The Student Room Group

Do I still need to apply for SAAS?

Hi,

I was just wondering, as I've just made my decisions regarding my firm and insurance choices - I've put the University of Sheffield as my firm, and the University of Edinburgh as my insurance. I've already applied with Student Finance England for my tuition loan, but the thing is, what do I do if I don't get into Sheffield? I won't have the maintenance loan or anything to go to Scotland - so do I still need to apply for SAAS?

I considered applying for SAAS, and then possibly cancelling my application when I get my results in August if I am given a place at Sheffield ... but I wasn't sure if I could do that. Does anyone have any advice?
Reply 1
Do you live in England or Scotland? If you live in England I think you apply through finance England for all loans but if you are scottish then you apply through saas (Scotland)? Although I'm not sure about implications for the two choices in different areas. My daughter applied and accepted her firm/insurance choices both in England but we have to apply to saas(Scotland) for all funding. Hope this helps but if not I'd contact the relate to finance company in your area (Scotland/England) for advice on this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just make sure you meet your firm offer requirements then
Original post by SaffyRon
Hi,

I was just wondering, as I've just made my decisions regarding my firm and insurance choices - I've put the University of Sheffield as my firm, and the University of Edinburgh as my insurance. I've already applied with Student Finance England for my tuition loan, but the thing is, what do I do if I don't get into Sheffield? I won't have the maintenance loan or anything to go to Scotland - so do I still need to apply for SAAS?

I considered applying for SAAS, and then possibly cancelling my application when I get my results in August if I am given a place at Sheffield ... but I wasn't sure if I could do that. Does anyone have any advice?

You can't apply to more then one funding body..

If you live in England/the EU and are studying in the UK you apply to SFE. SAAS is only for Scottish domiciled (or EU students studying here) students applying to universities in the UK.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Erm ... well, I'm currently living in England, and I'm a dual French/British citizen - Edinburgh's given me an EU student fee status (whereas Sheffield hasn't), which is why I was really confused about it (because I knew SAAS is only for Scottish/EU students).

Still, thanks for the info :biggrin: I feel a bit less confused now.
I'm having the same issue, I am living in Newcastle and applied for Heriott-Watt (Scotland) and Northumbria (England). I have done the student finance loan application and recieved a letter with the breakdown of how much I will get. Then I've chosen my firm and insurance choices, Heriott-Watt and Northumbria in that order and got an email from Heriott Watt that I should apply for SAAS aswell. If I understand the thread properly, I should apply to both since the two unis are in Scotland and England and cancel whichever one I don't need when I have got my grade. I am foreign like the thread starter, but have been living and studying here for 10 years now, if that makes a difference. Also, Heriott-Watt classified me as a Home student when on the application I put that I will be moving from home, does this mean I will get less for maintance loan (rent, food, transport etc)? Any help is welcome

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending