The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Lectures at Bath

I am hoping to study Chemical Engineering at Bath. Does Bath record lecture attendance through sign in sheets etc... and is attendance mandatory for all lectures?

Cheers.
Original post by Drowzy
I am hoping to study Chemical Engineering at Bath. Does Bath record lecture attendance through sign in sheets etc... and is attendance mandatory for all lectures?

Cheers.

Hi Drowzy,

I'm Carly, a second year student at Bath. The university takes attendance very seriously and attendance at all lectures and seminars is required. Attendance is monitored using sign in sheets and periods of absence will be questioned by your course leader.

Students are keen to make the most of their timetabled contact time with lecturers as this is their opportunity to ask questions and receive advice on course content, examinations and coursework.

If you have any other questions about the university feel free to quote me.

Carly
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
I'm a current first year chem eng, I've had attendance recorded maybe three times all year, and was always warned what lectures would record attendance in advance, via email. Your absence will also be at least noticed at the small group tutorials (once a week) and at lab sessions (once a fortnight, these also count toward your final mark).

Otherwise, lecture attendance is not enforced or mandatory, just really really really recommended, for obvious reasons. It's not an easy course.
Reply 3
Oh that sounds reassuring. Do they have video/audio lecture capture?
I've heard some lecturers in other courses record their lectures, but none of mine have so far. It's also very common for the lecture notes provided on moodle to have gaps, in particular missing out key equations, that are filled in during lectures - so if you miss one you need to go through the textbook/a friend's notes and play catch-up, or contact the lecturer.

It's normal to miss a few lectures here and there, there's no need to panic about absolutely needing to attend every single lecture, as long as you don't get into the habit of missing them for no reason. University is a very different environment to college, and people who laze about all semester then try to cram right before exams will fail every time.

If you've got any questions about first year Chem Eng, feel free to drop me a message.
Original post by Drowzy
Oh that sounds reassuring. Do they have video/audio lecture capture?

Hi,

It's Rob - a first year civil engineer.

Yes, all lecture rooms have cameras available for recording lectures. However, very few lectures are recorded. The decision whether to record is down to the lecturer. Personally only one of my modules this year has had any recorded lectures.

As such, to reemphasise what Carly said, attendance to all lectures is very much encouraged even if the lecture is recorded.

Rob

Quick Reply

Latest