The Student Room Group

Reputation V Location

Would you rather choose a university with better reputation and prestige or a university that is better located?
(edited 9 years ago)
Neither. I would choose based on the course and what modules are offered.
Reply 2
I get your point :smile:
Location, modules then reputation in that order. If you hate the location you're not going to do well in the modules. Rep is not that important, go where you think you'll be happy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by yabbayabba
Location, modules then reputation in that order. If you hate the location you're not going to do well in the modules. Rep is not that important, go where you think you'll be happy

Posted from TSR Mobile

Interesting order... Repped!
Reply 5
If the difference in reputation is marginal, then definitely location. You have to be happy where you are, as you're gonna be living there for three years :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by mimbluu
If the difference in reputation is marginal, then definitely location. You have to be happy where you are, as you're gonna be living there for three years :smile:

Yup, I'm definitely going to be choosing location over rep as you suggested.
Which two unis are you actually comparing? Your original question is one that ignores all the nuances associated with these things.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Origami Bullets
Which two unis are you actually comparing? Your original question is one that ignores all the nuances associated with these things.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, to be honest It's Warwick (BA Law and Business - 4 Years) or Cass (Bsc. Management) / Soas (LLB). Warwick has a nice reputation in the Business department, however both Cass and SOAS are located in London which is a world of its own.

Anyhow I've decided to go with either SOAS or Cass depending on which course I choose. Both have interesting modules and especially Cass gives me the opportunity to do a placement year, which is missing in the Warwick degree despite is world renowned reputation.

It would still be nice to know what you think.
Original post by simplyfaiq
Well, to be honest It's Warwick (BA Law and Business - 4 Years) or Cass (Bsc. Management) / Soas (LLB). Warwick has a nice reputation in the Business department, however both Cass and SOAS are located in London which is a world of its own.

Anyhow I've decided to go with either SOAS or Cass depending on which course I choose. Both have interesting modules and especially Cass gives me the opportunity to do a placement year, which is missing in the Warwick degree despite is world renowned reputation.

It would still be nice to know what you think.

Lol I'm actually in a good position to advise - I go to Warwick uni and I'm from London. You've made the right decision, if I were you assuming the modules at SOAS and Cass are similar, I'd go with Cass. 4 Years in Coventry/West Midlands will get dull, trust me - it's a long time to spend in a boring place. Go to London, you'll have more fun, which will mean you'll do better in your degree! :smile:
Reply 10
Lol I'm actually in a good position to advise - I go to Warwick uni and I'm from London. You've made the right decision, if I were you assuming the modules at SOAS and Cass are similar, I'd go with Cass. 4 Years in Coventry/West Midlands will get dull, trust me - it's a long time to spend in a boring place. Go to London, you'll have more fun, which will mean you'll do better in your degree! :smile:

Your comment made my day :smile: Thank you very much for your input. I appreciate it! :biggrin:

P.S. I can't rep you again before repping other members otherwise I would have done so long ago! :colone:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by simplyfaiq
Your comment made my day :smile: Thank you very much for your input. I appreciate it! :biggrin:

P.S. I can't rep you again before repping other members otherwise I would have done so long ago! :colone:

No worries, to be honest if I could redo UCAS again in hindsight I wouldn't have picked Warwick as I'm very much a city person, something I've only just realised having lived in such a boring place haha. I found it ok for two years, but 4 years here would be way too much! There's endless amounts of things to do in London to keep you occupied and amused, however. I'm very much looking forward to moving back to London after I graduate. Good luck with the rest of UCAS :smile:
Reply 12
No worries, to be honest if I could redo UCAS again in hindsight I wouldn't have picked Warwick as I'm very much a city person, something I've only just realised having lived in such a boring place haha. I found it ok for two years, but 4 years here would be way too much! There's endless amounts of things to do in London to keep you occupied and amused, however. I'm very much looking forward to moving back to London after I graduate. Good luck with the rest of UCAS :smile:

Thanks, you just made my life easier. :chaplin:
Location is sooo important you cam go to an amazing uni but if you don't like the town or city your uni experience WILL suffer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by New- Emperor
Location is sooo important you cam go to an amazing uni but if you don't like the town or city your uni experience WILL suffer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I definitely agree with you on that.

Quick Reply

Latest