The Student Room Group

>> How can you tell if a guy is serious in a relationship? <<

Hi! I just wanna know how you can distinguish a guy who's serious with you from the one who is not. Please give specific qualities, examples and situations. Will appreciate those who'll give me answers! Oh and you can ask me if there's something you wanna know. Thanks! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How old is he?
Reply 2
Original post by catsis
How old is he?
17 :smile:
Reply 3
>> He doesn't have sex with other girls or guys <<
Treating you with respect and not trying to rush in things. But be careful of the guys who take this line only to get into your good books. Some are really good at this, they often make you feel like it was fate and things move quickly.
Another sign that he is committed is that he is willing to make concessions, giving up a habit or faces a fear.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by nilloelysha
17 :smile:

He isn't. He's too young to be serious.
Original post by catsis

True, but if he stays till an age where he is mature enough (even the mature for their age cant understand love at 17) then you know hes serious
Reply 7
Original post by BreakingRise
True, but if he stays till an age where he is mature enough (even the mature for their age cant understand love at 17) then you know hes serious

Agreed.
He'll ask you for anal.
Reply 9
Original post by A5ko
>> He doesn't have sex with other girls or guys <<

well obviously.. Lol xD thanks for the reply anyway :biggrin:
Reply 10
Treating you with respect and not trying to rush in things. But be careful of the guys who take this line only to get into your good books. Some are really good at this, they often make you feel like it was fate and things move quickly.
Another sign that he is committed is that he is willing to make concessions, giving up a habit or faces a fear.

Thank you! :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by catsis

But he could be.. :s-smilie: my mom told me she hd a friend who got a boyfriend when she was in highschool (probably 15-17 of age) and they actually got married after some years and are still together up to this day
I don't think there is any way for you to tell. There might be a guy who fits every thing people would write on here, and he is still not "serious". What does serious mean for you anyway? That he wants to end up marrying you?
Reply 13
Original post by catsis

I disagree with this. I've got a male friend who has been in a relationship with his current girlfriend for the past 4 years and still going strong. He was 15 when he entered this relationship.

As for the OP's question, he'll respect you. If you haven't spoken for a few hours during the day, he'll text you just to let you know he's okay and to make sure your day is going well. He'll actually wait to tell you that he loves you. He won't do anything that he knows you wouldn't want him to do. He won't argue with you. He'll talk about the future with you and what he wants. If he sees you in his future then he's definitely serious about you!

It all comes down to trust at the end of the day. The more you tell yourself that you don't trust him, the more it's going to seem like he's not serious about your relationship. I'm not at all saying you have trust issues, I'm just saying that once he's gained your trust, you'll notice that it's a lot easier to tell how serious he is about you and your relationship :smile:
Reply 14

Possibly.. Thanks!
Reply 15
Original post by nilloelysha
But he could be.. :s-smilie: my mom told me she hd a friend who got a boyfriend when she was in highschool (probably 15-17 of age) and they actually got married after some years and are still together up to this day

How long ago was this :rolleyes:

To be honest, sometimes it does work. Most of the time it doesn't. Especially not in this day and age.

Original post by titl3y
I disagree with this. I've got a male friend who has been in a relationship with his current girlfriend for the past 4 years and still going strong. He was 15 when he entered this relationship.

Don't talk about it like it was a successful story already. He's only 19.
Reply 16
Original post by titl3y

As for the OP's question, he'll respect you. If you haven't spoken for a few hours during the day, he'll text you just to let you know he's okay and to make sure your day is going well. He'll actually wait to tell you that he loves you. He won't do anything that he knows you wouldn't want him to do. He won't argue with you. He'll talk about the future with you and what he wants. If he sees you in his future then he's definitely serious about you!

It all comes down to trust at the end of the day. The more you tell yourself that you don't trust him, the more it's going to seem like he's not serious about your relationship. I'm not at all saying you have trust issues, I'm just saying that once he's gained your trust, you'll notice that it's a lot easier to tell how serious he is about you and your relationship :smile:

Reallyyy :redface: He's done every single thing you said on the 2nd paragraph!! But yeah.. I admit that i have trust issues. I'm paranoid when he looks at other girls and I overthink that he might love me today, but not anymore for tomorrow.. Things like that.
You can't tell. I believed my ex was serious about me, turns out he obv wasn't. In the end he showed his true colours about what he's really like - not the man I fell in love with. Lesson learned :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by SarcasticMel
I don't think there is any way for you to tell. There might be a guy who fits every thing people would write on here, and he is still not "serious". What does serious mean for you anyway? That he wants to end up marrying you?

I see your point... :frown: it's sad but i agree on that. Hmm for your question.. most likely yes.. :biggrin:
Reply 19
Original post by catsis
How long ago was this :rolleyes:

To be honest, sometimes it does work. Most of the time it doesn't. Especially not in this day and age.

It was 15 years ago haha :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest