The Student Room Group

Becoming a teacher

Hi, was wondering if anyone could help me out! If I get a degree in education studies and have a level maths. Is it possible to do a PGCE in maths with out doing a maths degree at university. :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Em-jay22
Hi, was wondering if anyone could help me out! If I get a degree in education studies and have a level maths. Is it possible to do a PGCE in maths with out doing a maths degree at university. :smile:

It was definitely the case until a few years back ...
Unless a recent change has taken place it should still be the same.
Reply 2
That's great thank you
Reply 3
That's great thank you

no worries

yes but you'd most likely need to do a subject knowledge enhancement course before you do the PGCE
It is possible, but certainly not the easiest route. You may find a lot of providers would want you to have a stronger background in maths than that. Would you not be interested in doing maths/maths with education?
Reply 6
I am already doing an education studies course :/
Reply 7

Hello,
Yes you can do PGCE from university in any subject you want. As you picked math’s it has wide scope in education in all filed.
Reply 8
That is great news thank you
They usually set a minimum level that your degree needs to match with your PGCE subject. A lot of courses require a significant proportion of your degree dedicated to maths for you to be able to take it to PGCE level. Your other option is to find as many maths based extras to do alongside your degree so that you'll be considered for the SKE courses.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending