The Student Room Group

Pgce secondary english interview - help!

Helloo,

So I've got an interview with University of Cambirdge (PGCE), Cambridge SCITT and University of East Anglia (PGCE) coming up and I'm really really nervous. What actually happens in the interview?

I'm only 20 (21 in July) as well, so I'm worried I'm too young, or perhaps appear to young.

I've had experience, tutoring a group of 6 year 9 students across the last few months and organising other tutors within the organisation I volunteer with as a Schools Officer. I've also had experience observing and assisting in Y7-Y11 classes for 40 hours so far. Plus, I'm mentoring a group of (10-20) Y10 pupils in creating a small enterprise to raise money for Children in Need. Is this enough experience?

Another issue I'm worried about is that I study at Anglia Ruskin University and I've heard other employers/universities aren't a fan.

Thanks so much for your help!
Reply 1
Original post by madkins94
Helloo,

So I've got an interview with University of Cambirdge (PGCE), Cambridge SCITT and University of East Anglia (PGCE) coming up and I'm really really nervous. What actually happens in the interview?

I'm only 20 (21 in July) as well, so I'm worried I'm too young, or perhaps appear to young.

I've had experience, tutoring a group of 6 year 9 students across the last few months and organising other tutors within the organisation I volunteer with as a Schools Officer. I've also had experience observing and assisting in Y7-Y11 classes for 40 hours so far. Plus, I'm mentoring a group of (10-20) Y10 pupils in creating a small enterprise to raise money for Children in Need. Is this enough experience?

Another issue I'm worried about is that I study at Anglia Ruskin University and I've heard other employers/universities aren't a fan.

Thanks so much for your help!

Hi, I had an interview with Cambridge for a secondary languages PGCE, so not exactly the same but the whole day was really relaxed and everyone was very friendly! It involved a group discussion about teaching in general, a presentation which we were given some time to prepare for on the day, a writing task and a one-on-one interview. That all sounds like a lot but honestly the day went really quickly so don't worry!

Age wise, there was a huge range of people from just out of university to people who had worked in other sectors. I don't think age matters! And it sounds like you have a lot of experience, just make sure to reflect on it in the interview.

Good luck with all your interviews, just remember that if they've invited you your application must have impressed them so don't worry about them not being a fan of your uni or anything!
Reply 2
Original post by mfl2015
Hi, I had an interview with Cambridge for a secondary languages PGCE, so not exactly the same but the whole day was really relaxed and everyone was very friendly! It involved a group discussion about teaching in general, a presentation which we were given some time to prepare for on the day, a writing task and a one-on-one interview. That all sounds like a lot but honestly the day went really quickly so don't worry!

Age wise, there was a huge range of people from just out of university to people who had worked in other sectors. I don't think age matters! And it sounds like you have a lot of experience, just make sure to reflect on it in the interview.

Good luck with all your interviews, just remember that if they've invited you your application must have impressed them so don't worry about them not being a fan of your uni or anything!

Thank you so much for your reply - You have really put me at ease. I think I'm just extremely nervous.

Regarding the one-to-one interview:
How long did it take?
What kind of questions did they ask?

How do you think yours went? Good luck and I hope you got in!!

Thanks again!
Reply 3
Thank you so much for your reply - You have really put me at ease. I think I'm just extremely nervous.

Regarding the one-to-one interview:
How long did it take?
What kind of questions did they ask?

How do you think yours went? Good luck and I hope you got in!!

Thanks again!

Hey - no problem :smile:

It went well thanks - I got an offer! I had actually applied to your other two places as well haha but withdrew after getting the offer because Cambridge is much better for me location wise etc etc

The one-to-one interview took about 20 mins, but it was at the end of the day so by that time we had all really relaxed into it. They asked a few things about my subject knowledge, and then just really general questions - why do I want to be a teacher, why this course etc. - nothing unexpected. I think I just rambled a bit haha but make sure to talk about your experience and do a bit of research about the course beforehand! This website really helped me
http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/interviews/ivteaching.htm
- quite a few of the questions on there came up.

When are your interviews? Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by mfl2015
Hey - no problem :smile:

It went well thanks - I got an offer! I had actually applied to your other two places as well haha but withdrew after getting the offer because Cambridge is much better for me location wise etc etc

The one-to-one interview took about 20 mins, but it was at the end of the day so by that time we had all really relaxed into it. They asked a few things about my subject knowledge, and then just really general questions - why do I want to be a teacher, why this course etc. - nothing unexpected. I think I just rambled a bit haha but make sure to talk about your experience and do a bit of research about the course beforehand! This website really helped me
http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/interviews/ivteaching.htm
- quite a few of the questions on there came up.

When are your interviews? Good luck!

Ah well done, that's really good! Did you hear back pretty swiftly?

Have you chosen which college you're going to stay at? I heard Homerton and Hughes offers most PGCE students accommodation.

Thank you for the link - that's really useful.

My interviews are next Wednesday for both Cambridge PGCEE and SCITT and next Thursday for UEA.

Thanks again!
Reply 5
Ah well done, that's really good! Did you hear back pretty swiftly?

Have you chosen which college you're going to stay at? I heard Homerton and Hughes offers most PGCE students accommodation.

Thank you for the link - that's really useful.

My interviews are next Wednesday for both Cambridge PGCEE and SCITT and next Thursday for UEA.

Thanks again!

I heard back about a week after :smile: I got accepted into Homerton - I chose it because I heard they're really helpful to PGCE students, but I probably will just live at home. Have you decided which colleges to put down?

Good luck and let me know how you get on with them all :smile:
Reply 6
Oh well done! That's brilliant news.

If I get in I was going to apply for Homerton and Hughes I think.

Thanks for all your help again! I'll let you know :smile:
Reply 7
Hey

Just to let you know I got into Cambridge School's Direct!
Reply 8
Hey

Just to let you know I got into Cambridge School's Direct!

Oh that's great - congratulations!!! :biggrin: you must be really pleased
Reply 9
Original post by mfl2015

Hello I am applying to teach Maths within London and I have applied direct to schools in Westminster which is the closest for me. So far I only have few more weeks left before the school shut down for summer. I seem to be nervous like most people about the interview and the preparation for the interview. I am now going to get some books and information on my subject to build up my portfolio of information to prepare a lesson for the interview. can you suggest anything more?

Thank you.

Quick Reply