The Student Room Group

Would I still be suitable for English Lit at Uni?

Hi,

I hope this is in the right place! Basically I have known I wanted to do secondary school teaching for ages but biology was my favourite subject at GCSE so I have kept on Biology, Chemistry, Maths for AS and also English Lit AS for sheer enjoyment as I love it. The thing is, now this year (my AS year) I have found that my real passion lies in English lit, the work doesn't feel like work in that class- I do extra research for it simply because I'm interested in it and hence I'm being told I'm doing exceptionally well- I have full marks in all coursework and nearly full marks in my mock, my poetry essays are consistently handed out to the class as exemplar material.

I am now thinking I would love to do english lit at uni but my other A-Levels aren't really complementary of that choice. I have grade 7 drama exams and wide range of reading/theatre interests- would I still be considered if I applied to do english lit and would I survive the course without the likes of history? Even if I did, is it likely that my A-Level choices would make me rather unemployable as a teacher?

Sorry for all the questions but the thought of having to give up English lit at the end of this year if I am going for a biology degree makes me want to cry! Thank you to anyone who feels they could help!
To be honest, I don't think it matters that you're not studying the typical 'artsy' subjects that some English Lit applicants do. I study A Level Media and Sociology alongside English Lit and have been offered a place at UEA to study English and American Lit in September. Uni places are based a lot more on your subject attainment, references from teachers, any personal circumstances and of course personal statement... So as long as you're able to articulate an immense passion for Literature, you should be fine. My friend got a place at York to study English Lit last year with A Levels in English Lit, Biology and Spanish. So it's not the end of the world that you have a scientific mind! You'll get in no problem :smile:
Original post by Caroliz001
Hi,

I hope this is in the right place! Basically I have known I wanted to do secondary school teaching for ages but biology was my favourite subject at GCSE so I have kept on Biology, Chemistry, Maths for AS and also English Lit AS for sheer enjoyment as I love it. The thing is, now this year (my AS year) I have found that my real passion lies in English lit, the work doesn't feel like work in that class- I do extra research for it simply because I'm interested in it and hence I'm being told I'm doing exceptionally well- I have full marks in all coursework and nearly full marks in my mock, my poetry essays are consistently handed out to the class as exemplar material.

I am now thinking I would love to do english lit at uni but my other A-Levels aren't really complementary of that choice. I have grade 7 drama exams and wide range of reading/theatre interests- would I still be considered if I applied to do english lit and would I survive the course without the likes of history? Even if I did, is it likely that my A-Level choices would make me rather unemployable as a teacher?

Sorry for all the questions but the thought of having to give up English lit at the end of this year if I am going for a biology degree makes me want to cry! Thank you to anyone who feels they could help!

Hello!

It's great to hear that you are interested in studying English Literature at university. I will say that the other A level subjects will not hinder your application for an English degree in any way. So long as you have the passion for studying English and can achieve the required grades then go for it! I think its great that you have such a diverse choice of subjects and you will be surprised how those subjects may crop up in English Literature in some way. For example, one of the modules in third year at the University of Reading involves science in literature.

I'm currently a third year student studying English Literature and History of Art so I cannot recommend studying the subject enough! The department at the university is very supportive and the staff are from a wide range of specialities. The choice of modules is huge, especially in third year where there are over 40 modules to choose from! For more information please click on this link http://www.reading.ac.uk/english-literature/

Please do ask any questions you have, perhaps about the course or the university itself!
Pip, third year English Literature and History of Art :smile:
Hi! :smile: I don't think science A levels will in any way hinder your prospects of gaining a place at university to study English, or as a career in teaching - if anything, as solid 'traditional' academic subjects, they may be very helpful (of course this is true of history etc. too).

After my GCSEs I chose to study Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Maths - and after finishing my A levels last year, did a complete U-turn and realised that I actually wanted to do English as a degree, rather than Biomed Sci which was what I had applied for. So, this year I have applied to do English, whilst doing the A level in one year - my point is that I have had offers from some great universities despite not actually yet having any post-GCSE English qualifications, so the fact that you will already have some results is great!

Sciences can be very difficult, and universities will appreciate that - I also think it's almost fitting for English, due to the fact that the way you think is broadened to greater extent, and you may see things from a different perspective to those only having studied arts.

Sorry for the ramble, hope that helps a bit! :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks guys! You've all been so useful! I put myself out there and went and spoke to my english teacher, she thinks it would be brilliant for me and agrees that I would still be eligible to most universities even though I don't do any other humanities subjects so I've applied for an english summer school at Durham University through the Sutton Trust Scheme, I might not get in but if I do it will help me decide for definite if this is what I want!

Can't thank you guys enough for your help and advice! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest