The Student Room Group

Should I Retake Science and English GCSEs for Medicine?

I got As in most of my subjects except core science and English language (and English literature but that doesn't matter to me) where I got Bs and I want to do medicine at Southampton Uni but they want As in those subjects so I want to retake them.

I'm taking part in an access to Southampton Scheme soon so that might help but is it a good idea to retake them while I'm still in college (this is my AS year) so that even if they end up accepting me I'll easier time getting jobs straight after because I feel like the Bs will put me down when I'm applying for jobs.

If I retake English and core science it would be too late for me to have the grades by the time I start Applying to Uni but is it still worth while doing it now while I'm still in college or after uni maybe? Since I'm considering starting biomedical sciences for a year then transferring to medicine since the entry requirements will be lowered.

Thanks for for reading and answering if you do! :smile:
Original post by Pine3278
I got As in most of my subjects except core science and English language (and English literature but that doesn't matter to me) where I got Bs and I want to do medicine at Southampton Uni but they want As in those subjects so I want to retake them.

I'm taking part in an access to Southampton Scheme soon so that might help but is it a good idea to retake them while I'm still in college (this is my AS year) so that even if they end up accepting me I'll easier time getting jobs straight after because I feel like the Bs will put me down when I'm applying for jobs.

If I retake English and core science it would be too late for me to have the grades by the time I start Applying to Uni but is it still worth while doing it now while I'm still in college or after uni maybe? Since I'm considering starting biomedical sciences for a year then transferring to medicine since the entry requirements will be lowered.

Thanks for for reading and answering if you do! :smile:

Hi there,
I would firstly start by saying that your GCSEs are fine for a fair few medical schools, with a fair few not putting you at any disadvantage at all. I would, however, avoid retaking GCSEs as this is often looked at unfavourably and some universities will not take you for repeating. May I ask why you are planning this all around Southampton? There are plenty of fantastic medical schools (Basically all of them!) throughout the UK who produce just as good a doctors. Successful medical applicants put their career path before their uni choices, and thus apply strategically to universities that give them the best chance of being selected for interview. With your GCSEs you will easily find 4 medical schools to apply to at no disadvantage.
I would forget about your GCSE grades and move on. What is far more important is that you obtain As at AS Level which for most universities is a major selecting factor. You also will have to succeed at the UKCAT which, again, is a bigger factor than GCSEs for a lot of universities.
Also, on your point about applying for biomedical science - it is very VERY hard to get a transfer place and it should not be relied upon. You should be prepared to go on and finish that degree at a minimum. (Graduate entry medicine is much harder as well).
Another point is that in any free time you have right now you should be working on extracurriculars/work experience, retaking exams will eat into that time.
So to conclude, I would wait and see if the Southampton access programme works out for you and then maybe you could apply, but otherwise I'd forget it. Do well at all your future academic endeavours and these will more than compensate for what you lack at GCSE. And finally, get ready to strategically apply, i.e. picking which universities you have the best shot at - if you truly want to get into medicine, this is the way.
I honestly wish you the best of luck in your application, I'm sorry for not giving you the answer you probably want, but you'll thank me in a year of two!
All the best :-)
Reply 2
Original post by olivervick

...I honestly wish you the best of luck in your application, I'm sorry for not giving you the answer you probably want, but you'll thank me in a year of two!
All the best :-)

I'm thanking you right now!!! Honestly this is really good advice. I'll follow your advice on not retaking the GCSE's and focus more on work experience etc..
I'll start looking into other unis that I meet the entry level of :smile:
Thanks again
Original post by Pine3278
I'm thanking you right now!!! Honestly this is really good advice. I'll follow your advice on not retaking the GCSE's and focus more on work experience etc..
I'll start looking into other unis that I meet the entry level of :smile:
Thanks again

You're very welcome, I'd recommend speaking to your careers department at school for some further help and advice. A lot of people on here are also great for advice and help. I'd point you in the direction of Barts and St Georges to start off researching, I'm pretty sure your GCSEs will be fine for there

Quick Reply

Latest