The Student Room Group

What the hell should I say to her?

So I am meeting the mother of Izzy Dix soon. For those of you who do not know (please use Google). Izzy Dix was a girl who was essentially bullied to death. She was bullied so much that she killed herself. The mothers name is Gabbi Dix. Anyway, I was meeting her on the weekend and I do not know what I should say to her. I feel I am a pretty tough person who normally has lots to say but even I am lost for words at the torment, Izzy suffered and her mother is suffering. I know that sounds very wimpy but it is true.

So in a nutshell what do you think I should do?
Reply 1
First and foremost, why are you meeting her?
Original post by titl3y

This.

Impossible question to answer otherwise.
Reply 3
Original post by titl3y

Writing an academic paper into the effects of bullying.
Reply 4
Original post by SophieSmall
This.

Impossible question to answer otherwise.

Original post by brawlforall

Damn.

Well, I suppose just asking about how her daugter was bullied, what kind of bullying she endured and how she tried to deal with it etc.
Reply 6
Well you can ask exactly that! You can ask how Izzy's behaviour changed over time as she was ridiculed by her tormentors. You can also ask how the bullying affected her family and the people close to her. How it affected her academically and socially? I'm sure her mum advocates for raising awareness of bullying so as long as you don't ask anything which may be deemed as disrespectful or intrusive (I'm confident that you wouldn't), then I'm sure Mrs Dix would be more than willing to answer any questions you have!

Good luck :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by DunGoofed
Dix lol

You inadvertently raise a good point. What role did her name have in her bullying?
Reply 8
Original post by SophieSmall
Damn.

Well, I suppose just asking about how her daugter was bullied, what kind of bullying she endured and how she tried to deal with it etc.

Yes, I have to take a perhaps cold technical approach to the issue of bullying. More in what forms does it manifest itself and such, rather than raising awareness about it.
Izzy Dix
Gabby Dix

Perhaps you could also mention a few others who have famously suffered similar ridicule:

Mike Rotch
Mike Hunt
Ivor Hardy
Seymour Dix
Tess Tickle
Richard Head
Hugh Jay Rection
Brian Cox
Reply 10
Original post by Laomedeia
Izzy Dix
Gabby Dix

Perhaps you could also mention a few others who have famously suffered similar ridicule:

Mike Rotch
Mike Hunt
Ivor Hardy
Seymour Dix
Tess Tickle
Richard Head
Hugh Jay Rection
Brian Cox

Izzy and Gabbi Dix are/were real people, it is just that they might have unfortunate last names. Google them.
Original post by titl3y
Well you can ask exactly that! You can ask how Izzy's behaviour changed over time as she was ridiculed by her tormentors. You can also ask how the bullying affected her family and the people close to her. How it affected her academically and socially? I'm sure her mum advocates for raising awareness of bullying so as long as you don't ask anything which may be deemed as disrespectful or intrusive (I'm confident that you wouldn't), then I'm sure Mrs Dix would be more than willing to answer any questions you have!

Good luck :smile:

Good advice.
Reply 12
Bump.

Quick Reply

Latest