The Student Room Group

Revision with Ritalin

Has anyone tried to revise or go to sixthform/college on Ritalin?

Scroll to see replies

No you mad brah
inb4 mods give us the whole its illegal spiel bs.

You can't in uk, diagnosis for adhd is so scarce unless you get one I suppose.

u.s. kids I know are all on all that adderall, Stefan got addicted by got perfs on his SATs so it must work idk

Never had it though, wondered of its effect and whether it really works?
Ritalin is a controlled substance in the UK (class B) so is illegal to possess without a prescription. And anyway, from what I've heard, the advantage isn't really that noticeable and could be down to placebo effect.

Modafinil is another popular nootropic that is at least legal (but prescription only so you have to get it online). I've heard this is better for studying and keeping you alert.
Reply 4
Original post by Damien_Dalgaard
inb4 mods give us the whole its illegal spiel bs.

You can't in uk, diagnosis for adhd is so scarce unless you get one I suppose.

u.s. kids I know are all on all that adderall, Stefan got addicted by got perfs on his SATs so it must work idk

Never had it though, wondered of its effect and whether it really works?

Original post by Asklepios
Ritalin is a controlled substance in the UK (class B) so is illegal to possess without a prescription. And anyway, from what I've heard, the advantage isn't really that noticeable and could be down to placebo effect.

Modafinil is another popular nootropic that is at least legal (but prescription only so you have to get it online). I've heard this is better for studying and keeping you alert.

I have a mate that is prescribed methylphenidate hcl which is ritalin
Original post by nivek11

in uk
Reply 6
Original post by Damien_Dalgaard
in uk

i am from the uk
Original post by nivek11

He is most likely prescribed it for ADHD. Of course you can buy some off him, but possession without a prescription is illegal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
He is most likely prescribed it for ADHD. Of course you can buy some off him, but possession without a prescription is illegal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah he is...
does ritalin even help with studying?
Original post by nivek11
yeah he is...
does ritalin even help with studying?

I know a few people who've tried it. Some say it does help, some say it's only a little but of a difference, and others say it doesn't really make any difference. But maybe they didn't take enough to notice the effects.

From what I've heard, modafinil is better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I know a few people who've tried it. Some say it does help, some say it's only a little but of a difference, and others say it doesn't really make any difference. But maybe they didn't take enough to notice the effects.

From what I've heard, modafinil is better.

Posted from TSR Mobile

well i can get ritalin for free, and modafinil has more health risks?
Original post by nivek11
well i can get ritalin for free, and modafinil has more health risks?

The colloquial name of Ritalin is "kiddy coke." It's a stimulant just like cocaine. Modafinil is a 'wakefulness promoting agent.' Well if you can get Ritalin for free, then it should make things easy for you.

Obviously I can't promote illegal activity on here though, so don't do it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, as firstly I don't need drugs to be concentrade on and secondly the hefty side effects are good reasons not to take it.
Reply 13
I'd like to add as someone with ADHD that my medication- a type of ritalin called Concerta- helps me concentrate a lot. However, it works by essentially increasing my dopamine levels, as people diagnosed with ADHD will usually have less dopamine/receptors. i would strongly advise against taking it for studying, for 3 reasons.

1. the obvious one- it's illegal! ritalin is essentially speed and so is a class B drug. if you're caught with some both you and the supplier will be in deep doo-doo.

2. The side effects- ritalin is a stimulant and so users will experience some side effects, some of which are worse than others. For me, it causes a lack of appetite and so I am technically underweight.
I also experience a rapid heart rate- which sounds fine, but can potentially be very dangerous. It affected my already existing heart condition, and i recently had to go to hospital for a cardiac ablation- then had complications involving aneurysms and deep vein thrombosis.

My main problem is that a side effect that seems to be common is mood swings. i often feel euphoric then very depressed, and have panic attacks in stressful situations- (which you'll experience a lot at sixth form/college!) i often feel urges to hit people or to smash things which can be quite scary. I now also find it very difficult to revise without meds- ive developed a dependancy, if you like.

3. finally- as you probably dont have ADHD (its easy to spot) the effects it can have on your body are very large. people have had extreme reactions- dopamine overstimulation can lead to withdrawal (ive witnessed people crying in a corner), extreme panicking, and physical violence towards people around you.

i think the main issue here is that people don't realise that if you don't have ADHD, the effects will be different. For people with ADHD, the medication restores balance to disrupted neurotransmitters, and so calms you cognitively. For people w/o ADHD, it tips the scales, so you'll experience side effects similar to being on cocaine or speed.
At the end of the day, it's illegal. i know it's up to you, but in my opinion the risks far outweigh the benefits.
I hope this has helped and perhaps influenced your decision.:smile:
The colloquial name of Ritalin is "kiddy coke." It's a stimulant just like cocaine. Modafinil is a 'wakefulness promoting agent.' Well if you can get Ritalin for free, then it should make things easy for you.

Obviously I can't promote illegal activity on here though, so don't do it!

And is Modafinil the substance which is responsible for lack of appetite or are there another substances which come into question for that?
Original post by Kallisto
And is Modafinil the substance which is responsible for lack of appetite or are there another substances which come into question for that?

Apparently modafinil does have appetite-reducing effects, yes
Apparently modafinil does have appetite-reducing effects, yes

I wonder why this drug is prescribed when students have a problem in being concentrate on revision, if ritalin is such a bad drug which is able ruin the lives of so many people by addiction. Be honest, do you think that pharmacies bring ritalin on the market to the greatest extent just to make profits?
Original post by Kallisto
I wonder why this drug is prescribed when students have a problem in being concentrate on revision, if ritalin is such a bad drug which is able ruin the lives of so many people by addiction. Be honest, do you think that pharmacies bring ritalin on the market to the greatest extent just to make profits?

To an extent, yes. ADHD is a medical condition and treatment with Ritalin does help. But maybe there is some degree of over-treatment and over-diagnosis with pressure from the pharmaceutical industry.

This is may be of interest: http://www.nhs.uk/news/2014/11November/Pages/Growth-in-ADHD-diagnosis-caused-by-marketing.aspx
As an alternative to the whole "it is illegal" thing , what i will say is why do you want to take that stuff? Having taken it for ADHD myself... i can 100% say you don't!
To an extent, yes. ADHD is a medical condition and treatment with Ritalin does help. But maybe there is some degree of over-treatment and over-diagnosis with pressure from the pharmaceutical industry.

This is may be of interest: http://www.nhs.uk/news/2014/11November/Pages/Growth-in-ADHD-diagnosis-caused-by-marketing.aspx

And that is a point what bothers me. The increase diagnosis of ADHD and increase prescription of Ritanlin in this context is a bad sign that people are no longer regarding as patients who needs serious help, but as objects of medical consumer goods, just to bring (financial) success to a drug (in terms of ADHD I think there is not even a problem, but it is making an one). Its pretty pervert, isn't it?
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending