The Student Room Group

Nick Clegg - Being caught with drugs during youth should not hinder prospects.

Young adults should not be prevented from applying for jobs because of a “stupid youthful mistake” with drugs, according to Nick Clegg. Right now, a teenager cautioned for possession of drugs for personal use will have to declare it for six years when applying for certain jobs, and if convicted and fined, for eleven years.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/generalelection/nick-clegg-makes-new-appeal-to-the-young-by-promising-drug-laws-overhaul-10083377.html

Do you find Nick Clegg's argument persuasive? Personally, I do think that if a student is caught with a tiny amount of drugs after a night out, it should not stop them from becoming, say, a doctor or a nurse some years later.

Scroll to see replies

I agree. People make stupid mistakes whilst they are young and I don't think it's fair to be punished for it. We all learn from our mistakes sooner or later
Reply 2
Not sure why it even matters. If they can do the job reliably why do their personal habits come into it?
There are 2 issues here really. The first is whether marijuana possession should be a crime. The second is about the impact a criminal offence should have on career prospects. Both are contentious points and both are things Clegg will struggle to address as he will at best be leader of the minority party in a coalition.
Reply 4
Agree. Come on, even Obama did it.
By youths, I thought he meant secondary school kids. Whilst I don't agree that a small infraction should lead to a complete block on their chosen career, particularly without any conviction, but I'd argue that a student really ought to know better.

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TornadoGR4
By youths, I thought he meant secondary school kids. Whilst I don't agree that a small infraction should lead to a complete block on their chosen career, particularly without any conviction, but I'd argue that a student really ought to know better.

I'd say other way round, if anything. At school, anti-drug mantras are drilled into you non-stop. The uni environment is substantially more drug-friendly and desensitising to it.
Agreed. No reason why drugs such as cannabis should be illegal and alcohol not when alcohol has been proven to be far more dangerous and also cause violence.
Reply 9
Original post by Kittiara
Young adults should not be prevented from applying for jobs because of a “stupid youthful mistake” with drugs, according to Nick Clegg. Right now, a teenager cautioned for possession of drugs for personal use will have to declare it for six years when applying for certain jobs, and if convicted and fined, for eleven years.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/generalelection/nick-clegg-makes-new-appeal-to-the-young-by-promising-drug-laws-overhaul-10083377.html

Do you find Nick Clegg's argument persuasive? Personally, I do think that if a student is caught with a tiny amount of drugs after a night out, it should not stop them from becoming, say, a doctor or a nurse some years later.

Oppose.

So long as such actions are illegal then people who exercise poor judgement should be punished for it. There's always a risk you'll be convicted for it, that's the entire point of a deterrent.
Original post by Rakas21
Oppose.

So long as such actions are illegal then people who exercise poor judgement should be punished for it. There's always a risk you'll be convicted for it, that's the entire point of a deterrent.

It's illogical to argue that something should be illegal because it's illegal.
It's about whether it should be illegal/ criminalized so arguing that it should be because it is doesn't make sense.

There are murderers, thieves, money launderers out there and as a society we're worried about a few teenagers with a bit of dope?

Which has proven to be far less harmful then alcohol.
Original post by Bornblue
It's illogical to argue that something should be illegal because it's illegal.
It's about whether it should be illegal/ criminalized so arguing that it should be because it is doesn't make sense.

There are murderers, thieves, money launderers out there and as a society we're worried about a few teenagers with a bit of dope?

Which has proven to be far less harmful then alcohol.

No.

Your asking two different questions here..

1) Should Cannabis be legal.

2) Should people who break the law be punished for it.

For the first question i actually support fining people in the same way you'd get a speeding ticket or be caught urinating on the street rather than convicting you and sending you to prison.

For the second question, i fully support the upholding of justice. Whether one likes it or not these things are currently illegal, if you choose to break the law you should be punished for it.
Original post by Rakas21
No.

Your asking two different questions here..

1) Should Cannabis be legal.

2) Should people who break the law be punished for it.

For the first question i actually support fining people in the same way you'd get a speeding ticket or be caught urinating on the street rather than convicting you and sending you to prison.

For the second question, i fully support the upholding of justice. Whether one likes it or not these things are currently illegal, if you choose to break the law you should be punished for it.

'upholding of justice'. So an 18 year old who goes to uni and smokes pot deserves to have his career prospects damaged? Have you ever done it? I'd guess most uni students have. It's a victimless 'crime' with zero legitimate justification for it's legality.

But even if you want to make it illegal why not decriminalize it? In Portugal they have and have seen far lower Cannabis abuse because of it.
I don't get this. If he's already going to be convicted/fined, why punish the poor chap further by ruining his job prospects?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bornblue
'upholding of justice'. So an 18 year old who goes to uni and smokes pot deserves to have his career prospects damaged? Have you ever done it? I'd guess most uni students have. It's a victimless 'crime' with zero legitimate justification for it's legality.

But even if you want to make it illegal why not decriminalize it? In Portugal they have and have seen far lower Cannabis abuse because of it.

If he's stupid enough to get caught. Yes. It's justification is irrelevant, the law does not work on the basis of 'do people think it's fair', it's works on the basis of 'parliament says this is illegal'.

Because not every country is the same. There's no guarantee you'll get such a drop here.
Original post by Asklepios
I don't get this. If he's already going to be convicted/fined, why punish the poor chap further by ruining his job prospects?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If your convicted you have a criminal record, that's what damages your job prospects for 7 years.
Original post by Rakas21
If your convicted you have a criminal record, that's what damages your job prospects for 7 years.

Which shouldn't be the case (except maybe jobs like teaching and healthcare)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Asklepios
Which shouldn't be the case (except maybe jobs like teaching and healthcare)

Posted from TSR Mobile

If there was no punishment then there's be no point in avoiding breaking the law.

Now i don't agree with these convictions but so long as it is illegal then i agree with upholding the law.
Original post by Rakas21
If he's stupid enough to get caught. Yes. It's justification is irrelevant, the law does not work on the basis of 'do people think it's fair', it's works on the basis of 'parliament says this is illegal'.

Because not every country is the same. There's no guarantee you'll get such a drop here.

Except it is relevant. In certain Muslim countries women can be lased according to law for driving, does that make it right? By your logic they should be because what they did was 'illegal' and 'justice should be upheld'.
We're currently losing the war on drugs, massively. Why not give it a go?
You're basically saying it should be illegal, because it's illegal.
Have you ever taken drugs?
Reply 19
Original post by Rakas21
the law does not work on the basis of 'do people think it's fair',

It can, a jury could nullify.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending