What about liverpooooool:yy::yy::yy::yy::colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

And that

Oxbridge

LSE, UCL, Imperial

KCL, Warwick, Edinburgh, Durham

Bristol, Exeter, Manchester

The rest of the Russell group

You are mistaken. I have no love for Strand Poly but I will gladly use it to address you insecurities that you attended Warwick, which you thought was the next best thing to Oxbridge and you like to claim is now a rival to Oxbridge.

You put up a major fallacy there, insecure Warwick graduate. All academic league tables say KCL, Manchester, Edinburgh and Durham are superior to Warwick.

You’re the one that’s mistaken here.

All nationally covered, more legit, more relevant and trustworthy ranking games were saying WARWICK is superior to King’s College. The gap isn't even close. From The Complete University Guide, The Guardian and jointly by The Times and The Sunday Times to The Daily Telegraph and the Financial Times, amongst others, are ALL saying Warwick is superior to King’s College. And, again, the gap isn't even close.
Furthermore, Warwick is the only multi-faculty university apart from Oxbridge that has not been ranked outside of the top 10 by any credible league table. King’s has been outside of the top 20 unis for over a decade now. So saying it is better than Warwick is ridiculous.

Even industry leaders are saying all these universities are better than Warwick.
LoL... It’s obvious that you do not know what you are talking about. But I do understand your position given that you have not attended a top UK university, never experienced being interviewed by a top bank, have never been hired by a well-established company, and the only knowledge you now have comes from hearsay of people who are just like you bum and a complete idiot.

Now, let’s go to the topic.
Warwick is a top target uni for top bulge bracket firms. The biggest names in the banking and financial institutions, such as, Goldman Sachs, J.P. Morgan, Barclays, UBS, Morgan Stanley, Citi, Credit Suisse, Deutsche Bank, Bank of America Merrill Lynch, as well as, the top management consulting firms, such as, McKinsey, Bain, Deloitte, Accenture, among others, do ALL regularly recruit at Warwick. They all consider Warwick to be a top feeder school, along with Oxbridge and the elite London unis of LSE and UCL, plus Imperial. This is a feat that a 2nd-rate uni like King’s College can only wish to have.
Look, I'm not inventing this. This is reality that I'm talking about.
And, again, these are not so-so companies and firms that regularly recruit at Warwick. These are the biggest, most influential, more stable, most respected companies/banks which all consider Warwick as one of the only 6 core schools to recruit top talents from in the UK.

All these universities have a better history than Warwick.

King’s is older, you mean. But it doesn't have the rich history that a great uni like Oxford, for instance, can boast of.
I admit it does have a leg up on this fight given it’s older. But to say it has a good history is a form of baloney. If anything, I’d take that against King’s, as this has only established my previous assumption that King’s College did not take advantage of its age (when it has fewer competitors back then which was the perfect time to gain momentum and speed up in the race) as King’s College's prestige and resources, as well as, the quality of the students, are declining now.
Maybe it’s true King’s was a powerhouse 100 years ago. But today, it’s not generally considered a top 10 UK university anymore. Thanks to its history then it has slipped in all nationally-covered reputational surveys, lol...

Even Oxbridge students surveyed stated all these universities are better than Warwick.

Show me the survey results, if indeed, such surveys existed. But I know you can’t. It's because there’s wasn't a survey of such, in the first place.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Okorange
St Andrews has a low supply of domestic places because it physically cannot support more places.

Plenty of unis have tons of international students, LSE is one for example. Why are there few complaints that LSE is basically an international school?

LSE is different because it's arguably on par with Oxbridge reputation wise and academically. Even if it increased its number of domestic places, it would still retain its high entry requirements.

St. Andrews isn't quite at that level - even if they try to be. That's why I think limiting domestic places gives them a much greater advantage on the entry reqs side of these rankings.
Original post by Princepieman
Meh, not really. Its entry requirements are artificially kept high because of the low supply of places to domestic students. St. A practically offers their right tit to international students (especially Americans) leaving domestic - not even Scottish places - at record breaking low levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How can they artificially keep their entry requirements high?? :confused: Most international students would get in with the IB diploma which also equates to UCAS points.
And it makes sense, considering EU/Scottish don't pay fees. Anyways, LSE has an even higher proportion of international students (4.2% to be exact) so...

Original post by LutherVan
Why are you asking me where Strand Poly is?

You are another insecure Warwick student who can't accept Strand Poly is better than your university?:colondollar:

Does Strand Poly offer subjects relevant to IB?

What has a certain field's ranking got to do with overall prestige?:rolleyes:

:confused: Was this your attempt at being funny?

You're kidding right? Of course KCL offers subjects allied to IB - they offer Mathematics w/ Finance and Economics. Please do some research to back up your points next time :biggrin::biggrin:

IB Front Office jobs are some of the most competitive and highest paying salaries in the job markets. Of course, employers of that field would care about reputation of universities.
Original post by C_Richards99
How can they artificially keep their entry requirements high?? :confused: Most international students would get in with the IB diploma which also equates to UCAS points.
And it makes sense, considering EU/Scottish don't pay fees. Anyways, LSE has an even higher proportion of international students (4.2% to be exact) so...

You're kidding right? Of course KCL offers subjects allied to IB - they offer Mathematics w/ Finance and Economics. Please do some research to back up your points next time :biggrin::biggrin:

IB Front Office jobs are some of the most competitive and highest paying salaries in the job markets. Of course, employers of that field would care about reputation of universities.

I think you mean 42% but yeah, I've already stated my opinion of LSE.

Nah, most internationals don't do the IB. Most Americans get admitted with AP tests, SAT scores (pointlessly easy when compared to A-levels) or just their GPAs (which is extremely skewed by those taking easy 'A' courses).
1st set - Oxford and Cambridge.

2nd set - LSE and Imperial.

3rd set - Durham, Warwick, Bristol, St Andrews, Edinburgh and UCL.

4th set - King's, Birmingham, Nottingham, Manchester, Exeter, York, Southampton, Bath, Surrey, Lancaster and Loughborough.

5th set - Queen Mary, Queen's Belfast, Cardiff, Liverpool, Leeds, Newcastle, Sheffield, Glasgow, Aberdeen, East Anglia, Dundee, Sussex, Reading, Kent, Leicester and Keele.

6th set - Essex, Huddersfield, Hertfordshire, Heriot Watt, Strathclyde, Plymouth, Brighton, Hull, Royal Holloway, Goldsmiths, SOAS, Birkbeck, St George's, City, Brunel.....

7th set - UEL, South Bank, Westminster, Greenwich, Middlesex, London Met, Kingston, West London, Manchester Met, Sheffield Hallam, Abertay....
(edited 9 years ago)
How did you arrive at the conclusion "no one" pays attention to international league tables when making decisions about their choice of undegraduate education?

Such unsubstantiated and illogical statement reflects badly on the quality of a Warwick student, you know?

One only has to look at TSR and see how university applicants talk about international league tables. Are you saying they are "no ones"?

Okay. Since you’ve asked for it how, I’ll tell you now how.

Take a look at how skewed rankings that cover universities located in different countries such as this one made by QS. Here’s how they ranked the unis: http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2014#sorting=rank+region=+country=+faculty=+stars=false+search=
At #2 was Imperial. Oxford was #5. Really? Even the most ambitious engineer wannabe would rather matriculate at Oxford than at Imperial, as the data have shown Oxford almost always winning in the cross-admit battles between the two, as Oxford's enrollment yield rate is quite high. Oxford has better name recognition, both in the UK and in the USA. It has a more powerful alumni, has bigger funding, more resources, etc, etc, how in the world would Oxford tail only to Imperial? Come on. Let’s get real. Imperial is a great institution for engineering and hard sciences, but Oxford is better. Yet in this ranking which you’re supporting says, Imperial is superior to Oxford. Is that really so? Well, I don’t think so.

Let’s take another example, as a case in point. In the same ranking table, it appeared that Michigan was ranked #23, several notches ahead of Brown, which was ranked at #52. Brown is an Ivy League school, very well-funded and has been able to attract better quality students than Michigan has. Yet, again, according to this league table that you’re supporting, Michigan is superior to Brown. In the USA, almost everyone would rather attend Brown than Michigan. That is the reality in the USA, which, apparently, you’re clueless about given you have not been to America.
In the same league table, Dartmouth didn't even make it to the top 100. Yet, I would wager that almost everyone who has been accepted to both Dartmouth College and King’s College (which was ranked #16, btw), would attend Dartmouth. Yet, on the league table that you’re supporting, King's would appear to be a more attractive school to go to than Dartmouth is. No way is King’s better than Dartmouth. You are fooling yourself when you seriously think that King’s is number 16 in the world is is superior to schools like Duke, UPenn, Northwestern, Cornell or the top Liberal Arts Colleges in the USA, which aren't even ranked, which, makes your claim even more ridiculous!!! Do you think King’s would rival in the cross-admit battles against Amherst, Williams or Pomona? You’re only fooling yourself if you think there would be more cross-admitted students choosing King’s over those colleges, lol...

And, it’s for those reasons why international league tables are more of a ranking for graduate and post-graduate schools where research output was measured and given more weight than undergrad-driven criteria, such as, schools offering better college experience, lower ratio of student-to-faculty, better facilities, more hands-on faculty, a more uniformly smarter student bodies, etc, etc…
(edited 9 years ago)
Insecure Warwick graduate, let me refresh your mind on what prestige is:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3001705&page=28&p=52971999#post52971999

I agree prestige is about perception, that is why the top students would rather end up at the more prestigious schools. That is also why the more prestigious universities almost always win in the cross-admit battles. Meaning, when one is accepted at both Oxford and King's College, for instance, the students would all head to oxford, not to King's as Oxford is the MORE prestigious university between the two. The people who determine prestige are the admitted students -- as these students drive reputation of the university.

When you have a university that's constantly beating Oxbridge in the cross-admit battles, then that would be the time to say, we have another UK uni that is as prestigious as, if not more prestigious than, Oxbridge. But I don't see that happening now or in the future, as in reality, Oxbridge do almost always win in the cross-admit battles over any uni in the UK.
(edited 9 years ago)
Explain how you came to the conclusion Warwick is on par with UCL and how Warwick is better than Durham.

it's simple. They both have similar entry standards. They have have equally the smae level of smart, very talented student bodies. They both are top target unis to the views of the top employers, which means, they both have almost an identical opportunities for their graduates. Durham is obviously just as good as of those two. StA, Bristol and Edinburgh too. Both UCL and Warwick just have more access to firms/banks/companies where those others don't really. And, for that, they are viewed a little more respected.

Also explain how Warwick has more international prestige and brand than Manchester and KCL, insecure Warwick graduate.:cool:

I never argued that Warwick is more respected AMONGST the academic people outside of the UK. The data have shown that Warwick tails to all those unis. But those were opinions of the academics which do not focus on undergraduate education. For instance, amongst the criteria was research output. Research outputs are products of graduate and post-graduate students.
Mr Roxas, I will honestly advise you to stop humiliating Warwick with your statements.

Please try to understand the difference between a "donation" and "joint investment".

Also Tata [Motors] is a company, not an Indian billionaire.

Here are figures for DONATIONS to UK universities:

http://www.nairaland.com/141689/rough-guide-best-most-reputable/9#19380589

http://www.nairaland.com/141689/rough-guide-best-most-reputable/9#24401696

Warwick is not a university billionaires donate to, KCL is.

You have not attended an Oxbridge level university. Don't be delusional.

Unfortunately, again, you have no idea what your'e talking about. My current alma mater school has an endowment fund bigger than either Oxford or Cambridge, yet my alma mater school does not flaunt its endowment like you do. lol...

Kings doesn't have a billion endowment fund. It only has about 150M which earns negligible given income derived from it limits to about 8% per annum. Talk to me about endowment fund when King's would have a billion pounds, okay? lol...

And, about Tata, if King's was that prestigious as you claimed, why didn't those Indian billionaires awarded those money to King's???? It doesn't make sense to me. lol...
(edited 9 years ago)
#allmedicalschools

Pardon this guy, Luther Van. He's just a lowly Indian guy who hasn't even attended a top school, and has no idea about the jobs in banking and financial world and how competitive it is to secure a position at those firms/banks. Little does this guy know that even the top graduates of the best schools in America or India, like Harvard, Yale Princeton, Berkeley, MIT, Columbia, or IIT of India, etc., would break an arm just to secure a position in banking and finance.

This Luther Van guy who's from a remote village in India is hilarious. He's been known as the clown and jokes of TSR for years now.
(edited 9 years ago)
1st set - Oxford and Cambridge.

2nd set - LSE and Imperial.

3rd set - Durham, Warwick, Bristol, St Andrews, Edinburgh and UCL.

4th set - King's, Birmingham, Nottingham, Manchester, Exeter, York, Southampton, Bath, Surrey, Lancaster and Loughborough.

5th set - Queen Mary, Queen's Belfast, Cardiff, Liverpool, Leeds, Newcastle, Sheffield, Glasgow, Aberdeen, East Anglia, Dundee, Sussex, Reading, Kent, Leicester and Keele.

6th set - Essex, Huddersfield, Hertfordshire, Heriot Watt, Strathclyde, Plymouth, Brighton, Hull, Royal Holloway, Goldsmiths, SOAS, Birkbeck, St George's, City, Brunel.....

7th set - UEL, South Bank, Westminster, Greenwich, Middlesex, London Met, Kingston, West London, Manchester Met, Sheffield Hallam, Abertay....

YES

Rubbish.

I just checked, they just introduced an economics degree this year.

I think KCL's focus is Health & Medicine and Humanities.

It is not a quantitative university. It only focuses on the 'S' in STEM.

It did not use to do engineering and economics.

And its Maths and Technology offering was very narrow.

Strand Poly has a higher employment rate than Warwick based on a larger student base and, yet, the Strand Poly's graduates make more than Warwick students.

So which is more reputable?

Here is more about reputation if you want. A survey of industry captains.

http://emerging.fr/rank_en.html
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 56
This is a difficult task, because prestige varies depending on subjects and their departments.
Original post by Mr. Roxas
You’re the one that’s mistaken here.

All nationally covered, more legit, more relevant and trustworthy ranking games were saying WARWICK is superior to King’s College. The gap isn't even close. From The Complete University Guide, The Guardian and jointly by The Times and The Sunday Times to The Daily Telegraph and the Financial Times, amongst others, are ALL saying Warwick is superior to King’s College. And, again, the gap isn't even close.
Furthermore, Warwick is the only multi-faculty university apart from Oxbridge that has not been ranked outside of the top 10 by any credible league table. King’s has been outside of the top 20 unis for over a decade now. So saying it is better than Warwick is ridiculous.

You mean like the Guardian rankings which every one thinks is a joke?:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

And other customer services tables?:colondollar:

Here is reputation rankings for you:

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2015/reputation-ranking

Go and look at rankings that rank academics and see the difference.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2014-15/world-ranking

http://www.shanghairanking.com/ARWU2014.html

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2014

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-global-universities/rankings?int=9cf408

http://www.urapcenter.org/2014/world.php?q=MS0yNTA=

http://cwur.org/2014/

http://www.leidenranking.com/ranking

Strand Poly is more reputable than Warwick. Easy to conclude.

LoL... It’s obvious that you do not know what you are talking about. But I do understand your position given that you have not attended a top UK university, never experienced being interviewed by a top bank, have never been hired by a well-established company, and the only knowledge you now have comes from hearsay of people who are just like you bum and a complete idiot.

Now, let’s go to the topic.
Warwick is a top target uni for top bulge bracket firms. The biggest names in the banking and financial institutions, such as, Goldman Sachs, J.P. Morgan, Barclays, UBS, Morgan Stanley, Citi, Credit Suisse, Deutsche Bank, Bank of America Merrill Lynch, as well as, the top management consulting firms, such as, McKinsey, Bain, Deloitte, Accenture, among others, do ALL regularly recruit at Warwick. They all consider Warwick to be a top feeder school, along with Oxbridge and the elite London unis of LSE and UCL, plus Imperial. This is a feat that a 2nd-rate uni like King’s College can only wish to have.
Look, I'm not inventing this. This is reality that I'm talking about.
And, again, these are not so-so companies and firms that regularly recruit at Warwick. These are the biggest, most influential, more stable, most respected companies/banks which all consider Warwick as one of the only 6 core schools to recruit top talents from in the UK.

Another series of lies from you.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

So you are lying Mckinsey recruits in Warwick?:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Not even WBS can come up with such a lie. It is not even good enough to reveal publicly its employment reports like other top MBA schools.:rolleyes:

Stop lying.

Here are facts for you:

http://emerging.fr/rank_en.html

King’s is older, you mean. But it doesn't have the rich history that a great uni like Oxford, for instance, can boast of.
I admit it does have a leg up on this fight given it’s older. But to say it has a good history is a form of baloney. If anything, I’d take that against King’s, as this has only established my previous assumption that King’s College did not take advantage of its age (when it has fewer competitors back then which was the perfect time to gain momentum and speed up in the race) as King’s College's prestige and resources, as well as, the quality of the students, are declining now.
Maybe it’s true King’s was a powerhouse 100 years ago. But today, it’s not generally considered a top 10 UK university anymore. Thanks to its history then it has slipped in all nationally-covered reputational surveys, lol...

Show me the survey results, if indeed, such surveys existed. But I know you can’t. It's because there’s wasn't a survey of such, in the first place.

Bar Oxbridge and Edinburgh, it has the strongest alumni record.

That is a rich history.

Warwick is a better Loughborough. Its alumni is poor, no wonder it could not raise £50m and KCL raised £500m piss easy.

Do you know a reputable university that cannot raise £50m in 5 years?:rolleyes:
Okay. Since you’ve asked for it how, I’ll tell you now how.

Take a look at how skewed rankings that cover universities located in different countries such as this one made by QS. Here’s how they ranked the unis: http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2014#sorting=rank+region=+country=+faculty=+stars=false+search=
At #2 was Imperial. Oxford was #5. Really? Even the most ambitious engineer wannabe would rather matriculate at Oxford than at Imperial, as the data have shown Oxford almost always winning in the cross-admit battles between the two, as Oxford's enrollment yield rate is quite high. Oxford has better name recognition, both in the UK and in the USA. It has a more powerful alumni, has bigger funding, more resources, etc, etc, how in the world would Oxford tail only to Imperial? Come on. Let’s get real. Imperial is a great institution for engineering and hard sciences, but Oxford is better. Yet in this ranking which you’re supporting says, Imperial is superior to Oxford. Is that really so? Well, I don’t think so.

Let’s take another example, as a case in point. In the same ranking table, it appeared that Michigan was ranked #23, several notches ahead of Brown, which was ranked at #52. Brown is an Ivy League school, very well-funded and has been able to attract better quality students than Michigan has. Yet, again, according to this league table that you’re supporting, Michigan is superior to Brown. In the USA, almost everyone would rather attend Brown than Michigan. That is the reality in the USA, which, apparently, you’re clueless about given you have not been to America.
In the same league table, Dartmouth didn't even make it to the top 100. Yet, I would wager that almost everyone who has been accepted to both Dartmouth College and King’s College (which was ranked #16, btw), would attend Dartmouth. Yet, on the league table that you’re supporting, King's would appear to be a more attractive school to go to than Dartmouth is. No way is King’s better than Dartmouth. You are fooling yourself when you seriously think that King’s is number 16 in the world is is superior to schools like Duke, UPenn, Northwestern, Cornell or the top Liberal Arts Colleges in the USA, which aren't even ranked, which, makes your claim even more ridiculous!!! Do you think King’s would rival in the cross-admit battles against Amherst, Williams or Pomona? You’re only fooling yourself if you think there would be more cross-admitted students choosing King’s over those colleges, lol...

And, it’s for those reasons why international league tables are more of a ranking for graduate and post-graduate schools where research output was measured and given more weight than undergrad-driven criteria, such as, schools offering better college experience, lower ratio of student-to-faculty, better facilities, more hands-on faculty, a more uniformly smarter student bodies, etc, etc…

But you keep on referring to a league table that says Surrey is the 6th best university in the UK and better than LSE?:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

So your argument is the Surrey is more reputable than LSE?

Lancaster is more reputable than UCL?

Loughborough is more reputable than Edinburgh?

Lol. I would not be surprised you make such a claim.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

International league tables use academic measures and reputational surveys, local league tables look at student satisfaction and spending per student (customer services measures).

If you want to be happy, use local league tables. If you want to go to a reputable university, use international league tables.
Original post by Princepieman
LSE is different because it's arguably on par with Oxbridge reputation wise and academically. Even if it increased its number of domestic places, it would still retain its high entry requirements.

St. Andrews isn't quite at that level - even if they try to be. That's why I think limiting domestic places gives them a much greater advantage on the entry reqs side of these rankings.

LSE has that reputation mainly because it focuses on economics and politics, which is a "hot subject" with all the investment banking wannabes. Basically, its a degree that pays well. St Andrews, Durham, UCL are all good multifaculty unis that teach the "other" subjects which tend to get brushed aside. History, English Lit and Arts in general just doesn't have the same draw as Econ/Politics with all the famous speakers and money that comes along with it.

This is also the reason LSE has such a high cutoff. In what LSE does, it does rival Oxbridge i don't disagree with that at all, but it is what it is I suppose. I feel people should still recognize that fact.

I think if St Andrews increased places it still would have high entry requirements, if those increased places decreased student satisfaction however, they would drop.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending