The Student Room Group

Should 16/17 year olds be allowed to vote in General Elections?

Hi guys,

An interesting political stemmed issue that I have been researching for my Modern Studies Assignment has arose and I'm in need of some opinions on whether you think voting for 16 and 17 year olds should be introduced and why/what benefits will it bring Britain and obviously the opposing argument that disagrees.

So do you think that 16 and 17 year olds should be allowed to vote in future General Elections and why or not and why?

Scroll to see replies

No.

I don't even trust most 18 year olds to understand politics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
No, really the minimum age should 25, or at least 21
Reply 3
Definitely not. At 19 I'm still trying to figure out my place in society and it wasn't until I started Sixth Form that I gained an interest in political matters and how the future of parliament will affect the way I live for years to come. Of course, young people would have a major impact on the outcome of General Elections, like they say "the power of the people is more than the people in power" (or something along those lines) but I honestly believe 16/17 is too young.
Looking back and I would vote someone completely different now (aged 21) than when I was 16.

So I'm against decreasing the age and if anything I would increase the age a little.
No. Most probably wouldn't understand or care. The fate of the country, the health system, the taxpayers, and the rest shouldn't partly fall on a people that young.
Yes. Hear the voices of the young because all those big decisions in the parliament and government are going to affect US and OUR future.
Reply 7
Original post by ilovereading
Yes. Hear the voices of the young because all those big decisions in the parliament and government are going to affect US and OUR future.

An average 16 year old isn't capable of understanding which politics are better for them in the future
Reply 8
Original post by thunder_chunky
No. Most probably wouldn't understand or care. The fate of the country, the health system, the taxpayers, and the rest shouldn't partly fall on a people that young.

Interesting and also inconclusive - What is your opinion on the fact the Law dictates that 16 year olds can move out, marry and bear children, join the Armed Forces and also claim benefits at such a young age?
Original post by RLWKS14
Interesting and also inconclusive - What is your opinion on the fact the Law dictates that 16 year olds can move out, marry and bear children, join the Armed Forces and also claim benefits at such a young age?

They can marry with consent of their parents.

They cannot fight until they are 18.
I am 16. I think we should be able to vote. I enjoy interacting in politics.
However, most of my friends don't engage in politics like i do. Therefore, i understand why many people would say no. :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by DiddyDec
They can marry with consent of their parents.

They cannot fight until they are 18.

In Scotland, a 16 year old can marry without the consent of their parents.

Regardless of those statutory facts, what is your opinion?
Original post by RLWKS14
In Scotland, a 16 year old can marry without the consent of their parents.

Regardless of those statutory facts, what is your opinion?

No.

I don't even trust most 18 year olds to understand politics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think the age should be raised to 21.
Reply 13
Original post by Higherdude
I am 16. I think we should be able to vote. I enjoy interacting in politics.
However, most of my friends don't engage in politics like i do. Therefore, i understand why many people would say no. :smile:

I am in the same position. I am a 17 year old myself, but have established a coherent political aspect myself due to my commitment and interest in Politics and Modern Studies related issues in today's society but yet none of my friends are as involved as I am. I believe that to be given the opportunity to vote would be a milestone in Politics today - as for the Referendum, that was a majorly successful debate in which legislation was passed - and whether our generation takes advantage of that power, that is another case. Thanks for your opinion, very much appreciated.
Reply 14
I think the age should be raised to 21.

I respect your opinion, thank you!
Original post by RLWKS14

At sixteen or seventeen a person can join the Armed forces, but they cannot go to war. They are not allowed to enter combat until they are eighteen. As for the rest, well that's good for them. However I will make an unsubstantiated guess and say that most people of that age are probably still at home at that time of life and are in some form of education as well as part time work perhaps. They either don't know or don't care about politics, and they may not understand it.
Should people of that age help to dictate the course of a government and a country? Can they be trusted to make a good decision? I don't know.
No, a bunch of 16 year old 'smart, normal girls' just ran off to become the new Housewives of Sharia Hills. Most 16 year olds would just vote 'for the bants', or elect some utter ****head from youtube. We would end up with Zoella as prime minister and KSI as her deputy.
Since I'm 17 and have friends who also take an interest in politics, I don't see why not. I don't claim to know everything but probably know whole lot more than many people who can vote, in fact I know, I know a whole lot more than many people who can vote because my history teacher(who is just one example of those people) brushes of so many questions on politics and she is teaching the 'making of Britain' unit for my exam, which includes the politics. To be honest the politics of the 70's, 80's and 90's are probably the only part I take an interest in, the rest of the course is rather mundane.:redface:
Reply 18
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Since I'm 17 and have friends who also take an interest in politics, I don't see why not. I don't claim to know everything but probably know whole lot more than many people who can vote, in fact I know, I know a whole lot more than many people who can vote because my history teacher(who is just one example of those people) brushes of so many questions on politics and she is teaching the 'making of Britain' unit for my exam, which includes the politics. To be honest the politics of the 70's, 80's and 90's are probably the only part I take an interest in, the rest of the course is rather mundane.:redface:

Yes trust your state education, there is obviously no agenda or biases in what they teach you
Original post by RLWKS14
Hi guys,

An interesting political stemmed issue that I have been researching for my Modern Studies Assignment has arose and I'm in need of some opinions on whether you think voting for 16 and 17 year olds should be introduced and why/what benefits will it bring Britain and obviously the opposing argument that disagrees.

So do you think that 16 and 17 year olds should be allowed to vote in future General Elections and why or not and why?

In principal i'm of the opinion that anybody old enough to work and pay income taxes must be entitled to vote for a government.

In practice i look at the 2010 general and wider data suggesting that hundreds of thousands of people voted for a single policy without any other knowledge of what a party stood for or even likely who the MP is. As such i am very much of the opinion that extending suffrage will not really improve our democracy.

So no.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending