The Student Room Group

University Prestige Rankings

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kieran101090
Kings college is highly prestigious as oxbridge. Go to india they know bout it. Ask em bout exeter, it might sound like exit her!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Too bad the question wasn't "University Prestige Rankings from the Perspective of the Indian Populace". I think we should start a new thread specifically for that.
^^^ I know Luther Van is from India and has never attended a top UK university.

King's in not as prestigious at Oxford and/or Cambridge even in India. Not even LSE and Imperial are viewed as prestigious as Oxbridge in India.

... and, speaking of India, the billionaire Tata made a huge donation to a UK uni, but not to King's.
Luther Van, King's College's number 1 fan, could only wish that it be King's. But it's not. It's the uni which he hates the most -- http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/wmg/research/naic

lol...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by subjunctivehistorian
Might I just point out, in light of your last statement, that Oxford regularly ask for just AAA for humanities subjects whereas Exeter has been known to ask for A*AA/A*A*A. Does that mean the students at Exeter are better? No.

Unless you're talking about Medicine which Exeter asks for A*AA-AAA; IB:38-36 as typical offers, Exeter hasn't been known to ask A*AA/A*A*A, at all. The unis I listed in tier 1a and 1b ask those grades. Exeter generally asks AAB-ABB; IB: 34-32 if not AAA-AAB; IB: 36-34. That said, I agree Exeter is good uni, and I'd be happy to go there if I don't get an offer from one of those unis in tier 1b.

http://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses-by-subject/
Original post by Magnus Taylor
London met is rapidly increasing in prestige

What about liverpooooool:yy::yy::yy::yy::colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr. Roxas
Luther Van

I think what's strange here is you pathetic attempt to dissuade the people to look at the league tables differently. All major ranking league tables are saying your beloved King's is not in anyway a peer of Warwick, UCL, Durham, St. Andrews and such universities. King's is good, but it is not in a league of Warwick, Durham, St. Andrews and UCL.

Lol.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

You are mistaken. I have no love for Strand Poly but I will gladly use it to address you insecurities that you attended Warwick, which you thought was the next best thing to Oxbridge and you like to claim is now a rival to Oxbridge.

You put up a major fallacy there, insecure Warwick graduate. All academic league tables say KCL, Manchester, Edinburgh and Durham are superior to Warwick.

Even industry leaders are saying all these universities are better than Warwick.

All these universities have a better history than Warwick.

Even Oxbridge students surveyed stated all these universities are better than Warwick.

Bar Durham, all these universities did better than Warwick in the recent REF assessment.

Start thinking of Warwick as a better version of Loughborough, not an alternative to Oxbridge.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Who cares what internationally covered rankings say? No one pays much attention to it for undergraduate education. Internationally covered rankings are largely for graduate and post-graduate levels.

How did you arrive at the conclusion "no one" pays attention to international league tables when making decisions about their choice of undegraduate education?

Such unsubstantiated and illogical statement reflects badly on the quality of a Warwick student, you know?

One only has to look at TSR and see how university applicants talk about international league tables. Are you saying they are "no ones"?:rolleyes:
(edited 9 years ago)
Yes, that's true StA isn't part of the RG, yet it's prestigious and famous, and is one of the toughest unis to get into. Regardless how it became so, is not what this thread was about. The thread was simply asking the prestigious UK unis, and I gave the best answers.

The best way to measure prestige is by knowing the selectivity level of the institution and its enrollment yield rate. I have no question in my mind that St A performs quite well in those areas. Look at the Entrance Requirement of St A and compare it to, say, King's College who's part of the RG. Then you can see for yourself that StA demands higher entry than King's does -- by a wide margin -- and thus StA has better, superior student makeup compared to King's does.

Insecure Warwick graduate, let me refresh your mind on what prestige is:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3001705&page=28&p=52971999#post52971999
Let me be clearer this time. For UNDERGRADUATE EDUCATION In the UK, it's generally like this:

Oxford, Cambridge -- In the league of their own

1. LSE, Imperial

2.a. UCL, Warwick
2.b. Durham, St. Andrews, Bristol, Edinburgh

3. Manchester, Notts, Bath, York, King's, Exeter and so on...

Unis that fall in 2.a. and 2.b. are interchangeable and may overlap in some areas depending on the interest of the applicants/students. For example, many elite students pursuing IR would place StA on top of his college choices and would rank it above UCL and/or Warwick. But, by and large, the placement of unis above -- in terms of prestige and brand name cache -- both nationally and internationally are pretty close to how I enumerated them.

Explain how you came to the conclusion Warwick is on par with UCL and how Warwick is better than Durham.:colondollar:

Also explain how Warwick has more international prestige and brand than Manchester and KCL, insecure Warwick graduate.:cool:
Original post by subjunctivehistorian
Might I just point out, in light of your last statement, that Oxford regularly ask for just AAA for humanities subjects whereas Exeter has been known to ask for A*AA/A*A*A. Does that mean the students at Exeter are better? No.

Of course, by his logic, Exeter is more presitigious than Oxford for Humanities.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by benpringle
How would you rate the top British universities in terms of prestige?

For me, it's:

Oxford/Cambridge
Imperial/LSE
Durham/Bristol/UCL/St Andrews
Warwick
York/Edinburgh/kings
Exeter/Nottingham/Manchester/Bath
Leeds/Newcastle/Glasgow
Birmingham
Sheffield
Southampton
Cardiff
Liverpool
Queen Mary
QUB

That's just my impression, what's yours?

why is nottingham so high when its lower than sheffield and southampton on most league tables
also why liverpool so low?
Original post by hdindak
why is nottingham so high when its lower than sheffield and southampton on most league tables
also why liverpool so low?

Liverpool is 3rd after Oxbridge mate:colondollar::colondollar::yy::yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LutherVan
Strangely, on TSR, prestige rankings are like this:

- Oxford, Cambridge
- Durham, Warwick
- Imperial, UCL, St Andrews
- LSE, Bath, York, Exeter
- Bristol, KCL, Manchester
- Edinburgh
- Then rest of Russell Group

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Absurd thinking.:rolleyes:

ahahha! nah more like-
- Oxbridge
-durham, warwick, UCL, LSE
-the rest of the russell group
^^^ I know Luther Van is from India and has never attended a top UK university.

King's in not as prestigious at Oxford and/or Cambridge even in India. Not even LSE and Imperial are viewed as prestigious as Oxbridge in India.

... and, speaking of India, the billionaire Tata made a huge donation to a UK uni, but not to King's.
Luther Van, King's College's number 1 fan, could only wish that it be King's. But it's not. It's the uni which he hates the most -- http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/wmg/research/naic

lol...

Mr Roxas, I will honestly advise you to stop humiliating Warwick with your statements.

Please try to understand the difference between a "donation" and "joint investment".

Also Tata [Motors] is a company, not an Indian billionaire.

Here are figures for DONATIONS to UK universities:

http://www.nairaland.com/141689/rough-guide-best-most-reputable/9#19380589

http://www.nairaland.com/141689/rough-guide-best-most-reputable/9#24401696

Warwick is not a university billionaires donate to, KCL is.

You have not attended an Oxbridge level university. Don't be delusional.
Original post by coconuthead--
Liverpool is 3rd after Oxbridge mate:colondollar::colondollar::yy::yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile

what?
Wat the f**k happened to the university of east london
Yes, that's true StA isn't part of the RG, yet it's prestigious and famous, and is one of the toughest unis to get into. Regardless how it became so, is not what this thread was about. The thread was simply asking the prestigious UK unis, and I gave the best answers.

The best way to measure prestige is by knowing the selectivity level of the institution and its enrollment yield rate. I have no question in my mind that St A performs quite well in those areas. Look at the Entrance Requirement of St A and compare it to, say, King's College who's part of the RG. Then you can see for yourself that StA demands higher entry than King's does -- by a wide margin -- and thus StA has better, superior student makeup compared to King's does.

Meh, not really. Its entry requirements are artificially kept high because of the low supply of places to domestic students. St. A practically offers their right tit to international students (especially Americans) leaving domestic - not even Scottish places - at record breaking low levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LutherVan
How did you arrive at the conclusion "no one" pays attention to international league tables when making decisions about their choice of undegraduate education?

Such unsubstantiated and illogical statement reflects badly on the quality of a Warwick student, you know?

One only has to look at TSR and see how university applicants talk about international league tables. Are you saying they are "no ones"?:rolleyes:

You sad sad sad little man, where is KCL in this ranking? It's not even featured at all :biggrin:

Spoiler

Warwick isn't as bad as you're trying to make it out to be
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by coconuthead--
What about liverpooooool:yy::yy::yy::yy::colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ahaha what about liverpool?
Original post by C_Richards99
You sad sad sad little man, where is KCL in this ranking? It's not even featured at all :biggrin:

Spoiler

KCL is overhyped

Why are you asking me where Strand Poly is?

You are another insecure Warwick student who can't accept Strand Poly is better than your university?:colondollar:

Does Strand Poly offer subjects relevant to IB?

What has a certain field's ranking got to do with overall prestige?:rolleyes:
Original post by Princepieman
Meh, not really. Its entry requirements are artificially kept high because of the low supply of places to domestic students. St. A practically offers their right tit to international students (especially Americans) leaving domestic - not even Scottish places - at record breaking low levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile

St Andrews has a low supply of domestic places because it physically cannot support more places.

One can say all the Ivy Leagues are keeping their supply of spots low. A Uni like Harvard has only 6,000 undergraduates and 14,000 postgraduates. I'm pretty sure they fully enjoy keeping their undergraduate population low so that each student gets a larger share of resources and in order to decrease the acceptance rate.

Plenty of unis have tons of international students, LSE is one for example. Why are there few complaints that LSE is basically an international school?
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending