for example or more?
As an EU student currently I get the privilage of paying no more than £9,000 for any university I choose. What I want is for that number never to go up, I don't mind however if it falls.
That is my take on it.
You're kidding me right? Look let's be honest, I don't care what anyone says, for most people uni is necessary to get a decent job. It's bad enough that'll cost me 30k let alone more; that's without maintenance loans as well.
Original post by piotr.irving
As an EU student currently I get the privilage of paying no more than £9,000 for any university I choose. What I want is for that number never to go up, I don't mind however if it falls.
That is my take on it.

Then you don't fit in the category of those people.
It's not that I'm arguing for a rise or something. It's just a natural question for people who don't support a fall.
Original post by EllieC130
You're kidding me right? Look let's be honest, I don't care what anyone says, for most people uni is necessary to get a decent job. It's bad enough that'll cost me 30k let alone more; that's without maintenance loans as well.

I agree.
Original post by EllieC130

then see post #8
Well seeing as the government pays around £7k a year of our fees ( the average cost of running a degree programme is 16k a year) I think we probably should pay more. When should acctualy cover the costs. Therr should also be a more agggresive loans repayment system to insure all/ note loans are paid back. I think it would acctualy make people think twice about taking one of those media degrees!
Original post by IWantToBeThere
Then you don't fit in the category of those people.
It's not that I'm arguing for a rise or something. It's just a natural question for people who don't support a fall.

I don't understand why you wouldn't support s fall? I mean unless you have oniomania I don't understand the issue with saving yourself money.
Original post by Zachary T-H
Well seeing as the government pays around £7k a year of our fees ( the average cost of running a degree programme is 16k a year) I think we probably should pay more. When should acctualy cover the costs. Therr should also be a more agggresive loans repayment system to insure all/ note loans are paid back. I think it would acctualy make people think twice about taking one of those media degrees!

So you're the first person to support a rise! I wonder if some people think this thread is a troll.

Each student costs the taxpayer £250,000 to put through medical school - extract from the Telegraph Newspaper

Should medical students also cover their full costs of training? If so I am certain that you will see very few doctors graduating.
I would also like to add that by increasing the costs you will decrease the number of people that will be able to study, and further the gap between the rich and the poor.
This must be a troll thread. Surely.

I can't fathom someone asking such a stupid question
Original post by Basilla
Do you...do you think people are going to reply...that they want to double....double their student loans? What exactly are you expecting...?

see posts #4,5
I think it's a legitimate question.

Your theory makes no sense. What about those of us doing vocational degrees and NOT doing Mickey Mouse degrees?! Contrary to your B.S law, medicine and engineering students still exist!
Original post by PrincessAlexis
This must be a troll thread. Surely.

I can't fathom someone asking such a stupid question

I didn't expect it to be called a troll thread, but seemingly it comes across as such to some people.
Given some people who don't support a fall in tuition fees, I think it's a legitimate question.
Original post by IWantToBeThere
I didn't expect it to be called a troll thread, but seemingly it comes across as such to some people.
Given some people who don't support a fall in tuition fees, I think it's a legitimate question.

They don't support labour.

I assure you if Cameron said it they'd feel differently.

As a US citizen who lives in the UK have you seen the data on the number of suicides linked to their aggressive student loans system ?!

How could anyone fight for us to have something which they are campaigning against ?!

Because America does something doesn't make it right!

Have you had interactions with Sallie Mae?! My older sister almost was driven to prostitution when she lost her job and they were calling her ten times a day.

If you knew anything about the USA student loan system you wouldn't recommend it.

People in the USA are fighting against it so it does seem trolling that something which is affecting so many people over there is what you are recommending ....
Original post by PrincessAlexis
They don't support labour.

I assure you if Cameron said it they'd feel differently.

As a US citizen who lives in the UK have you seen the data on the number of suicides linked to their aggressive student loans system ?!

How could anyone fight for us to have something which they are campaigning against ?!

Because America does something doesn't make it right!

Have you had interactions with Sallie Mae?! My older sister almost was driven to prostitution when she lost her job and they were calling her ten times a day.

If you knew anything about the USA student loan system you wouldn't recommend it.

People in the USA are fighting against it so it does seem trolling that something which is affecting so many people over there is what you are recommending ....

As I made it clear in my OP, I'm not supporting a rise. [It doesn't affect me either way tbh. I'm going to start grad school, and I won't accept any offer which is not funded.]
I'm not sure about your first claim, but I really think there are people who would support a rise in tuition (and maybe less tax). As I said if one supports 9k over 6k/3k, why not 12k/15k over 9k?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending