The Student Room Group

Do you hold the door open for people behind/infront of you?

I always do :colondollar:.

In London though it's rare someone has the politeness to do so as pretty much everyone is up their own arse. Today for example when walking into a shop another young man opened the door and didn't hold it for this grandmother who he obviously saw which really pissed me off :angry:.

Do you?

Scroll to see replies

Yes I do. Sometimes I look like an idiot if I think someone's coming in the direction of the door, but they make a last minute judgement and go somewhere else :tongue:
Reply 2
Yes, but only if they are near enough so it isn't awkward.
Yeah, I do. I do find it incredibly rude if people don't, whether they be a man or a woman. All the expectations of just a male doing it to be a 'gentleman' is nonsense. Everybody should be polite.
Always, people in London have got progressively worse in recent years with there manners, it's almost like being in American city's now. I can't stand it!!
Original post by Arkasia

So awkward when you do it and they're walking slow or something and you look stupid :angry:

But yeah I often do it, it's just...polite. And I thank people if they do it for me.
Yes, if they are close enough or walking fast enough to reach the door without me spending ages holding the door :tongue: If the person is old then I will hold it and wait for them
Yes, always. It's the polite thing to do.
Yeah all the time
Reply 9
Original post by Precious Illusions
So awkward when you do it and they're walking slow or something and you look stupid :angry:

But yeah I often do it, it's just...polite. And I thank people if they do it for me.

Walking slowly? Try them changing direction at the last minute and walking away.
Original post by Zachary T-H
Always, people in London have got progressively worse in recent years with there manners, it's almost like being in American city's now. I can't stand it!!

Weird comparison. I thought Americans were supposed to be friendly :s
I hold the door open, and as they almost reach the door I let it shut in their face.

Then I flick the bird through the vision panel and swag off
Yeah I always do that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
yes, I then ask them if I've earned enough Nice Guy tokens for sex
I always do. It is just common courtesy.
Original post by Arkasia

This.

I once got told off by a teacher for going to open a door. I was walking with two friends and they approached the door and another student approached from the other direction and they all just stopped. Me 'barging' past by friends was unacceptable when if I hadn't moved to open it then we would all still be standing there 6 years later. :unimpressed:
Yep :h:
Often. Depends on how far away they are. It's nice to be nice, but I also don't want to make somebody awkwardly rush to the door if they're several steps away, but I also don't want to leave through the door and have it close in their face as they arrive. It's a daily dilemma
I wait for people to do it to me and then I just stand there for the lols.
Depends. If they're carrying a lot of things, have a pushchair, are old (and frail) or disabled/injured etc. These people might need your help with the door.

If someone is directly behind me I'll hold it so it doesn't slam in their face. But I don't go out the way to hold doors if I think they're capable of doing it themselves. I don't really get it.

Quick Reply

Latest